Fall Brookie's

beadhead

beadhead

Not sure I want to fight the crowds in Erie this week. I've never fished for Brookie's this late in the fall before. How would the fishing be around Caldwell and Porcupine the time of year? Would they still be taking Dries?

I don't know the area, but I imagine dry fly fishing would be pretty slow. You could certainly catch a few on top, but I've done 10X better this time of year with small flashy streamers. Post-spawn brookies won't pass up a chance to get a big meal and fatten up before winter sets in.

Never fished those streams but I think a lot depends on the water temperature and whether it's fairly stable. Certainly if you see dries in the air tie one on and see what happens. I've had very good dry fly fishing in some NE PA streams during the post spawn period. so it may be good. One trip in particular there was snow flurries falling t dawn, but the brookies were hammering a royal wulff all day.

I had some decent success this week. Everything I caught was taken underneath on scaled down streamers. I did not see any surface activity but I basically fish mostly underneath anyway. They are still very opportunistic feeders and were hitting pretty hard. The water was cold, gin clear and they were extremely spooky, but it was a good challenge. Good luck if you give it a shot.

Looking forward to fishing Friday. I will make up some micro buggers and gift it a try. I will post a report. Thanks.

They'll pretty much take watever you throw at them

If you like fishing dries, I would definitely start off that way. Stimulator, Adams, bushy lookin caddis, royal wulff...something like that. You might be surprised.

OH YEAH!!! they will hit dries , on a day like we are supposed to have today , there may even be a hatch or three , caddis , stoneflies , sumpin.GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

beadhead wrote:
Not sure I want to fight the crowds in Erie this week. I've never fished for Brookie's this late in the fall before. How would the fishing be around Caldwell and Porcupine the time of year? Would they still be taking Dries?

Getting them to take dries can be challenge, but it can be done. Try a dry dropper, and try to fish during the warmest part of the day. Most brookie streams are cold during the summer let alone this time of year. But.... When the sun hits them and they start to warm up the fishing can be excellent. If that's not working try a small bugger I've had some banner days using a small black bugger once the water warms.

On this day a couple years ago, the only trout I caught was on a size 14 dark hendrickson dry:

20100124_SR.jpg

I fished Porcupine Creek. Very cold. I managed to bring one nice rainbow to hand. Missed a couple others. I fished a big Stimulator to start. The fish were slow on the rise, missed them. I switched to a flashy streamer and hooked a couple. Great stream. I'm looking forward to fishing it in the spring.

Glad you got out. Sounds like an ok day.

Back