Fall fly fishing recommendations for Pine Creek

jjensen35

jjensen35

Guys,

I'm trying to plan a trip late this summer or into the Fall to the Pine Creek area. I have some flexibility on dates and wonder if someone can give me a recommendation on the best timing and patterns I should focus on. Late September? October? I don't have much experience fishing in the late season, but I've heard it can be good on Pine, particularly for big Browns that time of year. I've fished Pine in May, but have not had much luck compared to ther central PA streams that time of the year. Still trying to zero in on specific stretches of water and patterns. I would think terestrials would be the best bet for the surface late summer and into at least the early Fall, but not sure how long into September or October those pattterns would work. Really don't have a clue what sort of nymphs to fish that time of the year.

Appreciate any advice or experience you might be able to offer.

Check in the events forum I think some of the regs are planning a Quill Gordon Fall Summit. It base camps from that area.But I think over the mountain in the Kettle Creek Watershed.

Check in with the Slate Run Tackle Shop. They will put you on the right flies. Ask about their special drawer of flies for October on the Pine.

Try the Delayed Harvest stretch for better than average size browns.

Good advice so far.

Two more great options for information:

http://www.mcconnellscountrystore.com/contact.asp

http://bigmeadowsflyshop.com/

You'll find paflyfish members in both of those shops (OldLefty & sandfly). Those guys know the Pine Creek watershed like few others do.

I would say wait until early October. The Hotel and Wolfe's Store will most like have stocked their German Browns in the delayed harvest stretch by then. If you go before any of the stockings, you most likely will have a hard to finding any trout in the lower 2/3rds of Pine.

It was stocked by Wolf's in early September last year. You can watch the website for updates. If you do go and you are able, buying a stocking button for $10 helps purchase those beautiful browns.

I'd say after mid-sept. is very good, right up to the spawn then there isn't much fishing until the spawn is over which is usually after mid-Oct. Just about anywhere is good fishing during the fall.

With Pine having rock snot in it, you'll want to clean your waders afterwards before you fish your home creeks.

Guys,
Thanks for taking the time and passing along some great info and suggestions. Just what I needed. Didn't know about the stocking button donation opportunity. Will definitely participate and enjoy giving back something.Thanks again.

Back