Pine Creek in Berks County

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Has anybody ever fished the Pine Creek in Berks? I drove past and it looked like an OK stream.

Which one? Upper end of Pine near Hawk Mtn on SGL: wild brooks; below is a stocked trout fishery to the mouth.

Pine near Lobachsville: Class A brown trout. Permission to fish needs to be granted by landowners, who seem fairly willing.

On state game lands. Its closer to me

I have been to this tiny stream a couple of times. I have gotten a few brookies each time but there is not a lot of great habitat to hold trout. The trout that are there are tucked under bushes or logs so I can be pretty tough. This is one I would skip if I had to drive more than 20 mins to get there because there are a lot better streams in the area. It's just not worth the effort to me or maybe I have just been spoiled on other streams

Do you have any other suggestions?

I've fished the one on the SGL. Through the SGL it's fairly large, as brookie streams go anyway. I did catch fish but it wasn't what I'd call "good". It's not a real long stretch, and too much of it is kind of flat water.

That said, above where it crosses the road (near the gun range), it looks somewhat smaller, goes into some thick briary type stuff, and is posted. I have not personally fished this section, but am told from sources I trust that it is much better in this section.

Below the SGL, it's stocked and bigger, but holds a fair number of wild fish as well.

There are a number of good streams in the Schuylkill Cty area, but many of them have posting issues, at least for portions of their lengths.

The lower end, the section that comes out of the SGL is decent during the fall, and has decent habitat, but it does get too warm to fish during the summer.

Back