Really need some help

G

goodeyesniper

Im starting to get really annoyed and I don't even know what emotions. I love fly fishing. It's a lot of fun and I enjoy doing it. But I can catch fish from only 1 stream. And its the one I fish everyday basically behind my house. All stocked no wilds or anything. I only can catch them on a green weenie under a pink san wuan worm. I can't catch them on any nymph, woolly bugger or anything. I started fly fishing because I wanted to be able to fish all year round at the Little Lehigh so I can fish during the summer and winter but if I can barely catch stupid stocked trout how can I expect to catch hevily pressured wild trout? Isn't going to happen. I try and put countless hours into it. Drag free drifts, 6X flurocarbon leader and tippet, different size files, different flies, different depths, nothing. Had 1 hit a copper john. And thats it besides for the green weenie. I can go down and catch one after another with trout magnets and my secret but thats getting boring for me. I don't know what else to do. I can't catch trout on any other stream. I tried 3 other streams. Caught 0 fish. Every other cast I had one with the spinning rod. I just am out of ideas. I don't really know what advice im asking for, I guess just what yout hink I could be doing wrong or certain nymphs to try. Thanks for anyhelp Im just getting bored of spin fishing and want to start catching wild fish with the fly rod, but I need to be able to catch stocked trout first. LIke i said a green weenie under a san juan worm works but thats kinda boring because its not really fly fishing. It is but its not like using flies and nymphs that look like flies. Any help is apprecaited. Thanks!

Goodeye
I can see why you're feeling frustrated. On the bright side, you've had some success and don't beat yourself up for using greenweenies and red SJWs - I do it too when I want to catch stockies or even sometimes when tough, wild trout don't seem to want anything else. Have you actually tried to fish the Little Lehigh yet? If you can make a trip there, I'd recommend doing it. This might seem odd, but sometimes you can learn a lot just by watching other skilled fishermen - there will likely be plenty of them on the FF section of the LL. Just take your time, do some fishing, relax in the grass and watch some other anglers; how do they approach the water; where do they position themselves with regards to shoreline cover; do they appear to be nymphing and if so, how do they cast and hold their rods during the drift? If a fish rises; how do they approach and cast to it?
I'd also suggest, as I like to put it, to "think outside the trout box." Have you tried fishing for bass or sunfish? They're great fun and often easier than trout.
At this stage in the sport, try to enjoy the learning process and the rest of the game will come together with some time and practice. Fly fishing is challenging and information intensive and sometimes the learning curve seems steeper than it should be. Don't get discoureged. Go nail some more in your local creek with a greenweenie. It will all come together.

it is, and its what stocked fish eat because stocked fish are stupid.

when you use the spinning rod, do you catch stockies or wild fish?

remember,s tocked fish are stupid they see bright garish green weenies and enticingly wiggly SJWs and think food. they see a hare's ear go by and htey assume its a piece of chewing tobacco.

the point is, fish eat it because they think what you've show 'em are food. that's good enough, innit?

Thanks!!! I have tried there. I went to the hole i forget what they refer to it as but right near the hatchery and a lot of stockies get in there when it rains. I went there a few weeks ago from 6 am till dark with 1 look and 1 hit on a bugger. and thats it.

I think the pool you're talking about is usually called the "children's pool" and, yes, it's got a lot of fish. It's also fished heavily. Many well known special reg streams have a pool or three like this one where fish seem to stack up and so do the fishermen.
If you're getting strikes you're doing something right.

yeah thats true. And gfen all stockies. I don't know any streams around here with wild browns. The LL but that is mostly stocked. I know theres a list of streams on the pa fish site but I don't want to have my mom take me to one, have there be no fish in there or very few and than have to come get me an hour later. Thats why I can't wait until I can drive. I want to do brookie fishing sooo so so bad and wild browns. But need transportation to explore many streams in one day and be abale to drive in circles looking for them

I fished Spring Creek last year quite unsuccessfully. Now I catch fish. You'll come around. You'll try different things until something works for you.There's not a one sized fits all technique for [fly] fishing.
I'm assuming you've been spin fishing for a while. You're out of the learning process, and you know what works for you to catch fish. Bait set properly on the hook, proper weight, tight line. You KNOW how to bait fish, you're LEARNING how to fly fish.
Just take in as much information as you can and try it out on the water. Sometimes it's nice to spot a fish and try to catch it, rather than trying to hook up in a "fishy" spot.

It seems that you nymph a lot. I didn't start catching fish until I stepped out of my norm and tried something different. Sometimes that's the key to having one of those AHA! moments.

fwiw, i always had a difficult time catching stocked fish, but could nail the wild ones like they had a death wish.

why? i learned how to fish for 'em, but not te stocked ones.

different mindsets.

you're doing it right.

I think the big part is you gotta do 2 things.

1. FORGET- the spinning rod stats and understand this is a new game.

2. REMEMBER- The bait/lure presentation techniques you used with your spin gear.

You always start at zero. Gotta crawl first like they say. If you deliver a bugger like a trout magnet, you're money. If you drift those nymphs like a wax/meal/red/ worm, you're golden. Gotta have confidence though, so maybe like was mentioned, watch someone in action. If I lived close to you, I'd go out with you. It wasn't that long ago I was feeling the same as you. Don't give up man.

Edit- Also just because a fish was born in the stream doesn't mean it's smarter. Their brains are still the same, just used to different food. Sometimes they are easier to catch. I would say in most areas the stockies get way more pressure than a wild in a remote location.

Key phrase- remote location. get away from the popular/easy access pools. I see from your avatar you hunt. so you know what I'm saying. Most big bucks aren't killed beside the parking lot on the state game lands.

Yeah its just very frusturating. And I know they get pounded with pressure. I CAN"T WAIT untill i can drive so i can go to those remote places and walk miles to fish a hole that might not even have a minnow in it, go back to the truck and try a different stream. I think about it all day. I just can't do it. My mom drops me off and leaves. So if i go to try and find a stream, and either i don't find it, or can't get to it, or its lifeless I can't go back the truck and look on the map for another one. Cna't wait to catch my first wild or native brookie

goodeye,

This might be the opposite of what others are saying, but here goes anyway. Opinions are good, right?

Catch a hatch.

Seriously, dry fly fishing is easier, it's all about being in the right place at the right time. But once you're there, the fish rise and show you where they are. You can see the bugs and how they're taking them. When you fish, you can see the looks and refusals, and maybe its that twitch when they turn away or whatever. Plus, the rising fish, whether you're being successful or not, keeps your focus and makes you feel like you're oh so close.

In reality, you're "oh so close" all the time, but it doesn't always seem that way. Sometimes we all need to see it to get some level of confidence back.

To catch a hatch, right now, find a stream with sulfurs, go after dinner, and stay till after dark. The night should end when the bats get to you, or else you lose a fly and its too dark to tie a new one on.

Also, don't feel like you have to master stockies. Finding them is easier, but once you do, I wouldn't say the catching part is easier, just very different. You learn very little about how to catch wild fish by fishing for stockies, and you learn very little how to catch stockies by fishing for wild fish, it's not harder or easier, just a different ball game. And there are plenty of wild trout streams in your area, they are good.

I will try to catch one. Never thought about it that way. Yeah I know the LL and the saucen but I don't know where to go besides the FFO on the LL and down stream of that. Because I cna't go and "explore" with my mom because she drops me off and leaves and won't drive in circles until I find a good spot or section to fish.

I don't know that area well. The only stream in the area I ever fished is a wild trout stream, and I did alright, not great. Maybe someone more local can help ya out?

did ya ever try flipping rocks over to match whats in the water maybe your fish are taking the green weenies because it looks like a caddis larvae..... or maybe cause its green try a green egg eggs do well with stockies well maybe a lil earlier in the year i think eggs are on their way out or try a pellet fly ....

Sniper,

Im from the area and fish the LL very often, everyday at lunch time. I know the stream pretty well. Im going on vacation this week, but when I get back I will get ahold of you. Nymphing is the best way to get into trout on the LL. A size 16 PT will work right now, Sulphurs are in the drift. In the coming days they will be hatching in the evening. Also, in a month tricos will start. Thats when things get really fun. Lots of bugs and lots of fish. You will curse that hatch for sure, but once you figure out the secrets to trico fishing you can do pretty well.

Like I said, when I get back I will PM you, I can show you around if you want. In the meantime, nymph really early in the morning, and use plenty of weight, these rains are sure to make for some high water, but that also puts alot of food in the water. Good luck, keep at it. One day things just click and then you catch fish all the time.

Andy

Don't worry about weather you are fishing for stocked or wild trout, I have more trouble catching stocked trout than I do wild trout. I live on an all wild trout stream, and there is another stocked stream a couple miles away that I fished a couple times this year. When I go there I fish it harder than I do here because it's easier to wade and so far this year I am 0 on stocked trout. I fish the stocked streams after all the bait fisherman give up, but there should be some trout still there. I have no trouble catching wild trout.

If you can find someone in your area with experience to fish with, it would help you a lot, I'm sure some on here would be glad to help you. A few little things like leaders, and where the trout would be laying,( remember the fish aren't always on the otherside of the stream, I always start close, than work my way out) what flies to use.

Back