New to fly fishing and this forum

• Thread starter jandmcustomlures
  • Start date
J

jandmcustomlures

Hello Names Jay new to fly fishing although not new to trout fishing I have been pinning and drift fishing for Steelhead in the Ontario Tribs for a long time with my Father and Uncles. I am wanting to get out with the fly rod around Pa some more. I am from the Lake Ariel area. I am a total newbie when it comes to the fly rod. Any one intrested in getting out showing a newbie some basics would be great and I can also return the favor by getting you up to a few great places in upstate Ny. Pulaski is not the only place to fish ;)

Welcome! We are half a world a part, but I recommend looking for some get-togethers, (known as Jamborees, Jams, or mini-Jams as well as other names). People from the board get together occasionally and share information and a day of fishing and I am certain you'd be welcome at most any of them. This May 20-22 we are having our annual, traditional Jamboree and you are most certainly welcome there. It will be prime-hatch-time and one of the best periods of the year to experience the essence of fly fishing. The location, if I may opine, is also ideal for finding those hatches.

Oh, have a thick skin as we are a few really snobby about our method of fishing and you may get chided if you talk too much about the other methods.

Haha Skins think. I usually don't have that or any problems as I respect Nature and all fishing techniques. I am versitile my theorys are there is different types of fishing for the waters you are looking at. At 15,000 Cfm's throwing a dry fly would prob not be as good as drift fishing or bottom bouncing but hey to each thier own. I am intrested in the fly because I do like my pin where the snags are much less compared to bottom bouncing. But I would love to see the fish come up and suck that fly right off the top now thats a thing of beauty. But when at the big rivers I can go from bottom bouncing the white water to pinning or throwing speys in the calm slow water. I like all techniques that catch fish that is why we are out there in the end.

J&MLures,
Welcome to fly fishing (FFing) and welcome to the Paff Forum. This is a good crew and really not snobby at all. It's an FFing forum but many of us use spin gear when fishing. Just speaking for myself, I'm almost exclusively a FFer but do use spin gear from time to time, usually in salt water, catfish, or muskie fishing or some application where FFing is tough. You can continue to spin fish all you want and transition to FFing at whatever pace you care to. There are some FFers who begin fishing with FF gear and never learn how to spin fish or bait fish. I consider these types to be at a disadvantage, esp if they seek to be consistent fish catchers. Learning how to fish with lures will teach you a lot of lessons that carry over into FFing. Many of these lessons are easier and faster to learn with spin gear than the steeper learning curve that FFing requires. Your practice with center pinning, for instance, will serve you well when you try FFing for steelhead. I did notice that you posted some pics of some mighty nice fish in the Photos section. As an FFing site, fish photos posted here are assumed to have been caught FFing, although I have posted at least one pic myself of a fish caught spin fishing for which I put the disclaimer that it wasn't caught FFing. I was still proud of it.

This Beginner's Forum is the place to ask basic, newbie questions. Just about every topic related to FFing gets at least some discussion on this site so take some time to scroll through the other forums too.
DaveW

Back