Medicine disposal

S

springer1

I was listening to the news and New Jersey now has statewide disposal sites for people to dispose old medicine & drugs. They are placing marked old mail boxes around the state, can be used 24x7.

News said a company is disposing of the material at no cost to the state.

Since some of the contamination in some fish studies has been found to be medicine & other drugs, wouldn't it be a good idea to do this in PA as well? Much better than flushng down the drain & into the waterways.

Springer,
I'm sure it's a good idea.
However, I think much of these new pollutants that have been discovered in large waterways (birth control, Prozac etc) are products of urine and can only be controlled at the sewage treatment phase.

Wonder how many addicts are just hanging around these mailboxes.

However, I think much of these new pollutants that have been discovered in large waterways (birth control, Prozac etc) are products of urine and can only be controlled at the sewage treatment phase.
No problem. I guess collections like this really wouldn't help with waterway pollutants & conservation.

Sounds like industry research is needed before implementing approaches at water treatment plants that are first proven to be more effective.

I'm surprised no one suspects the discharge pipe at the Pharma Companies.

springer1 wrote:

Since some of the contamination in some fish studies has been found to be medicine & other drugs, wouldn't it be a good idea to do this in PA as well? Much better than flushng down the drain & into the waterways.

they already do. There was a day just last month where you could bring in old unused prescription meds for disposal. The specifically said they didn;t want people flushing them. More because it goes into OUR water supply, not the fishes. The outcome is the same so..

find out where below...

drop off site search

The poop will hit the fan when sewerage plants have to start removing things like estrogen and other drugs from water they treat.

tomgamber wrote:

they already do. There was a day just last month where you could bring in old unused prescription meds for disposal. The specifically said they didn;t want people flushing them. More because it goes into OUR water supply, not the fishes. The outcome is the same so..

find out where below...

Here is the link Tom was trying to post (his was cached with location). As you will note from the url, the biggest concern for the government is diversion of prescription medications i.e. kids stealing them out of cabinets, people selling prescription drugs, etc. Diverted and abused prescription pain medication kills more people than heroin and cocaine combined.

Disposal site link . . .

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/NTBI/ntbi-pub.pub?_flowExecutionKey=_c16B61836-99F2-C1EB-B691-392248088F1E_kC0BAE1CB-2F13-1683-966D-DB3422F0472A

Whats better about the method in NJ is that there's no special date/time, no special place, no special trip required, and no special notification needed to get people prepared to participate, no special website to get the needed information from, no special anything.

They put these drop-off boxes near pharmacies so people can see them and become aware of them. People can just take their stuff over the next time they shop there. If they forget- they see the box again, and sooner or later remember take their stuff at some later time they go shopping after that.

It's way more convenient & easy, and people actually know about it.

Back