Did I do the right or wrong thing Re: conservation

D

DavidFin

Today I found my local trickle, which is a recognized wild trout stretch (browns, not natives), cropped and deforested in a few holes and runs that I feel are integral spots of refuge in the fishery. The destruction ranged from downed trees over the stream completely removed to live trees, with root systems in the water, cut down with the stump remaining.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy. This was carried out by a team of land developers with serious equipment.

In response I contacted the DEP, TU, and the fish and game association, realizing the entire time that I may not have the right to the claim. That said, I'm kind of worried that I may have over reacted, but I'm telling you that at least two of the affected sites are no longer suitable hiding places, with one of them being completely and utterly destroyed.

probably not an over reaction, but you might find that the developer was within their approved plan to do what they did. It happens all the time because concerned citizens don't have the time or resources to attend all planning and council meetings when these things get approved. Also, developers often do more damage than they are supposed to, 'cause they figure no one will notice and it's easier to ask forgiveness anyway. At the least maybe you have helped stop any further damage. good luck.

no you did not over react. Let DEP, PFBC determine if action needs to be taken. That's their job. You did yours as a concerned citizen.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
no you did not over react. Let DEP, PFBC determine if action needs to be taken. That's their job. You did yours as a concerned citizen.

Exactly. You did your part.

Not an over-reaction at all.

I'm happy you did what you did. With all of the fracking that is taking place, and will take place down the road, we need people like you paying attention to what's going on with our streams.

Sounds to me like you acted like the concerned citizen that we should all be.

MD_Gene wrote:
Sounds to me like you acted like the concerned citizen that we should all be.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, I just know there's always another side of the coin and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone, even if their interests don't appeal to me.

I'll be sure to let you know what happens.

Definitely not over reacting. You did the right thing reporting it.

DavidFin - You did the right thing. If you did not take pictures, take them the next time. Pictures can be your best friend.

Land "developers" have been responsible for more land and water destruction than any other source over the ages. KUDOS to you, David Fin, for fighting the good fight. Never give up.

The issue may be whether or not they had the proper permitting / green lighting to work in such close proximity to your waterway. Whether or not the equipment entered the stream channel or not may also come into play.

You have a Soil Conservation District where you live. Look this office up also and call there. Try to make an appointment to meet with the person who works your district and if nothing else begin a relationship.

What you need in Pennsylvania is a 'Green Belt' law to be introduced in the state house. This would limit development right to the waters edge.

I was active with conservation efforts when I lived in Lycoming County. I am here in Alaska, each year I build my network with the Federal & State agency's and become more involved here in the Mat Su Valley with our conservation efforts.

If you want to make a difference it will take time & effort. You will need friends, so if you have never read Dale Carnegie's book How to Win Friends and Influence People, I would highly recommend it. I am very serious about that. I worked for the National clean Air collation and The National Audubon Society for 4 years as a legislative liaison and if I learned anything at all it is this; If those people holding the power to help you & your cause don't like you,.... you are wasting your time and breath.

I feel your concern for this little gem that you've come to enjoy and I can imagine your sadness at what you see happening. I am just saying that if you want to help to change the way things are going there, you must use your head.

Ard

DavidFin,
I agree - did the right thing.

Oftentimes in similar situations, folks are reluctant to report what they saw.....and instead come to this message board and post a thread complaining about what they saw - perhaps because it's easier than calling DEP or some other appropriate agency and perhaps due to some reluctance to get involved with what could turn out to be a thorny issue. There's really nothing wrong with this, but invariably our regular readers wind up all telling the original poster to call the appropriate agency.

Although this is a somewhat different issue, it is related to discussion of these sorts of issues on an internet message board. In at least one occasion some years ago, a PAFFer posted a thread here about some supposed stream damage and other forum members took it upon themselves to contact some highly positioned leaders in a state agency.....and it turned out the original report was a false alarm. Intentions were good, but some PAFFers wound up a bit embarrassed.

Usually it is better if the original person witnessing the problem takes action to report. Expecting readers on a message board - who were not there and did not witness the infraction - to take action is not always the best course.

Fishidiot-

You hit the nail on the head regarding my apprehension: I just don't want to get people involved for a false alarm. I spoke with a TU member who I revere and he thinks the town municipalities did it, which may or may not have given them the authority to do so. Even if this is the case, I still suspect they did too much.

This is an experience to say the least. It makes me wish I took more pictures of the stream as it was. I'm going to try to upload the only picture I took of the damage.

By the way, thank you everyone.

if the town did it, TU can take them to task. you did a fine thing imho - after Sandy many towns issue emergency permits in the catskills, berkshires and green mountains to use heavy machinery instream to channelize wild trout streams to allievate the flooding.

the Town is not always right...

You did the right thing. Many developers do not bother to check with DEP or PAFB and just assume they can do what they want on their land.
In my area, we had a farmer cut down the trees along a stream and filled in some of the stream to give him more farming land. When we saw this, we notified our local WCO who had the power to make the land owner return the stream to its natural condition.

Thank you for doing the right thing.

Bill

UPDATE: It may have been the county mosquito control, who did something similar a few years back a few miles down stream. In that scenario they were fined, however the damage was done.

David - you done good. We need more citizens like you.

Which stream was impacted? (Sent you PM too if you don't want to spot burn). If it's within Chester or Montco, I can get our VFTU to start keeping an eye on the developer/township and have them make sure we are apprised of their development plans before the fact.

Back