Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Lehigh River Dam Study

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
65 would still put up a good fight, they need to be older.

After AS and SS, wewill start the tuna stocking.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 18:13

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Bozeman
http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/skamie.html

Skilmanian is a regular PAFF poster that seems to build a lot of rods.

Anyway, my opinion is that steelhead = terrible idea and atlantics = intriguing but skeptical.

Good work on the dam removal stuff.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 20:09

Quote:

jayL wrote:
http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/skamie.html

Skilmanian is a regular PAFF poster that seems to build a lot of rods.

Anyway, my opinion is that steelhead = terrible idea and atlantics = intriguing but skeptical.

Good work on the dam removal stuff.

Hey, we aren't just a bunch of hilljack truck chasing metal stringer fools. Well at least most of us are not.

I understand why you think Steel are a bad idea, at least I think I do...Is it because of the Upper Delaware? I understand all the skepticism, as I am one of them as well. When I was talking to a certain gentleman and he explained to me that the Dr. in NY was already licking his lips at what could be done to the Lehigh if the dams would disappear I started to become a little bit of a believer. The thought of Shad, Steel, Atlantic's and the normal trout population all adds up to an unbelievable fisherie. The Dr. also mentioned that he would be able to breed the fish to return in different times of the year, so it would be a year long fisheries. I dunno, like I said I am just a messenger and will be talking to the Dr. himself on a scheduled early spring steel trip in NY.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 20:37

From Bozeman
I suggest stocking flounder and opening gigging season. After seeing the swamp hunter guys on TV, I think a gator program would be a welcomed addition as well.

But yeah, the idea of steelhead going into the upper delaware system is a big concern for me, among other existing wild populations of trout.

But what do I know?

Posted on: 2011/2/7 20:41

The thing that kinda gets me is this, I was always under the assumption the TU was against stocking over wild and natives, correct? Why did the TU up near the Ausable request a large stocking of trout on the Ausable, so there would be more fish for a 2 fly contest? Also, been told they frequently request stockings on the LL. Am I just wrong?

Question.... Are the Steel programmed like the Salmon to return to their birth waters? If yes, then if the birthing was done on the Lehigh, would this not mean they would only return to the Lehigh?

Posted on: 2011/2/7 21:05

From Bozeman
They'd spread all over, just like the ontario fish do. It's an evolutionary hack. If they all spawned at the same spot, the entire population could be wiped out by a single event.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 21:17

OK, Thanks Jay

Still hoping one of the TU guys can explain to me the reasoning for requesting stockings in certain situations, but poo pooing it when it does not seem to suit them? Furthermore, I hope you do not think I am bashing TU, just trying to gain an understanding.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 21:21

Steelhead: A fish that tends to stray, thus just one of the concerns about the upper Delaware even if the original fish were stocked in the Lehigh.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 21:33

Ehhh F the Upper D LOL j/k

Posted on: 2011/2/7 21:44

From Eastern PA
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
The thing that kinda gets me is this, I was always under the assumption the TU was against stocking over wild and natives, correct? Why did the TU up near the Ausable request a large stocking of trout on the Ausable, so there would be more fish for a 2 fly contest? Also, been told they frequently request stockings on the LL. Am I just wrong?

Question.... Are the Steel programmed like the Salmon to return to their birth waters? If yes, then if the birthing was done on the Lehigh, would this not mean they would only return to the Lehigh?

Birthing? Sorry, had to get ya on that one!

Each TU chapter has to make their own decisions on stocking. Some TU's have their own hatcheries and are very dedicated to the practice of stocking. One would like to think that this would occur in waters which did not have a strong wild, self sustaining population.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 23:58

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
Also, I know the laughs will come or I will be getting yelled at by you guys, BUT....once the dams disappear Atlantic Salmon and (steelhead)

Oh for eff's sake, jam the steelhead up the doctor's netherbits. They belong on the damned west coast, where they started.

Do Altlantic salmon belong there, or is that just someone's* wetdream so they don't have to get in their damned car and drive the threeish hours to the Salmon River?

I wish people would be more concerned with trying to reverse collapsing ecosystems due to mankind's accelerated use of Earth rather than try to prop it up with their pet projects.

(* originally "stringer junkie," but in the interests of civility, it has been moved here, however, its way too fantastic a phrase to let go into that good night)

Posted on: 2011/2/8 0:22

From SE PA
I'd be very surprised if the dam at Allentown gets removed. There are a number of homes on Adams Island that have docks and their value is increased a great deal by river access to that section of the river for water skiing etc. If the dam is removed I don't think the levels would support a pool anywhere near large enough for unlimited recreational boating. On Google Maps there appears to be a marina in that section as well.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 7:13

Quote:

franklin wrote:
I'd be very surprised if the dam at Allentown gets removed. There are a number of homes on Adams Island that have docks and their value is increased a great deal by river access to that section of the river for water skiing etc. If the dam is removed I don't think the levels would support a pool anywhere near large enough for unlimited recreational boating. On Google Maps there appears to be a marina in that section as well.

You are correct, as I stated earlier, Allentown is not so much on board as everybody else. However, The mayor did sign off on the research, so thats promising.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 8:59

Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
Also, I know the laughs will come or I will be getting yelled at by you guys, BUT....once the dams disappear Atlantic Salmon and (steelhead)

Oh for eff's sake, jam the steelhead up the doctor's netherbits. They belong on the damned west coast, where they started.

Do Altlantic salmon belong there, or is that just someone's* wetdream so they don't have to get in their damned car and drive the threeish hours to the Salmon River?

I wish people would be more concerned with trying to reverse collapsing ecosystems due to mankind's accelerated use of Earth rather than try to prop it up with their pet projects.

(* originally "stringer junkie," but in the interests of civility, it has been moved here, however, its way too fantastic a phrase to let go into that good night)

Yea, I mean I know I would not want any of these fish in the Lehigh and Delaware system, because they would not bring billions of dollars into the economies of the towns up and down the rivers.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:07

From Bozeman
Billions? Seriously?

Sorry becker, but the bucket biology is getting ridiculous IMO. I'm with rhinestone jerry on this one.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 9:11

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com