uni knot vs loop

C

country52

How does everyon tie your fly line to leader? Is it all apples and oranges or is one better than the other?

Loop. Fly line is too expensive for me to be constantly nipping away at it.

I use the uni-knot because I feel it allows the line to roll properly. To avoid the nipping, I use tippet rings.

Normally a looped fly line but I've also used Eagle Claw leader links. They work well. No cutting back fly line. Simply add a new leader when required.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Eagle-Claw-Tapered-Line-Leader-links

I prefer to tie a mono loop on the end of the fly line. I use a needle knot. If done well it will last as long as your fly line will.

GenCon

Cortland_Slip-On_Leader_Loops.jpg

I use the slip on leaders loops too, but I like to grease it up real well before I begin fishing and periodically thru the day. Otherwise they tend to soak up water and sink the tip of your line.

I always use a nail knot to connect them, but the loop connection is probably a better idea.

I tried the slip on loops but did not care for them. On lines without a factory loop, I use a length of mono nail knotted to the fly line and tied with a surgeon's loop for a loop to loop connection.

I use a mono loop connector. Nail knotted to fly line with a perfection loop on the mono. They are very durable but I usually replace with a new one at the beginning of the season mainly because it just makes me feel better. I have never had one fail on me yet.

I also use a mono loop nail knotted to my fly line. It's a pain to tie properly, but makes changing leaders really simple once it's done. I use a surgeon's loop usually - I've had a perfection loop come undone once... Probably my fault, but I don't trust them anymore.

+1 one on the mono loop nail knotted to the fly line with a perfection loop on the other end.

Man, I guess I'm ole school. I find something I like and it's hard for me to change. Maybe I should try some of these other things. I still go with a pliobonded Nail knot for the Butt to Fly Line connection and blood knots. I cut the loops off leaders if I use a factory knotless and blood knot the leader to the butt section. I don't mind tying blood knots.

Loop to Loop has never given me issues.

Nail knot. I cut the factory loop off the line too...With a nail knot tool I might only clip a half inch of line each time I change the leader. My butt section of leader gets changed maybe once a year. That's a half inch a year of line lost. I like a sleek transition from line through leader.

Back