six penny berks co

I

iPhish

Im going to be doing a bunch of work on my dads house out that way over the next few weeks. I used to fish Hay Creek a bunch when I was younger. I did some searching around for some different water and found Six Penny. Seems to be a Class A stream. I do know where it is. We used to run around the woods around there, smoking things that teenagers smoke, but never fished it.

Does anyone have any experience fishing here? Im pretty new to fly fishing but I like to fish new water. Any info would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

It's been a few years, so this could be out of date.

The best area of it is public and posted. Bottom end of the park, and they don't let people in there due to proximity to an old quarry.

Above the road there are fish, but it's relatively low gradient, and thick in places with briary type vegetation. It's not an easy one to fish, but they are there and you can catch a few with a stealthy, measured approach.

I've never tried it below the park, so I dunno. I do know it runs near the road, and a house, just outside the park, and there are posted signs there.

Personally, I wouldn't fish it this time of year, the brush is a nightmare. Late march-early May while the briars are still recovering from winter is the ideal time to fish the streams in the park.

I fished it two weeks ago. Its very close quarters fishing but its doable from 345 upstream. Wear pants, the briars are terrible. Downstream is still all posted and ranger rick will love to nail you with trespassing ticket. Got me for "blocking" a hydrant when I wasn't. I've "heard" the fishing is good below 345. I've only fished around the park so I can't speak to below its boundaries.

This thread is a better fit with Stream Locations and will be moved shortly.
DaveW

Sorry about that. I didn't know there was a place specifically for this type of thread. Thanks for the info.

Well this is somewhat helpful.

Moved just outside the Bird on the exeter side in November. I'm honestly a little blown away with all the options in the area.

If you are up that way you might do better fishing Willow Creek or possibly Furnace Creek. Along Rte. 73 there is an access road to a small park that goes back to the stream. I haven't fishing that section in a few years, so it may or may not be posted. It's not a long stretch but there are wild browns in there.

Manatawny might be another stream to look at but I am vague on where to access it.

Back