Fish Kill at Green Springs Hatchery in Newville

Letort

Letort

I just saw this. A huge fish kill at a private hatchery in Newville, PA.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/03/cause_of_massive_newville-area.html#incart_m-rpt-1

CVTU is monitoring this closely. I'll keep you informed of what we see or hear.

The article pretty much says they suspect groundwater contamination by manure runoff from nearby farms, where manure was recently spread. Apparently the authorities are being very scientific and cannot PROVE that so they stop short of saying they KNOW it. But they know the reason well enough.

I walked most of the reg water section of Green Spring this evening and it looks fine - no dead fish that were visible to my eye. If you're not familiar with Green Spring, the reg section is downstream from the hatchery about a mile. Also, CH 27 news was at the hatchery and filming an interview - might want to check the news tonight.

I also checked Big Spring as well - running clear and looks perfect - no problems at BS.

It is indeed that time of year. That whole area of the valley definitely has had a lot of manure spread - with the nice weather, I had my car windows down and that reality is immediately noticeable. Hopefully, this is an isolated incident and the good folks at the hatchery can bounce back. Anyway, if I hear more, I'll keep you informed.
DW

I fished the FFO section of Green Spring on Sunday, March 9th and the water was high and cloudy with melt run off. There was the scent of manure to some of the water, but it wasn't bad--I've seen worse. I managed to catch a fallfish, one stocker rainbow and about a dozen shiners.

Jeff

I fished Green Spring for the first time Friday and couldn't sniff a trout. I didn't see any evidence of fish kill but didn't see a trout either.

Back