Penns Creek Access at Coburn

L

LimestoneSpecial

I understand the area after crossing the wooden walking bridge near the tunnel to cross the creek is now heavily posted with no access permitted on the old railroad bed.

Can someone please confirm that?

If you have been there you are probably familiar with the camp in that location and how the landowner has been clearing out the trees on the south side of the railroad bed.

I used to walk quite a ways from the bridge and cut down onto Penns from the railroad bed.

Is access to the same railroad bed available from Ingleby road or is there land owner problems there too?

Any suggestions how to get downstream from the parking area / wooden bridge?

Searching properties for sale in the area I came across a listing for the property. It was sold.

So the new owner has it posted now?

When I was there last weekend I saw that, it was news to me.

It is posted about 100' past the bridge on the trail, the bridge itself is not posted.

And yes, you can access the rail bed from downstream at Ingleby and work your way up. Pick up the rail bed at the weather rock...but I'd park streamside down at the cul de sac.

This sucks. I use to walk along the old rail road bed a ways and then cut down to the creek. How far along the trail does this posted property go?

Yep completely posted. We walked on the other side of the stream and a property owner there yelled at us last weekend for someone (not us) parking not in a spot and taking up about 1' of the grass. I did my best to apologize for someone else parking there but he was pretty mad about it.

that said, looks like one of the best options is just to walk along the creek there for a while and then hit one of the paths if you want to walk a ways down. Didn't check how far the posted signs go.

I saw that the weekend of the jam, first I saw it as well. There is a well worn path at the sign that leads to the water. I didn't bother to check how far down it went either. It would be interesting to find out though.

So the guy that posted it, did it to prove a point. IMO Kids were camping on his property, having campfires, littering, etc. He threatened to post it. Rails to trails, whoever is responsible for it, said you can't. He said, 'yes I can' and he sure the heck did. Thats the way it was explained to me this winter.

I had met the guy before, a couple years ago, and he seemed nice enough. I know he was trying to sell that land up to a month ago. If he found a buyer thats news to me.

His land only extends a few hundred yards down the trail. Infact, most people look to see if his vehicle is around and just walk through it anyway.

My advice is to stick to the stream. He is not afraid to call the cops as I have heard.

I spent some time this afternoon searching for the property listing that stated the property had sold. No luck but if I come across it I'll post a link. It was just a few weeks ago.

Couldn't find a date reference to go along with this listing, so I aplogize if it's old news.

http://www.cabelastrophyproperties.com/ViewDetail?id=63961

I just wrote to Michael Richardson to inquire about whether the sale took place recently. Will let you know what he comes back with.

That is interesting. I stopped there sat evening on my way to the jamboree - and that parking lot was full. A bunch of people must have still accessed the steam somehow from there.
I don't understand why you can't still walk downstream on the road past the houses on the same side as the parking lot - as ryguyfy apparantly did.
I used to go down that way quite often - although not recently.

Lol, those buyers are gonna be real mislead if they think those Pa properties are idyllic cabin sites..gonna be staring at rig lights in the night sky. Some properties in there that would be very interesting to the board...

Bill, you can still walk past the cabins and access the stream, we did last weekend and had no problem, chatted with people that were out working in there yards and such, no issues at all. we did learn that the cabin and home owners DO NOT LIKE when the access gets blocked by idiot fishermen parking and blocking their road, which I can totally understand.
as for the property across the bridge? 29 grand for a piece of property with NO vehicle access? yikes. that's pricy for what amounts to a place to put a tent, cause your never gonna be able to get trucks in to drill a water well, put in a septic, deliver building materials, etc.
wonder if the state didn't buy it to simply add it to the state forest land which pretty much surrounds it?

The area where the cabins are, on the same side of the creek continuing past the parking area is all state ground. Correct me if I'm wrong but, there is no way they can legally keep you from accessing that area. They most likely all have state lease cabins. They may not like you walking through, but you have every right to.

I love that it's posted less people fished last night from the edge of his posted signs to all most Ingleby didn't see anyone. But the circus is coming to town non the less. It's amazing how idiots park alot of times down by the tunnel to **** that guy off. That guy is so easy to get along with he just wants out of towners to use some common sense.

He seems like a really nice guy

There is no way that the property owner has the legal right to own the old railroad bed. If it is part of the rail trail, then the trail organization payed for access to the strip of land that the railroad went through. back when all the rail roads were torn out, it was very unusual for the rail property to be sold to the owners of adjacent properties. If you look at property maps, a lot of the old rail land is still owned by railroad companies or entities.

Back