Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Valley Creek Restoration

Another impressive project for VF TU, and all its partners. Kudos to them!!!

Crabby Creek

Posted on: 2009/2/6 10:07

Re: Valley Creek Restoration
From Chester County
Great job indeed! It’s unbelievable what the Valley Forge TU has accomplished to make Valley Creek what it is today, and what it promises to be in the future.

Not to pick on you Jack, well I guess I will anyway. I recall you saying on numerous occasions, that for most TU members, their motives for stream conservation is primarily to improve their own fishin’ hole. That may be a side benefit for some, but there are close to 800 members of VFTU, and many of these folks have never held a fishing rod in their hand. Also enlisted by TU, are local, state, and federal governmental agencies, along with several non-fishing organizations, universities and colleges, helping with these conservation efforts. For all the right reasons I might add, to conserve and enhance our streams for future generations. And well, maybe for some of us….to catch a few fish too.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 11:15

That's great! I love Valley Creek...one of my most favorite streams to fish now! Especially in the summer. Every time I went in the summer the temp. stayed between 65-66 which great around these parts. I especially love the BLACK SNAKES that you run into there!!

I wouldn't mind having the opportunity of catching brookies in Crabby.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 11:28

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Great job indeed! It’s unbelievable what the Valley Forge TU has accomplished to make Valley Creek what it is today, and what it promises to be in the future.

Not to pick on you Jack, well I guess I will anyway. I recall you saying on numerous occasions, that for most TU members, their motives for stream conservation is primarily to improve their own fishin’ hole. That may be a side benefit for some, but there are close to 800 members of VFTU, and many of these folks have never held a fishing rod in their hand. Also enlisted by TU, are local, state, and federal governmental agencies, along with several non-fishing organizations, universities and colleges, helping with these conservation efforts. For all the right reasons I might add, to conserve and enhance our streams for future generations. And well, maybe for some of us….to catch a few fish too.

Great project.

If it had been done only by fishermen, it would have been just as great a project.

A project like that does require the presence of non-fishermen to "vindicate" it.

Jack was working from an assumption that for fishermen to restore or conserve streams to improve fishing is somehow a negative or bad thing.

But neither he nor anyone else ever offered anything to support that assumption. I think that assumption is baseless. Wholly without merit!

Here's something to think about. For those of us who fish, are we proud of being fishermen? Ashamed of it? Do we think of it as an ancient, time-honored, venerable activity? Or do we think of it as something slightly shady, that we have to explain and justify.

And while you are pondering that, be sure you've got your fishing license. It's going to warm up this weekend, and it will be a good time to fish!

Posted on: 2009/2/6 15:33

From Monessen, PA
I doubt I ever said that "most" members of TU are in it primarily to improve their own fishin’ hole, though I do believe that many people who present themselves as caring about the streams or the trouts really only care about it to the extent it improves their fishing. In addition, I do not contend that it is a "bad thing" to improve a stream for your own selfish interests. What is "bad" if you want to call it that, is that some folks that fit this model won't admit it and intentionally disguise and deny it.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 15:56

From Chester County
Jack, I’m really only funning you. Troutbert, I do think there are those out here that believe there is an ulterior motive for many conservation efforts by sportsmen, whether it be fishing or hunting. There may be some out there that participate only to enhance their sport, which is fine, but I believe that most sportsmen would pitch in whether or not it the conservation project enhances their sport or not. That was my real point; many people care about conservation, including sportsmen, and practice it to conserve and enhance natural areas for future generations and not necessarily just to enhance their catch.

I’m certainly not ashamed to be a fisherman, and yes I do support conservation projects to help the fish I pursue. I also support conservation efforts and charities that have nothing to do with my sport. I support them all because I believe it’s the right thing to do and I expect nothing in return, except the satisfaction of knowing the world may be a little better place with my help.

The intent of my original post was not to divert attention from the great job done on this project.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 16:07

From Monessen, PA
Sorry to have helped distract attention, but you can't expect to inaccurately proffer my position for me and not have me seek to correct it, particularly because it seems to get under people's skin even when stated accurately. Congratulations to all that helped with the effort. May your fishing be enhanced or not as you see fit.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 16:20

From Chester County
You're a piece of work Jack. I guess I'm one of the people you speak of.....

Posted on: 2009/2/6 16:24

From Monessen, PA
Not from what you described. You sound more like someone who enjoys donating time and money to conservation causes and also such of them that benefit your own fishing-- and, to your further credit, you are willing to admit it.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 16:29

The only reason to "admit it" would be if there was something negative about improving and sustaining fishing.

And that only makes sense if you think of fishing as a negative thing.

If you think of fishing as a good thing, then conservation and restoration to improve fishing is also a good thing.

You humans are so illogical.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 16:41

From Bozeman
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
The only reason to "admit it" would be if there was something negative about improving and sustaining fishing.

If you think of fishing as a good thing, then conservation and restoration to improve fishing is also a good thing.

I think you're stretching Jack's point.

IMO, he's saying that people refuse to admit their less-than-altruistic reasons, not that they are trying to make good on some cosmic sin they've committed.

I admit that I do any environmental work primarily to improve my experience outdoors. Secondarily, to improve that of my friends, and future children. All other positives come in bunched up at third place.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 16:57

Quote:

jayL wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

I think you're stretching Jack's point.

IMO, he's saying that people refuse to admit their less-than-altruistic reasons, not that they are trying to make good on some cosmic sin they've committed.

I admit that I do any environmental work primarily to improve my experience outdoors. Secondarily, to improve that of my friends, and future children. All other positives come in bunched up at third place.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

"refuse to admit their less-than-altruistic reasons" !!!!???

Posted on: 2009/2/6 17:16

Two things.

1. Who cares what anybody's motivation to get involved and helps streams- or in my case, just to help improve the fishing??

2. Tom Brokaw does'nt fish valley.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 17:26

From lancaster county
lmfao!

I dont know about the whole tom brokaw thing but i really dont care what a persons reason is to help the enviroment. Even if its in your own selfish interest...it still benefits everyone.

Good Job VFTU!

Posted on: 2009/2/6 17:37

Wow!

Next time I will make sure to post a stream improvement article from western pa.

Silly, selfish me.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 20:43

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
46 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com