New to the whole thing

daman1277

daman1277

Ok I have been trying to get into fly fishing for a year now. Been tying my own flies for a bout that same time frame. been out fly fishing a few times and no luck. Need some pointers.
Rod is a 5 weight 9 foot eagle claw: black eagle
Reel is a nice Yellowstone reel
Cortland Fairplay Dacron 20lb test backing
Cortland fairplay floating trout fly line
Cortland 4x tippet 24" long

I now know I need a 9' leader between my fly line and tippet was just going to use 8lb mono if that is doable.

I go out with the intentions to fly fish and always get mad at myself about the way i cast and the fact i dont catch anything so i always fall back to the spinning rod. Please help need a teacher. Want to find someone I could tag along with for casting pointers and what fly to use aka match the hatch

daman,

Your equipment is fine. The only thing you really need is a tapered leader. Straight mono will not turn over your fly. I suggest you buy a 71/2' 4x tapered leader. You can tie on a 18-24" of 4x or 5x tippet and tie your fly on to that.

Fly selection is not a big deal. Try some wooly buggers, hares ears, pheasant tails, and egg flies.

Good luck.

Practice casting in your back yard. Welcome, good luck. Also learn about drag. But I think most of all learn how to read the water. You do this by picking up a good book, tagging along with someone, or just spending time on the water.

Somebody out there up for taking me under their wing and showing me the ropes?

daman,

yeah, drag is a big thing, but get the cast down first. Your goal for now is simply to learn technique, catching fish comes slowly but eventually you catch more than you do with spinning gear. There's also a lot to learn about the when and where, which is much more important in FFing than it is with the spinning rod. Reading water too, although your spin fishing background is likely very helpful in that regard.

You need a tapered leader. It will greatly improve your cast immediately. Afish's advice is good. Go to a local fly shop and they'll hook you up, won't cost more than a few bucks. It is by far, the simplest way to get yourself started.

If you insist on using mono meant for spinning rods, then you can make your own, most of us end up doing that eventually anyhow. You want several sizes, connected with blood knots. The exact diameters, lengths and materials can get complicated and it's a science even the experts argue about. But basically, you want a butt section, which will be 25-40 lb test, a taper section, which will be several sizes from the butt size down to 10 lb or so, in however many steps you want (more is better but more hassle), and a tippet, which will be 2-8 lbs depending on size of fly. As a very general, 1/3 of the length should be butt, 1/3 taper, and 1/3 tippet.

I'd be happy to fish with you, although, you're an hour from me and my fishing time is going to be very limited in the near future. New baby due any day now. So look me up in the spring, still have to see how much fishing time my lifestyle change will allow, but I intend to get out at least some.

Better yet, this board holds a "beginners" day in early Spring. Last year we did it in early March I believe, in Allentown. The experienced members of the board teach various aspects of flyfishing to anyone who wants to attend, and then everyone goes out and fishes in the afternoon. It's an opportunity to learn from the experienced folks as the season kicks off. And also an opportunity to meet people to fish with, we're all pretty open to befriending all skill levels provided location and schedules allow.

I haven't seen a date for this year yet, but I believe we are planning on doing it again (Heritage, can you confirm?).

Thanks I to have a little one on the way due beginning of March. There goes my trout season lol

Here's the blog entry for last years instructional day. I highly recommend. It was late Feb., not early March.

http://www.paflyfish.com/smartsection.item.206/fly-fishing-instructional-mini-jam.html

Congrats on the little one. We're now past due, but nothing is happening yet!

daman1277 wrote:

I can teach you all kinds of bad habits if you can come to Reading during the week. The weekends are MINE.

jdaddy wrote:
daman1277 wrote:

I can teach you all kinds of bad habits if you can come to Reading during the week. The weekends are MINE.

^ If he tells you to stick your head in the water to look for the fish, don't do it! J/K... jdaddy is a wealth of knowledge, but he will probably talk about beer most of the time you fish. lol.

I can also attest to the knowledge you will gain by attending the beginners jam if there is another one. Everybody is very helpful and it shortens your learning curve considerably.

pcray1231 wrote:
I haven't seen a date for this year yet, but I believe we are planning on doing it again (Heritage, can you confirm?).

Yeah, we'll do this again. Just waiting for next year to start planning it.

We'll probably have a change of venue - one with heat. ;-)

Sorry we're not in the same area, I would be glad to help you out, I'm sure guys in your area will be glad to help you.

Do try to make the spring Jam, good time and plenty of help!

Your gear is fine, if you stay at it you'll have a lot more rods reels etc.

go to bucks county T.U. meetings, not sure when they have it now and talk to Lou..can't miss him just ask around everyone knows him.. he'll help you out..

Back