Off to Colorado

jbomb

jbomb

I'm heading out this weekend for a trip to Colorado. It's my first trip out west, so I'm not sure what to expect, but limiting the trip to public water I expect it to be similar to PA with new scenery.

The plan is to fish the headwaters of the Arkansas, the Blue River, Upper Colorado and possibly the Frying Pan. I've already tied about 6 dozen flies and looked at a bunch of maps, but if anyone has tips as far as access is concerned or a favorite spot a day trip's distance from the Frisco/Brekenridge area they're willing to share I'd appreciate it. I'll post some pictures when I get back ... provided I don't forget my camera along with all the flies I have been tying :)

I fished the south platte below 11 mile canyon a couple of weeks ago. Loaded with bows, browns, and cuts. Caught the trifecta after 3 hrs on the river. Lots of public access and gorgeous scenery. Its not too far from Breck. Just take 9 south. Also, I caught 90% of my trout on dries. Don't believe the hype that you have to nymph in Colorado to be successful especially if you fish until well past dark. If you go, bring that camera or you'll regret it. The boulders and road tunnels are stunning.

Good luck..Was out there last year but was in RMNP. I do want to do a trip to the area your heading too soon. Take plenty of pictures and make sure to post them.

jd - if you want to get rid of jet lag and acclimate yourself to altitude w/o gearing up with waders, hit the ponds across the Interstate from Copper Mountain for a few dozen little brookies.

Have fun out there - the trouts in CO are much easier to catch than in PA.

CO has very strict tresspass laws. much of the blue is private as is most streams in CO. out of the rivers you named the Pan was may favorite, with decent public access. try the outflow of the dam on the pan but you have to get there way befor daylight to get the spot.

In Silverthorne, below the dam, the Blue is accessible and public. At least the part under Rt 70.

If you're fishing the Colorado, I assume you mean the headwaters in the RMNP? The fishing can be on and off. But in the same area, there is Timber Lake, about a 4 mile hike up. Fishing there was awesome, lots of 14-16 inchers, and I didn't think the hike/climb was too bad. You could do it as a day hike. Also, drive up to the top of the mountains, for the view.

To the west, the Frying Pan is nice and lots of it was open. Everyone congregates below the dam to get the bigguns, but there are fish all the way downstream. Awesome scenery. Nearby, in Carbondale, is the Roaring Fork. It's bigger water, but lots is accessible and public.

If you're going to the Frying Pan, I assume you'll head over Independence Pass to Aspen -- worth the trip! From Frisco to Leadville, it's kinda industrial. But if you go to Vail and head south on 24 to Leadville, the scenery is much better. There are meadow streams in the valleys between the mountains. Beaver dams and all. I've always wanted to stop and fish those. South of Leadville, there is a good stretch of the Arkansas headwaters, always lots of cars parked with guys fishing. On the other side of Independence Pass heading down to Aspen, there is the upper Roaring Fork, with smaller bookies.

As someone said, dries work fine. In rough water, you need to nymph, but on slower water, the dries will work. Ranging from big stimulators down to micro-midges.

Enjoy!

Thank you all for the responses! I appreciate the warning about trespass laws, and private bits of the Blue River in Silverthorne and elsewhere.

Luckily, the town has a map of public access for fishing the Blue on their website, which probably means it's a high pressure place, but I doubt it sees more pressure than my favorite local spot.

The State also maintains a pretty amazing online fishing atlas that is integrated with Google Maps. I'm going to use that as a starting point for questions at local fly shops. I'll probably stick to special regulations waters, and the parks, and hopefully make friends with a local or two along the way.

Its really great yer sharing this opportunity with your cuz-uncle, and hes really looking forward to it. I can sense a change in his demeanor the closer we get to the date.
Dont let him talk you into cards if you guys tie one on like he does to those poor suckers at camp. :)
Happy for you guys and if you forget your camera I surely wont let you live it down.

squaretail: "[it] turns out not where but who you're with is what really matters." Except in this case I think the three of us will really experience "the best of what's around." More Dave Matthews Band references in this post than I'm comfortable with but it fits nicely.

The rods arrived in Denver today. One of my bags is packed and ready to go. I've got waders, boots, vest, fly boxes, camera and tying materials. Everything else will be thrown together tomorrow before hopping the train. I get in around 10 so I'll see you shortly after. I'm pumped!

I didnt know it was only you three till just this morning. Its also time for my yearly trip to my aunts in Maryland for channel cats and crabs, so I wont see you till yous get back as I leave in a couple hours.
But you can bet I'll be thinkin about yas on more than one occassion.

I also liked the Frying Pan and would recomend the Roaring Fork at Aspen.

I have a suggestion for packing, if it is not too late.

The air in Colorado is very dry. I would take 2 to 3 pairs of river trunks (ie: swim suit with pockets) and 2 or 3 of the wicking type tee shirts along with a little laundry detergent. After you take a shower wash out the trunks and shirt in a sink and then lay them out in the back seat of your car and they will be dry by lunch.

Just a thought to save space and weight to make room for fishing gear!

Everywhere you look will be like a post card so take lots of pictures.

Martin

Here's my first fish in CO. I'm still learning how to pose for the two handed fish photo.

first_fish.jpg

Jbomb,
I was in CO last summer on a fly trip. Best trip in my life so far. We fished the Upper Colorado, Muddy Creek, the Pan, Roaring Fork, and the best one of them all was the Yampa. If you can somehow fish the Yampa you wont regret it. I went out with PA guide Ben Turpin. The yampa is like the Pequest, except with much more fish, and a lot bigger fish. The upper colorado around this time of year is pretty good on dries. We fished a lot of creeks with Stimmys. If you want more info about the Yampa let me know.- Kev

I will strongly second recommend the Yampa just below the Stagecoach reservoir. Just got back from my second trip to Yampa and it has solidify my thoughts that it is the best tailwater in the country. It will blow your mind the number and size of this wild fishery. On this trip I managed to get the Colorado grand slam all in the same day. It has everything from rocky pocket water, to long slow deep pools, to meadow fishing. Good luck and have fun. Post more pics and trip report when you are done. Here is s couple of pics from my trip.

Mike

9567885022_c1fc27264c_n.jpg

9567885796_52aabdefe7_n.jpg

9565095039_3a911b2322_n.jpg

Nice fish Smike!

I got back on Saturday. We didn't hit the Yampa, but rather decided to try it on another trip.

We had a great time on the Blue River, Arkansas and Frying Pan. We all caught our fair share of fish and the scenery is just fantastic. I'll post a couple more pics once I sort through them all.

Back