Juniata River near Lewistown this weekend

• Thread starter glenrockonthefly
  • Start date
G

glenrockonthefly

Hey All,

So I am camping this weekend at Reeds Gap and hope to head down to the Juniata Saturday afternoon evening, have Kayak and multiple people and vehicles thinking of 3-5 mile float or less

Any ideas for...

Put-in / Take-out points

Fly and spinning patterns/lures for mostly smallies

Thanks for help!

Sean

I was in Millerstown on Sunday. River was high and muddy. Saw some people float by in kayaks. If the heavy local rains continue up that way this week you may want to consider a back up plan.

The "J" is currently 4.3' at Newport this morning. That's on the high side but fishable. Clarity is another issue. As Mcseek said, you may wish to have backup plans as sudden thunderstorms can muddy the water. With respect to floating: you can put in at the boatramp at Lewistown (keep in mind that PFBC ramps require a launch permit or registration) and float down through the "narrows" however I don't recommend this if you're new to the area. The weather just seems to change dramatically in there and there are some runs and riffles that an experienced yaker would traverse with ease but that a new floater might want to avoid. An easier float might be upriver from around Mt Union/Mcveytown. Downriver from Mifflintown to Muskrat Springs isn't bad. The PFBC website has canoe trails describing the various float options. If you're fishing along the way, and not just paddling, keep the float short - five miles is plenty for a day.
Spin and fly fishing are both very productive on the "J" although spin fishers have an advantage in being able (generally) to cover more water and catch more fish. For flies, have a bunch of marabou streamers and some poppers/gurglers. Spin guys do well with tubes and small cranks.

Thanks for the input everyone! my back up plan is a case of Black & Tan!

Back