New here and summer fly selection

Troutbum85

Troutbum85

Hey guys I'm new here and just wanted to stop by and say hello. My names Tyler I'm 21 and I live near Greensburg, I'm 2 years into fly fishing but this is the first year that I have really been getting into it and focusing just on it. I've been doing really good and learning a lot but still call myself a beginner. I wanted to know what fly selections you all think works best in the summer when the water starts to get low and the fish get picky. Plus what nymphs seem to work best all summer. Thanks guys and tight lines

Tyler,
Welcome to our online community and our Beginner's Forum.

Fly fishing for trout in summertime can be a challenge. Although not the topic of your question, I'd recommend you get a stream thermometer (If you haven't already). If water temps are about 70 degrees or higher, most of us don't enagage in catch and release trout fishing. When this happens, it's time to chase bass or look for a colder creek.

Anyway, with respect to flies for summer, my go-to summer trout fly is a black foam beetle, about size #14. Insects that live on land and fall into the stream by accident are known as "terrestrials" and beetles and other terrestrials are good during summer. I'd suggest the following:
-Foam Beetle, #14
-Black Ant (floating version) #18
-Black Ant (sinking version) #18
-Red Ant (floating) #22 (this fly is very good on picky fish)
-Trico Spinner #24
-Inch Worm #14
-Cricket or Hoppers #10

For Nymphs you can use the same generic versions that you would use in springtime but it would probably be good to downsize 'em a bit:
Here's a couple:
-Isonychia #14
-Zebra Midge #20

Welcome aboard. Fishidiot just gave you great advice. I would listen. His favorite summer fly is the same as mine. Foam beetles are like a steak dinner to trout. LOL

Welcome aboard, in case you didn't notice beetles & ants are a good choice for summer. #16, #18 frenchies, creesbugs/shrimp patterns. Stoneflies in the streams that have them are good as well.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've used ants and hoppers a few times before and have always had success fishing them. I will say though that I've never used a foam beetle, I have two in my fly box in size 14 but have never tied them on. I just got my new order of flies so I'm eager to head to the stream. Is there still any good hatches going on? I missed a lot of good fishing since I didn't have many flies and I didn't have any time to tie because of school.

Troutbum85 wrote:
Is there still any good hatches going on?

Yes, although most traditional springtime hatches are probably finished. I saw a few "ISOs" this morning (this is a large, gray mayfly that is common across the state and hatches in June). ISO stands for Isonychia.

this is pretty good if you fish any of these:

http://tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Stream_Conditions.cfm

Back