The Yough in the Winter time

kierkan

kierkan

This might be a stupid a question, but is the Yough generally fishable in the winter? I might have to head up that way next week and was wondering if I should even consider it. I never had before and have only fished it a few times. I'm mostly considering the Confluence area. Even if it wont be good it might be better than the alternative.

Absolutely! Bring your midges, nymphs, streamers, and even some micro caddis. The section from the dam to the split will be your best bet as the the water will be most influenced by the bottom release. For top water action, the section just above the bike bridge to the bridge above.... Or the section just above the cassleman.. I would fish the section below the bike bridge if using streamers / nymphs.

Of course ... its always dependent on the release levels.

Thanks for the David. I've only ever been up that way twice so wasn't sure what it would be like. I will be sure to check the flows. Hopefully, it will be someplace I get to more in the year to come!

Look for flow of under 900.

I've never fished there in the winter - but have heard rumors of some midges hatching then. Will have to try it sometime.

Right now, the flow has dropped to 700 cfs in the tail race right below the dam. Not bad, and definitely fishable IMO

dryflyguy wrote:
I've never fished there in the winter - but have heard rumors of some midges hatching then. Will have to try it sometime.

We'll have to fix that!

Because of the outflow the upper section never freezes and there are always trout there tto fish for the Yough is the winter place to go around these parts.

Back