New set up

B

bialeckij

Still kinda new to fly fishing only about 2 years now I currently have a 9' 5wt redington cross water combo and I'm interested in upgrading my rod and reel any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks

bialeck ... last year i purchased my 2nd set up with my 1st being a 9'-6wt. For my 2nd I went with a TFO Lefty Krey Finesse 7'9 4wt with Ross reel and it is all I've used for the past year ... love it. Use it on what I consider medium to small streams as I don't/haven't fished really big water yet.

What I recommend and learned from the guys on the board ...
tell them (gents on PAFF) what u plan on using it for, budget, etc and they will recommend some possible sizes, setups, brands, etc. Once u have that info head over to a shop near u, cast a few of them. Which ever feels good and meets ur criteria and snatch it up.

Good luck

Thankyou Stagger_Lee I'll be mostly using it on med/small streams for trout my budget is under 600. I have some left over money from taxes

Im a st croix guy, so i would go with the imperial in a 5 wt. i like the 5 because it has enough backbone to throw decent size streamers, yet can still deliver dries and wets with finesse.

That being said, i think brand and weight are a personal preference. Probably your best bet is to go to a few shops and see what they have. You can read all the advice in the world, but we each like different things in our rods. Your redington setup is a good rod and reel combo. Try to identify what you dont like about it or what you would like it to do and that will help point you in the right direction.

I couldnt bring my to spend 600 on a rod for trout. I have a few rods two cabelas ones and a orvis. I really link my orvis Clearwater. Its probably my favorite rod. Feels grest when it cast and when you hook fish. Warranty is great 25 years you walk in and give you a new one if it was broken. Pair it up with a semi decent reel and your good.

bialeckij wrote:
Thankyou Stagger_Lee I'll be mostly using it on med/small streams for trout my budget is under 600. I have some left over money from taxes

Ok, that's a start. What is your idea of med/small streams? Width in feet please, or name a few streams that fits what you're thinking. What kind of fishing do you anticipate using this rod for mostly? Dries, nymphs, streamers, wets? What kind of action do you like? Soft, med/fast, fast? Answer these questions and some very knowledgeable people will help you fill in the blanks.

Your Redington combo is a decent quality setup.

Unless you need/want a different weight/length combo for fishing specific situations where the 5wt isn't the best choice, you'll find that "upgrading" to a more expensive rig won't make a significant difference for you.

It's how the fisherman uses it that matters most.

My advise is to use the money to get gear you don't have, or may want. Maybe a new line if your current one isn't performing well.

The best investment you can make to get better results in flyfishing is to improve your skills. A well educated angler with a cheap outfit will usually outfish a beginner with a high end rig.

A good flyfishing school or a day on the water with a good guide would likely give better results than an upgrade to your rod setup.

If you are able to make it, I'd suggest attending the Newbie Jam this Saturday (see the events forum). You'll be able to improve your skills, and learn things you may not already know. We'll also have a bunch of different rods/reels there, and our gear instructors will be able to show you the advantages of the different setups - including higher quality rigs. You might even be able to cast some to see what you like. Won't cost you a dime, unless you want to go for lunch with us.

Just a thought...

Heritage angler your right I do like my rod now If I upgrade line do you have any suggestions? for a weight forward 5 wt floating line? I wish I could make it to the newbie jam but I have to work

While Heritage is correct in saying:

A well educated angler with a cheap outfit will usually outfish a beginner with a high end rig.

It's also not the whole story. Fishing with quality tackle will reduce your fatigue (it's usually lighter) and improve your casting 'feel', making it easier to make the right cast.

I'd definitely suggest trying out some rods at various price points so you can determine if upgrading is the right decision.

A good flyfishing school or a day on the water with a good guide would likely give better results than an upgrade to your rod setup.

I have been fly fishing for 3 years or so now, but still consider myself a bit of a newbie. If I had an extra $600 to spend I would love to take this advice and hire a guide for a day. I could learn so much from a good guide! Not only about reading water and fly fishing techniques, but I could also pick up some information on the big trout streams around here that I'm planning to explore more this Spring.

I can't imagine spending $600 on a rod. Especially a couple years ago when I was first starting out. I usually buy Cabela's brand rods, and they always seem to cast just fine for me. Cabela's brand reels too.

I just picked up 2 reels from them for $25 each, actually. I've always felt that expensive reels (for trout, anyway) are more about the aesthetics than about performance. Not like trout are going to be ripping a hundred yards of backing off your reel or something.

I *would* love to get a nicer fly line for a couple of my setups, though. I definitely believe that nicer fly lines float higher and shoot easier than the really cheap ones. I'm just too cheap to buy anything more expensive than the Cabela's brand lines that sell for $30 or so. But the $20 lines I've bought in the past have been significantly worse as far as performance and longevity than the slightly more expensive ones. It just seems to me that in rods the more money you spend the less you actually get for your money. Diminishing returns, if you know what I mean. Not that I've ever even cast a $600 rod to begin with...

Ha ha anyway that's a long rambling way to say good luck deciding how to spend your money, but don't forget to at least think about all the other fly fishing stuff you can spend it on other than a rod and reel... Never even attempted to answer your actual question, did I? Lol.

bialecki,

If you are looking for a line upgrade, you can still find last years Rio Gold on closeout for $40-45. Grab it, you won't be sorry. A line upgrade will make as much of a difference as anything in your casting / fishing enjoyment.

If you have a 5wt you like, add a 4 and/or 6 to the quiver. It will give you options to fish heavier stuff (and bass) and the shorter lighter rod might work better for tight conditions and will make catching the little guys more fun.

Sending PM with 3 options that bring you in well under your budget and get you some pretty nice set ups.

Check your inbox.

krayfish wrote:

If you have a 5wt you like, add a 4 and/or 6 to the quiver. It will give you options to fish heavier stuff (and bass) and the shorter lighter rod might work better for tight conditions and will make catching the little guys more fun.
Kray ... what is the philosophy of adding different line weight to a certain weighted rod, (higher or lower)?

I remember last year a bunch of gents helped me with all my questions for my 2nd setup. U guys explained everything but I forgot and can't find the thread. When I went to the store and read verbatim from the site on my phone the sales guy questioned me a lil. I went with the boards advise (which i always do) and love my new setup but was just curious.

Stagger,

I wasn't suggesting using a 4wt line or a 6wt line on the existing 5 weight rod. I was suggesting adding a new rod or two into the rotation.

If you are going to be at the Newbie Jam, I'll bring several rods and reels. We can underline a rod....let you cast it. We'll put the line on that's listed on the blank....let you cast it. I'll then overline it and let you cast it. You won't have to ask "why" any longer and you'd get first hand experience feeling the differences for yourself.

I expect you to introduce yourself as 'Lemont'. LOL

Yes the Crosswater rod is very solid. Maybe you want to consider a reel upgrade. The Crosswater reel seems a little cheap to me. New line and a new reel would go a long way on that rod.

kray wrote:
I expect you to introduce yourself as 'Lemont'. LOL

I'll look for the dude wearing the No Refunds t-shirt

Link for the 'deadbeat hero'....that's me.

FWIW, I found the original poster a TFO rod, echo reel, backing, line for under $200. Also suggested snagging rio gold before they are gone. He wants to take the remainder and get started in fly tying. A happy ending for all.

krayfish wrote:

I found the original poster a TFO rod, echo reel, backing, line for under $200. Also suggested snagging rio gold before they are gone. He wants to take the remainder and get started in fly tying. A happy ending for all.

Barack-Obama-Clapping-in-Front-of-American-Flags.gif

I find that offensive. LMAO

Back