good place to find trees?

ryanh

ryanh

I need to start planting some trees this spring and was looking for suggestions on finding cheap trees. I am looking for white and red pines. Also Eastern Hemlock.
Thanks for any info.

Go here and type in your zip code and read on...not much cheaper than that...

I found another site, Ryan, but I didn't think you use it..Ok, It's www.treehugger.com Yes, really...but I know you'd never go there...

I know that you can purchase seedlings from one of the state agencies every spring. I think it is DCNR and I recall it was very inexpensive.

The County Conservation District for your county will probably be selling seedlings this Spring. I know they do in both Dauphin and Lebanon Counties.

A Willie Nelson show? I've heard they are really good too.

Tom
Thanks for the links. BOTH sites are very cool. And BTW I live as green as I can and encourage others to do so as well. I think you know that, but I admit that I open my self up for a good lambasting with my out of the closet views on other issues.

tom,

Thanks, I enjoyed those links also.

ryanh,

You're not alone. The guy that picksup my recycling bin every two weeks probally hates me, but my garbage man only gets two bags a week on a busy week from me. We usually only have one bag, but some of my daughters diapers would gag a maggot!

I also try to plant as many trees as I can every year. My grandfather has a few walnut trees growing in his gardens every year that I transplant before he throws them out. Same goes for the Silver Maple in my yard, at least three or four start growing in my porch gutter every spring that get move to the woods.

JH

Yeah, I'm the only guy on my street with two large recycle cans as well. And I have to even kind of pick thru it because my wife thinks everything is recyclable.

I know the feeling, my wife will throw away her diet Coke bottles with the rings still on them. But she is coming around to the whole save what you can, when you can motto.
She is happy that I changed our lights to those "ugly swirly things" when she seen the savings and that we have only changed two light bulbs in four years. She also sees why I installed one of those shower heads with a shut-off, so you shut the shower off when lathering up with soap, when she opened our water/sewage bill. I keep telling her that if we keep doing the little things to save, we will end up seeing big savings in the long run.

JH

flyfishermanj wrote:
I know the feeling, my wife will throw away her diet Coke bottles with the rings still on them. But she is coming around to the whole save what you can, when you can motto.
She is happy that I changed our lights to those "ugly swirly things" when she seen the savings and that we have only changed two light bulbs in four years. She also sees why I installed one of those shower heads with a shut-off, so you shut the shower off when lathering up with soap, when she opened our water/sewage bill. I keep telling her that if we keep doing the little things to save, we will end up seeing big savings in the long run.

JH

FFJ,

Be careful with the transplanting of walnut trees into other landscapes. there is a phenomenon called Allelopathy that creates diminsihed results in plant germination of most other species. There are some tolerant riparian plants and grasses but not many. Thats why when you see a walnut grove you see little else growing around it. The problem comes from the leaf litter so it can be quite a large footprint. You wouldn't want to damage an existing landscape with your good intentions I am sure.

I have a paper on the Allelopathy if you are interested but it is in MSWord otherwise I'd post it. You could google it for more information.

Here is an exerpt from the paper;

Black walnut and allelopathy
Though grown primarily for its wood and nuts, black walnuts are often found growing on landscape sites where they serve primarily as shade trees. When certain other landscape plants are planted near or under this shade tree they tend to yellow, wilt, and die. This decline occurs because the walnut tree produces a non-toxic, colorless, chemical called hydrojuglone. Hydrojuglone is found in leaves, stems, fruit hulls, inner bark and roots. When exposed to air or soil compounds, hydrojuglone is oxidized into the allelochemical juglone, which is highly toxic.
Several related trees such as English walnut, hickories and pecan also produce juglone, but in smaller amounts compared to black walnut. Juglone is one of many plant-produced chemicals that can harm other plants in a process known as allelopathy. (Additional common landscape trees with allelopathic properties: sugar maple, tree-of-heaven, hackberries, southern waxmyrtle, American sycamore, cottonwood, black cherry, red oak, black locust, sassafrass, and American elm.)

HTH,

Maurice

Dear Ryan,

I wouldn't recommend planting any hemlocks unless you want to spray them every year until they get the wooly agelid under control. Those little tree mites are killing all of mine deader than a stone.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :-(

Tim,
Thanks on that tip. That really ticks me off when that happens.
I just wanted to plant native trees. I personally think that spruces look out of place here.

Mo, and FFJ,

"Juglone is an aromatic organic compound with the molecular formula C10H6O3.

Juglone is found naturally in the leaves, roots and bark of plants in the Juglandaceae family, particularly the black walnut. Juglone is an allelopathic compound, meaning it is synthesized by one type of plant and affects the growth of another. In the case of juglone, it is toxic or growth-stunting to many types of plants. Landscapers have long known that gardening underneath or near black walnut trees can be difficult. Juglone exerts its affect by inhibiting certain enzymes needed for metabolic function. It is occasionally used as an herbicide."

We did a project at work about this.

Maurice,

Thanks for the info, but I studied a little forestry in between beers when I was in college, and I knew to keep walnut trees clumped together. Though I didn't recall the term, I knew a little about the subject.

JH

Back