Laurel hill state park

• Thread starter Transporter4781
  • Start date
T

Transporter4781

Headed to Laurel Hill State park (stream) to drop in some flies but I'm concerned about the water temp. I have heard it is warming up fast. With that said, how will that effect the hatches and what should be used? At least to start with then once I there I'd tie something to match. Just curious how the water temp will mess with the typical hatch there.

Do you mean the ant hatch or the beetle hatch? You do know it is July right?

I am aware that yesterday was the 1st day of July. haha. I have read that the Slate Drakes come off in July around that area, as well as the Yellow Drakes, and several others. This is what I was referring to. The beetles however, I never thought about. I do suppose they are flying around till about August before they go lay their eggs.

I don't have any experience with Slate Drakes or Yellow Drakes on Laurel Hill. Slate Drakes are usually an all day sporadic kind of hatch. I would think that most of Laural Hills Slate Drakes crawl up on rocks to change into duns. Swinging big dark wetflys near the rocks may be effective. The Yellow Drakes should be a more concentrated emegence just before dark.

Now we talkin.
OK now that I have some direction, and how to focus on it, do you feel that the water temp has a lot, a little or no effect on this particular hatch, or any hatch for that matter generally speaking? My experience is that these kind of streams vary in water temp suddenly, depending on the amount of rain, and cloud cover. Im talking about the recent weather in that area. Seems like it has been raining a whole bunch (almost every day) so the water may be pretty cloudly and a little colder (hopefully). These smaller streams may be useless to fish if they are washed out at least for a while, but there is that perfect medium I am looking for. I guess the means of my question is how does water temp effect a known hatch depending on the size of the stream/river... and based on that, what is the prime water temp for a decent hatch? More or less am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? haha.

Laurel hill creek does get quite warm - at least in the lower stretches.
But many of it's feeders stay colder, and hold some nice brookie fishing. And yes, they do like beetles in the summer

I think that hatches will be more or less "on time" one or two weeks on either side of expected.

Water temperatures certainly effect the earlier or later equation, but not likely more than a day or two in either direction.

PS- this is more appropriate for the Fly Fishing Locations forum. I will move it soon, so look for it there. This forum (Ent.) is intended to collect information on bugs and identifications.

Transporter4781 wrote:
... do you feel that the water temp has a lot, a little or no effect on this particular hatch, or any hatch for that matter generally speaking?

Of course water temp has a huge impact on when a mayfly changes from nymph to subimago. Theses are cold blooded organisms so the warmer the water the faster their metabolism. However, when they emerge is more like baking a cake than hitting a certain temp threshold. The temp is a factor as it affects metabolism. Metabolism is a factor as is affects maturity rate. The bug hatches when the cake is done. Understand? The current temp of the water means much more to the fish you are chasing than it does to (the emergence time of ) the bugs.

... what is the prime water temp for a decent hatch?

As above current temp has little effect on the timing of a hatch. However, trout have been to ignore a hatch if the temps are below 50 or above 70.

Thanks to all. I understand completely and very helpful.
Sorry I posted this question here, I figured it was more about the bugs than the location however I see your point completely. Thanks again

Hatches on Laurel Hill Creek at this time of year is the least of your concerns. If you're dry fly fishing, terrestrials will take fish. More important is when you fish. First light is best on mornings when air temps are in the upper 50s and lower is better. Fish until water temps reach 69 to 70. If it's over that when you start. Try fishing the lake for bass. Finding trout is your second most important concern. Look for water below cold water tribs and deeper water in shaded, forested sections. Thankfully, we haven't had an exceptionally warm summer so far. And it's been wet wet wet, so there should be plenty of holdovers willing to play. HOWEVER, right now the flow is over 400 cfs. That is moving. I've never fished it over 250 cfs. Especially with drys. If you go when it's higher, try streamers, big stoner nymphs and most of all buggers.

PS--If LHC is too warm, try Jones Mill Run right in the park. It stays cool. Has native brookies as well as stocked fish... some of which move up from the lake. Only thing, it is very small water and requires stealth and casting consideration to fish.

Thinking of a black bugger with a beetle or an ant dropper...
I tied a bunch last night, however I may wait a little longer till it calms down a bit

Back