1st day

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

How many people in Pa will be travelling somewhere for the first day, away from near home, then be at their opening day?

My family still does the opening day thing. It's just such a far drive from SE PA to NW PA, and I'm crossing better water in between just to be a part of the tradition. Plus, it opens on a Saturday, which means my drive will be after work on Friday evening, just to return on Sunday. We're talking 12 hours in a car for 6-8 hours of "meh" fishing.

I still might do it. I put "thinking about it".

I travel to Bedford county every year to fish Bobs Creek with family. Its not always about the fishing, and its definately worth it for me.

I'll be taking my 6 year old niece and 8 year old nephew out in my boat on both opening days. First on Opposum Lake in Cumberland county followed by Cowans Gap SP in Fulton County. Not exactly sure how much fishing I will fishing I will do, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

I'll be right here in the shop sellin all you guys worms (*^&^RJ er I mean flies !

I live in SE PA and fish 99% wild trout streams so for me there is no real opening day. I don't fish the SE opening day, I live there and have fished most of the streams I want to fish in the SE. I will go to Camp for opening day, because as much as anything I don't get to see the members to often.
I voted absolutely not, but the reall answer is none of the above.

I'll be on the local ATW creek 'educating' the stockies so they wise up quicker and last longer.

I'm prepared for the looks of horror ill get. I'm still debating whether to put my limit in a bucket and walk em down afterwards to the DHALO which I don't think is against the rules, or I might just re distribute them a little :0)

I'll be fishing or more likely observing my sons and grandson on our local stream. If I do break out my flyrod I'll be releasing what I catch. My sons and grandson usually keep a few but also release many. I've noticed more bait and spin fishermen who do release fish unless they are hooked too deep. I know some people are critical of bait or spin fishing and the whole first day circus... I think it is fine. It isn't exactly my thing anymore but there are worse ways to spend ones time. It is part of a tradition in my family that I hope stays around. We fish a Lancaster County farm creek. It gets warm in the summer and the trout die or move.

I am fortunate to be able to fish year round and on opening day/week avoid people as much as is possible.

If I wanted to purchase a new rod...I would go to the yellow breeches and sell hot dogs, hot chocolate, hot coffee, hot spots...But the carnage is just too great for me to deal with!

Worst day of the year to fish for me.

Even though I fish for trout all year I'll most likely fish on opening day on the same small ATW as I do every year. It's tradition, ever since I was little. Later in the afternoon I'll probably hit a smaller non-ATW to get away from the craziness...

I'll be on the local ATW creek 'educating' the stockies so they wise up quicker and last longer.

That's my plan as well ;-) Funny, late last spring I fished the same small ATW I fish on opening day and once I got there a few fishermen went on to tell me "there's very little trout left, they didn't stock enough, they're not hitting anything(powerbait, corn, etc..), yada yada yada" I then proceeded to have a banner day racking up the numbers with EHC and really tiny nymphs. I love when the fish get educated and eat what they're supposed to :)

if I do fish opening day, I fish a little known wild trout stream and will have it to myself, just the way I like it.

This year I'll be volunteering at a pond for a kid's fishing event. I can't stand the crowds, though. Maybe this will be different.

A couple of friends and I will be going to a lonely place on the Lehigh.
We have been doing it for the past few years. Rarely see another angler. Sometimes catch some awesome fish. But it will be a day trip.
Doing it just because we can and we always have alot of fun.

GC

I'll be on my boat on Lake Arthur for bass and muskie

I have to work but I do not mind missing the chaos !!!! :)

People traveled some pretty good distances for Mentored Youth day last year. The first person I spoke with at Antietam Lake, Berks Co, was from Chambersburg, Franklin Co! This year's Mentored Youth opener could involve ice fishing if this weather keeps up. In the northern half of SE Pa all of the lakes have about 18 inches of ice cover at the moment.

I have a feeling there might be some ice fishing this year for the mentored day. I was on our lake here in Butler County yesterday and there was anywhere from 16 to 18" of ice on it.

I have a half day of guided fishing booked for SUNDAY so I'll be home with the wife and kids on Saturday. I'm looking forward to getting some education on how to fish the Big Springs. A warm day would be much appreciated...

The mentored Youth Fishing Day has been moved to May 10th. I'll wait to take my kids out. My dad used to take me to Keystone Lake in Westmoreland County when I was a kid - I don't miss the crowds.

Our group meets at Laura's at 8:00 am.in Mt. Holly for a 2 hour breakfast then Hit the Breeches for some Hendricksons and Grannoms. Hope it gets warmer. Nothing going on as of today.

Back