Salmon River Area Stream Info

mcneishm

mcneishm

I've fished the SR several times in the past couple of years in the DSR and done well, spectacularly well last Fall. We generally make a "death drive" and thus have no time to explore. This year, the guy I fish with has retired, as am I, so we have more time to explore the area. I'm interested in finding information about other streams in that area, especially access. I do understand that flow in streams other than the SR is controlled more by the amount of rain as opposed to what's let out of the dam on the SR. We're considering a guide for a day but that's a pricey undertaking though perhaps worth it for a one-time deal to gather information quickly. Anyway, any info would be helpful, perhaps best done via PM.

For public access, here are the maps. Look for Oswego Co in Region 6 and Jefferson Co. in Region 7.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9924.html

It's been discussed before here, but the tribs can be very good and exploring can produce some surprises. Runs can be different in each, so some networking/exploring are in order. The Sandy's are probably the most popular Salmon R alternatives and some of the walk in areas have good numbers of fish with low numbers of people. Try the very upper sections of streams like Trout Bk where the tumble off the plateau. It looks like a high gradient brookie stream, but you can tangle with fish measured in lbs rather than inches.

all lake Ontario tribs ( and Erie tribs in ny) will get fish. timing is more important than location. a rule of thumb is the larger the river or stream, the earlier the fish will run. a tie breaker between similar sized streams would be the stream furthest east will get an earlier run. the more you fish and more streams you check out, the more comfortable and knowledgeable you will become. getting a guide to show you smaller streams really isn't worth it because they either won't do it, or they will take you to a somewhat lesser known stream you could find yourself that is still crowded.

Try South Sandy Creek in Ellisburg. You can access the stream by parking next to the Fire Department. They have a donation box to stick a couple a few dollars in to park. Easy stream access from right there. It can get crowded during the Salmon Run but like anywhere, you can find room by walking a bit. Check it out for steelhead in late October too.

Back