A question about the Penns

L

LippPearson

Nice site. I'm from Elk Co. Planning a trip to Penns Creek later this month.I just visited the Pa trout streams link on this site. Near Millheim, the Penns shows a catch and release section, and an all tackle trophy section. Is there a fly fishing only section? My brother is under the impression there was. Thanks

No Fly Fishing Only section. Back in the day, way back when, I believe the C&R ALO section was FFF only.

Lipp welcome aboard. GG

I thiink they will sweep the Islanders 4 in a row.........oh......sorry.

pcray1231 wrote:
No FF only section on Penns.

Yet, I see 80% fly anglers when I fish it.

For locals, the area has a much higher % of fly fisherman than most. On account of having so many good streams, there are many avid fishermen. And avid fishermen are more likely to cross over to fly gear than those that fish a few weekends a year.

For out of towners, it's a world famous fly fishing destination, and avid fly fishermen are willing to travel to fish such places.

So it's not a suprise that fly fishermen are over represented even though regulations don't demand it.

And to be honest, in the TT section, I see about half and half in the early season. More fly guys as you approach late May (many of them may be the same fishermen, switching tactics as the season wears on).

The ALO section is mostly fly guys. But that's to be expected, bait is much more popular than hardware, and there is plenty of good, bait friendly water around that they don't have to resort to hardware to fish good water.

Thanks for the correction.

JackM wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:
No FF only section on Penns.

Yet, I see 80% fly anglers when I fish it.

I have honestly known cases where people admitted they felt too guilty about spin fishing any longer. First, they give up the bait, then they use spinners.....then a trout gets hooked in the gills- they crimp the barbs...... they use single-barbless hooks.... they get a deep hook..and then it is all flies. The guilt is too much, lol. Penns is nice, people want to conserve it once they realize catch, release and re-catch is real.

The six barbed- hook, count down rapala guys never feel the shame, haha.

welcome, where iin elk co ?, my camp is in elk, pigs ear rd ,four corners

Back