allegheny river wilderness islands

bushwacker

bushwacker

planning a kayak trip this summer to the uper allegheny. multiple day. we will be mostly spin fishing for smallies but i may bring a small fly rod. any info/ recemendations from guys with experience in this area would be appreciated. looking for info on best islands for camping, most scenic stretches, fishing tips, great local eateries, etc. anything that will enhance the trip. thanks in advance.

How upper? Before the reservoir or after?

fly fisherman june - july 2013 issue has some info for you

>>Before the reservoir or after? >>

All the islands (assuming you are talking about the Federally designated wilderness area) are below the reservoir in the section between Buckaloons (mouth of the Brokenstraw) and Tionesta that is part of the 80+ mile section of river that is included in the Federal Scenic Rivers Program.

I know nothing about the camping opportunities or local eateries. The river basically parallels US 62 over the entire stretch that includes the islands and the river is visible from the highway for the most part. As I recall, the longest section where it travels away from the road is between West Hickory and Tionesta. So, that might qualify as the "most scenic", I guess. On the second thought, the section immediately below Tidioute also is also some distance from the road I think..

In terms of fishing, walleye and trout opportunities are probably a little better in the upper half of the stretch (say from Buckaloons to Tidioute) and bass fishing a little better in the lower half (Tidioute to Tionesta). Through the 70's and 80's, the difference in fishery type and quality between the upper and lower halves of this section was a lot more noticeable, but has equalized somewhat since then.

If the spring has been cool and if you go early enough (say before mid-June) there can be good evening dry fly fishing over some serious trout is the outflow of virtually every cold water trib of decent size all through this stretch of the river. Late May through early June usually sees good hatches of Isonychias, Gray Foxes and especially Brown Drakes (for the 4-5 days they last). But if May has been warmer than normal or you go later in the Summer, forget about the trout for the most part. That's OK, the bass fishing is or can be pretty good and can keep you fully occupied.

Have fun, its a nice piece of water...

RLeeP wrote:

Dang, I've really got to get over to fish that river sometime. That section just sounds like the perfect big river: trout, walleyes, bass, muskies.

Maybe this summer I'll finally get over to that section of the Allegheny.

Fishidiot wrote:
RLeeP wrote:

Dang, I've really got to get over to fish that river sometime. That section just sounds like the perfect big river: trout, walleyes, bass, muskies.

Maybe this summer I'll finally get over to that section of the Allegheny.

Count me in! Could be a good Weekend WWI trip.

The Allegheny further downstream is also worth checking out, and offers camping on islands. We float the stretch from Franklin to Kennerdell often, and it makes a nice 2 day float with an overnight camp on one of several islands. You won't find as many trout opportunities as the upper river, but the bass, walleye, and muskie fishing is excellent.

Never fished it. I'd love to give it a try. I'm in with all you insurgents.

There is a lot of information here.

That does sound like a really nice float. I'd love to try it too.

I have floated from Buckaloons, back down to Indian waters. (we rented canoes there) I can say that when the fish are on, that smallie fishing is really something. Sadly, as we were taking out, whiteflies were starting to emerge, and I was without fly gear. Also excellent hex emergence, but again I was bottom fishing for catfish that night. Its definitely worth a look.

Perhaps someone could start a thread in the Events forum for a 2014 Warm Water Insurgents Jam on the Allegheny this summer (no hurry).

It's usually best, when starting a jam thread, to select the date up front rather than trying to negotiate this. I'd love to fish the Big A but am looking at a complicated calendar this summer and can't commit.......so I'd rather not be the person to organize this jam (not to mention the fact that I'm not familiar with that river).

WW jams are typically in the summer but April can be a great bass month and may even allow for some trout fishing. After all, trout may indeed be for suckers.......but we wouldn't mind too much to get a 20" brown on a streamer fly if the bass aren't biting. :cool:

I canoe this every summer from about ten miles upstream of tidioute down to tionesta. Very nice stretch of river with some absolutely fantastic small mouth fishing. Crayfish patterns or crayfish plastics are the way to go up there. Caught some real nice fish last summer on them and they never seem to fail. As far as camping it does see a fair amount of people so claim a spot early in the day. Some great islands around hickory but those are fairly popular too. Late in the season firewood is scarce and while there are always great camp sites they can be pretty picked over. That's usually my first thing to look for when we start picking a site. Can't beat it though for some good fishing and beautiful scenery and wildlife I make it a point to get up there every Summer

thanks again for all the info guys.

I only fish the river but once in a while, and generally on the bottom end of your stretch.

Eatery: Tippy Canoe in Tidioute. Good food, bar/restaurant place right by the water. It is on the east shore downstream from the bridge in Tidioute. Just down from some islands.

While I've caught smallmouth and other stuff, most of the boat guys around Tionesta are after walleye. And I can say, right in Tionesta, where the Tionesta Creek and river waters meet, is a known musky spot. My brother goes after it from shore and multiples in one day is not unusual (which is saying something for the fish of a thousand casts). I've talked with guys in boats who have, on rare occasions, got into double digits.

Just a little up the Tionesta is a slow, weedy, shallow stretch that has some northerns, too.

The main Allegheny has massive hatches through there, but the blockbuster is the hex's in the summertime.

Ive done Warren to Tidioute and stayed on the islands a few years now in late spring before Memorial Day. I would highly recommend the laminated guidebook from Allegheny Outfitters in Warren. Its got more detail than the state website on where to camp on what island and how to navigate certain stretches.

I lived on the river in Warren for 5 years. It had a really good brown drake hatch the last week of May. But as far as the trout except for at what they call the 'tailwaters'... I know people get them, but I spend a LOT of time standing along the banks from Warren up towards the dam and... just waited and waited, watching one big brown drake after another drift through ideal water without ever seeing a take. EVER. And the kids who fished up there, one who knew what he was doing, caught about one big brown every year floating the tailwaters fishing a rapala. But that was about it. If it was all "YEE-HAW" I flat missed it. Didn't see it. Maybe at some mouths of creeks. I just didn't see it, as much as I wanted to.
Most everything that has been said is right-on. The one thing that bugs me on that section compared to closer to Oil city, below President, is the traffic and camps. There are camps and houses along most of the river and 62 runs right along it for the most part. The long, curvy section from President to Emlenton is much more isolated and remote, and is noted by the PA F&BC as having a lot of big smallmouths.
I don't know where you're coming from, but the services here are not what you might be used to. From Buckaloons where the Brokenstraw comes in on down, there really isn't anything. Like the fellow said, the Tippy Canoe is a restaurant right off 62 south of the Tidioute bridge. There is a cafe on Tidioute main street and a smallish grocery market. Plus there's a bar and a gas station/deli and an icecream shop/self serve restaurant (you'll see) that USED to sell Pistrami sandwiches from a local guy who made his own pastrami from his own butchered beef. Yeah, where do you get that? Hickory has nothing I know of. Tionesta has an Italian joint called City Pizza that is WAY too good for such a little town. Used to have an excellent Orvis/pendelton/filson/north face up-scale real outfitter shop. Now a sad, empty shell. It was famous. I haven't had the success on Smallies as some people have mentioned in the upper water, but then I didn't fish it all that much. I fish President on down a lot in the summer. It's good and you tend not to catch dinks. 16" 2. 3 lb bass are nice fish and are frequently caught. Stick to the banks for active fish.
That's a little of my input. The water and the river itself, is amazingly beautiful. The water can be glass-clear. The aquatic vegetation is gorgeous: like floating over a garden. It is a beautiful place. I've been on plenty of rivers, but I can't exactly put my finger on it. Come here and see and maybe you can.

To my extreme dismay, City Pizza has been closed since summer, at least.

I'm not sure if it'll reopen or not. I think the nice lady who ran it had some health issues.

It was really good.

I can't believe you guys are spot burning the Allegheny like that!

I'm joking off course. Great info. And Sylvanious, you had me going for a second with the Pastrami until I noticed you said "used to." But is the place still there? Sounds like my kind of place.

I'm not going to be floating the river, but may be spending a weekend near there this summer and it is a nice day trip as well.

In a car, your restaurant options open up a little more. Not much. :) But a little.

I'm not that familiar with the area upstream of Buckaloons. I've been there, but don't know it well. But from there down the Tippy Canoe is probably the best (and one of the only) places to eat accessible from the river itself without the aid of a vehicle.

Back