Newbie question

W

Wannalacka

Is it considered poor form to walk into a fly shop and ask for help in choosing flies? I've only begun fly fishing this summer and was hoping to get some help at a local fly shop. When I told the guy I really didn't know what I needed, he said, "Sounds like somebody needs to do his homework." I picked out about a dozen flies without his help, having NO IDEA what I was doing.
Did I breach some kind of fisherman's etiquette?

Wannalacka wrote:
Is it considered poor form to walk into a fly shop and ask for help in choosing flies? I've only begun fly fishing this summer and was hoping to get some help at a local fly shop. When I told the guy I really didn't know what I needed, he said, "Sounds like somebody needs to do his homework." I picked out about a dozen flies without his help, having NO IDEA what I was doing.

OMG! :-o

I can't believe any fly shop dude would do that! I'd venture to say 99% of shops would be more than willing to help you select flies.

Never be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. If you don't get help or answers, don't spend any cash there.

If you post details on where you fish and what you're after, I'm sure there are guys on here that would be more than glad to help you out.

Wannalacka wrote:
Is it considered poor form to walk into a fly shop and ask for help in choosing flies?

Certainly not.
The fly shop's response was poor form. Let us know what you're interested in and the folks here on Paflyfish should be able to answer your questions.

Welcome to our community.

Wannalacka wrote:

Hell to the no!!! I've learned some of my best tricks chatting with the guys in the fly shop....sorry you had that experience. I hope theres another local shop for you to visit...'cause that's what I'd recommend. And stop by here and ask questions, meet up with people, make friends and eat good food (thanks again Dave for cooking and grilling.....)

I hope your future experiences fly fishing are more positive!

Yikes. While it's not unheard of to catch a flyshop employee on a bad day, I'd consider shopping elsewhere.

There's a couple of flyshops not too far away from you, so you have choices.

Here's a hatch chart for the Lacky:

http://flyshack.com/HatchChart.aspx?RiverID=1624

My suggestion is to run down to the Evening Hatch in Lake Harmony. The guys in that shop are very knowledgeable, and have always been helpful to me. Their flies are top notch quality.

Finding a good fly shop that you can trust will make your future fly fishing experience a LOT easier.

Also, check out the Pocono Newbie Jam thread in this forum. It'd be a great way to pick up some free knowledge, and you'd get to meet some of the characters that post here.

Welcome to the site. There are a great group of folks on here with a wealth of knowledge. Keep an open mind and you will learn a lot very quickly. Good luck!

Wannalacka wrote:

Welcome to the PAFF....

That was a pretty stupid way to treat a customer......Especially one who definitely indicated he was ready to make a purchase, even one the store employee/owner considered small. I would bet that they have soured you on returning to that fly shop.

I strongly suggest you read here, ask questions (be ready for a ton of suggestions) and attend one of the "Newbie" gatherings when you have a chance.

While I'm still a newbie, PM me and I'll give what help I can. I'll be very surprised if you don't get other offers of help, as well.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a flyshop employee treat me that way. Actually it's the opposite - they are always willing to share information. At the two shops I frequent in Maryland, if they know you are a local and tie your own flies, they will not only tell you what's working, but give you advice on tying the patterns. It's unfortunate - I hope that guy understands that he lost a customer - he certainly gave you no reason to go back.

The more I think about this, the more it irritates me - on so many levels. One of the roles of a fly shop, in my opinion, is to give back to the greater fly fishing community. The "pay it forward" approach. They should have every interest in sharing information. Seems to me his thought process was to let you buy a dozen flies that may not work so you had to come back and buy more. Very disappointing to hear.

Thank you all, you have restored my faith in anglers and Humankind, in general. I'm relieved to hear that most fly guys are a welcoming, helpful bunch. I'm sure I'll be tapping you all for much info. I was afraid that maybe I had to crack the code before I'd be accepted. In some sports, like surfing or mtn. biking, novices aren't appreciated and I was afraid that this may be like that.

Wannalacka,

Check your PM box. I'm going to send you my contact info.

BTW, woolybuggers are producing some big ones on the Lackawanna

Wannalacka wrote:

Welcome to the board Wannalacka. Stay around these parts and ask any questions, no matter how ‘dumb’ you may think they are. Also read the other area of the forums to pick up lil some more knowledge. You will quickly see in the Beginner forum, no question is dumb, you can get a variety of answers & knowledge, and all they ‘elders’ and us newbies are a great group of guys.

Per your experience .. as a small business owner I might differ from the group in my opinion. I am going to assume, and correct me if I am wrong, that you spoke with an employee and not the owner???

I believe in the free market and I choose to support the small business when ever I can. I prefer local hardware stores over lowes or HD for example, and use them whenever I can. If it is a small shop close to your location maybe have a discussion with the owner about your experience. I wouldn’t ‘rat out’ the person who treated you that way BUT this might give the owner the thought to call a meeting with his workers and explain the importance of customer service, not only for his store but for the sport as well. If one of my employees was behaving in a way I found undesirable I would appreciate if a customer, potential customer, vendor, etc, told me about it.

I would wager that if he is a smart business owner and cares abt his business and the sport of FF he would really appreciate your input. If it was the owner who treated you this way then I wouldn’t give him my business ever again and choose to shop elsewhere.

Might also be the kind of day that employee was having. I clearly remember a similar experience I had when buying some of my first flies. I walked into a well regarded flyshop where the owner was having a discussion with a couple of friends. I felt very self conscious as I explained I was a beginner and needed some advice on what to fish(I didn't interrupt his conversation). The owner looked at me and seemed a bit peeved as he rattled off about a half dozen names that I clearly did not comprehend, and turned back to his buddies. I left the shop without buying anything.

Perhaps that was a tough day or he received some bad news or bills. Its best not to be judgmental, and I would certainly return and talk to him again. However, if the same situation occurs repeatedly, than I would not return.

Once and done for me. I don't care what kind of day you are having. If you are rude to me in your place of business, I will never come back.

Come here to do your homework , stay away from nazi fly shops but find one cause they will help you and you will make friends but here is where to do most of your "homework"......welcome.

Dude, that could have been a life long customer that guy turned away. I was treated completely opposite on my first visit to a fly shop, and I still shop at that store whenever I'm in the area. I can't imagine going in blind like that. I know the feeling, not knowing where to start w/ fly selection. Sorry you had that experience.

By the way, as a noob, you should NEVER be afraid to ask questions. Whether its in a shop, on this website, even streamside. Asking questions IS "doing your research".

Bad fly shop imo,or a person who had no idea as to what flies to recommend.
+1 Osprey and others who recommended this site for questions. Just ask, lots of willing members who will give sound advice. GG

I agree go back in the shop and see what happens, if the same thing happens talk to the owner about it. never know might end up giving you some flies for your bad experience. As a newbie to the sport i had no idea what to flies to get and what not to get. I ended up buying my rod at a different store and walked into the local shop called TCO in state college. Asked them to rig it up for me, without hesitation they said no problem. took them 10 minutes for them to do it all while giving me different locations to go and what flies to use.
Its too bad you got that experience but dont let that take you away from the sport. And always ask people who are fishing for different tips. Ive done it plenty of times and they are always willing to give you different information. ive even gotten a couple flies from the people ive asked questions about!!!

enjoy fishing and get out there as much as possible!!

Yeah, totally uncalled for. Actually, I still get similar treatment at this one shop i go to sometimes. Maybe its cause im young? When I first learned to fly fish, I was in school at psu, so I had two great shops to visit for info. FFP gave me knot demos etc. when I was in there and asking about. Both shops there were a tremendous help to me when I started out. To reassure you a bit, some flyshop employees are jerks, just the way it is. This is a highly involved sport, and some guys become too involved in themselves. Like any other activity, you are going to have your "hot shots". Whatever, dont let it negatively affect you. On the other side of the coin, 3/4 shops I have frequented in my short ff career have been instrumental in my development.

When I first started, and the guy who taught me wasn't around to tie for me, I hit up the small family run Orvis shop that's about 4 miles from my house. Not only did the guy INSIST on helping me, he showed me charts, and pictures of hatches that were currently on, and where to fish. I ended up spending about $25 that day, and he gave me about $40 worth of free stuff, including hooks, tippet, leaders, split shots, and some other stuff I don't quite remember. It is for this reason, I don't shop anywhere else. Not only do I support the little guy when I buy from these guys (Father and Son own the shop), but I know if I have any problems, they will be more than happy to help. Your experience sounds like a similar one I had at Gander Mountain though.

Back