Places to fish

lonekimono

lonekimono

Hello everyone, I live in the Pittston area. I am looking for some places to fly fish for trout. Does anyone know some goods spots in the area. I would appreciate any help. Thanks! Ron

Dear lonekimono,

Lackawanna River, Lehigh River, Bowman's Creek, how many more do you want?

You have a lot of opportunities to fly fish for trout up your way. Get a map and start looking for blue lines on it. Fish it a bit, if you don't do anything and see no signs of encouragement go to the next blue line.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

If you're in Pittston I would suggest the Lehigh, above and below the dam. Just watch the flow reports - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01447800

Anything around 400cfs is relatively good fishing. Above the dam, up through Thornhurst flows are not an issue, if they are releasing water like this weekend for white water rafters the areas above the dam are still at "normal" fishable levels.

The Lackawanna is like a New Zeland trout stream. You won't believe it when you look at it, but it can compete with the spring creeks of Pa. That is the closest to you and will probably be the most enjoyable, because you have the chance to hook a 20" wild brown every time you go.

Ger a map and find the Gilmartin bridge in Archibald. Fish under that bridge and you're almost guaranteed a hog.

Thanks! I will give Archbald a shot. Is there any other access points to the Lackawanna?

Dear lonekimono,

There is a park in Olyphant. Turn right at the propeller and once you cross the Lackawanna make a left to go back to the park.

There is also Robert Mellow Park just up Rte 247. You might find some parking around Depot Street too. Just look on a map for places where the road crosses the creek and you'll find a place to park and fish.

I don't know all the street names but I do know there are plenty of places to access the Lacky.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back