Terrestrial Fly Patterns

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Been reading up and I have noticed people seem to fish a decent amt of terrestrial patterns in the summer.

Is this true?

Do not have many in my fly box so I was wondering what patterns are must haves, especially for the eastern part of Pa, hoppers, crickets, etc, etc?

///Concentrating of trout and SMB

I purchased a fly assortment a few months ago and the only ones I have are Foam Beetle (14) and Black Flying Ant (16)

Thanks

Yup.
I catch fish on beetles all summer and fall.
Unless I see some kind of aquatic insect obviously having - it's the first thing I tie on at this time of year

I use mostly ants of all sizes types: foam, dubbing, winged, parachute.
I also like foam hoppers. I don't catch many on hoppers, but they are some of the best takes in fly fishing; explosions from nowhere.

I am an old greybeard who goes way back.I found the Letort cricket,ant and hopper as promoted by the "Carlisle gang" to all be very effective on appropriate waters.Should be worth carrying anywhere in the east.
the letort ant in cinnamon size 18 or 22 was my old reliable even on Western spring creeks.The hopper and cricket both worked great on the smaller western waters, as the naturals or skating caddis..Surprised that line has lost favor.
all three patterns were also good evening ties on ponds.Right at dark.

Terrestrial season is my favorite time to fish. I too am a big fan of the patterns developed on the Letort. Shenk's Letort Hopper size 14 is my all time favorite fly and will bring fish up anywhere this time of year. Have caught some nice memories with that fly. If you have a few bucks, check out "Fly Rod Trouting" by Ed Shenk. A lot cheaper than some of Marinaro or Fox's books on Amazon, but still gives you some great stories of how those patterns came about.

Good list going so far...I'll add not to forget inch worms, especially on forested streams...good old Green Weenie.

I have Ed’s video on tying and fishing the Letort cricket, ant and hopper as well as the book and enjoy it and his personality.
Buffalo

Easy to tie foam ants, hoppers and beetles....if we meet up Saturday I'll share some. Stupid simple and quick to tie.

Easy to tie foam ants, hoppers and beetles....if we meet up Saturday I'll share some. Stupid simple and quick to tie.

If I go the fly tying route my wife will flip. She still doesn't get how I haven't played a round of golf this year as any free time I want to be on the H2O

Fishing the Big Spring, Letort and Green Spring for over 40 years, terrestrials have become a way of life for summer fishing. My box includes the following:

Letort Hopper in sizes 12-16
Letort Cricket in sizes 14-18
Jassid (black and ginger varieties) in sizes 18-24
Beetles in sizes 12-20
Ants (dry, flying and ant) in sizes 14-22
Inch worm (dry and wet) in sizes 12-16

If I go the fly tying route my wife will flip. She still doesn't get how I haven't played a round of golf this year as any free time I want to be on the H2O

Best summed up by one statement

"If I have to explaine, you wouldn't understand"

Greens fee's vs. fly gear...?

What they said.

My favorite is a foam beetle.

Since this is a beginner forum and I have not bugged you in awhile..while recommending said beetle pattern how would you fish it?

A) Lightly present said beetle?
B) Slap the silly thing on the water so you could hear it do a belly flop?
C) Use it as a dry in a dry dropper pattern?

I'm going to leave this to the group. I like B.

D) all of the above.

Depending on where you are fishing. Flat glassy pools may call for a lighter presentation by and large. But fishing on edges with overhanging brush you may want to slap it down like a red headed stepchild. And when you come to a riffle leading into a pool a beetle/dropper can produce with those trouts that have their nose in the bed.

wetnet wrote:
Since this is a beginner forum and I have not bugged you in awhile..while recommending said beetle pattern how would you fish it?

A) Lightly present said beetle?
B) Slap the silly thing on the water so you could hear it do a belly flop?
C) Use it as a dry in a dry dropper pattern?

I'm going to leave this to the group. I like B.

Hoppers and Beetles slap. Ants just kind of splat. (Dr Seuss-ish if I say so myself)

Fishidiot wrote:
What they said.

My favorite is a foam beetle.
Me too.

Last year about this time I was hitting a certain hole that I could throw a hopper and catch a fish within a millisecond...it might have been the same fish every time but it was exciting, none the less! Nothing like a hopper slapping the water with an instant strike... Sort of like a slap/splash!

I was fishing a creek for panfish this weekend and all they wanted was a dry thrown under a branch. I must've caught 30-40 of all species. I even had a creek chub grab the dry numerous times in a run just below a riffle.

I like ants nearly year round. I prefer red and orange and don't be afraid to let them sink or give them subtle movement on top like they are struggling. Caught many a fish on ants below the surface. Even landed a carp on the breeches once with a sunken ant pattern.

You might consider picking up some stimulators - sometimes referred to as "stimis" on this board. They can represent hoppers, and several other terrestrials, or big stoneflies. Smallmouth will take them aggressively, as will trout.

Back