west valley creek (downingtown) hatches

huntfish

huntfish

i was fishing west valley today around 6 o'clock and had one strike on an olive caddis pupa..other than that i was skunked. i saw many rising fish but i do not know what they were rising to? midges? i did not see any sulfurs of drakes while i was there. does anyone know much about west valley that can help me out? thanks!

I had the exact same problem earlier this week. I could not figure out what the fish were rising too.

yea if i were to assume id say midges but i really don't know. i was looking at my phone when i had a strike yesterday on the olive caddis pupa and was late setting the hook so he shook off. hopefully someone on here can help us out though

I used to fish it as a kid...I do remember specifically finding pods of rising fish that appeared to be eating nothing, lol. I used to catch them on midges fished in the film. Good to hear that the stream still has some activity. I stopped fishing it regularly right around the time they built Main Street in Exton. I remember that water used to run cold through the middle of the summer. I used to wet wade that through the center of the creek and was always amazed by the amount of fish scattering. Then the fall would come and I swear the fish seemed like they would all but disappear.

In terms of hatches I do remember running into a couple of hatches there when I was a kid but I couldn't tell you today what they were...maybe Hendricksons? Sulphurs? I do remember a fairly decent sized brown mayfly. I also saw the same brown mayfly over on Beaver Creek on the other side of Downingtown.

i went to west valley tonight for a couple of hours and cracked the code. i came prepared with some dry midges and sure enough landed 5 decent sized browns. the conditions were about the same as i went last time. clear skies water temp was 65 degrees, clear and a little low if i were to be picky.

Back