Wild Bow?

U

UraFish

im pretty sure this is a wild rainbow? lemme know? Caught a bunch of this ones clone....

Attachments

• wild bow.jpg
    wild bow.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 11
Tough to tell without seeing all the fins and such. Par marks look great though. Either way its a nice fish :)

Looks wild to be. Ive been told that small stocked rainbows have par marks like the wild ones. I think what makes this a candidate for wild is the size. Looks pretty tiny, and the PAFBC doesnt stocked below 7" unless there stocking fingerlings. Check to see if the stream you were fishing has finglerling stocking and you should have an answer.

I agree with Surveyor. Much depends on the stream and if it's not stocked that's probably a clincher that it's wild. Just by scrutinizing the photo, it certainly looks like a wild fish to me. We have wild bows in the Cumberland Valley and they look a lot like yours: chubby, very light background with rich red markings and bright blue parr marks.

Nice fish.

Are any fins clipped, and does the fish commission clip fins on fingerlings?
I wish the commission would just use the sppropriate trout for the given water if they have to use fingerlings , like if the water is cold year round brookies only, if the water is a lil warmer rainbows,and if it gets a lil warmer then browns,don't get me wrong i enjoy browns ,but it really nice to catch a rainbow once in a while ,and the icing on the cake to catch Brook Trout.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

does the fish commission clip fins on fingerlings?

Only in unique circumstances, if they plan to study and identify them later.

Yeah, hatchery fingerlings have par marks, often more pronounced than the wild bows actually.

But your fish, I have no idea. I suck at this with rainbows, the picture doesn't show the whole fish, it's just tough to tell. Is the stream or one close to it stocked with fingerlings? Is there a hatchery on it? Is it known to have wild bows? I'd rely more on circumstancial evidence on this one.

Back