Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

List of navigable waters

From Dallas, Pa
I'm new to stream fishing, so this might be a stupid question. But... Is there a list of Pa streams that are considered navigable waters, that is, are open to the public?

Posted on: 2011/3/27 9:51

Re: List of navigable waters

From Fayette Co, Pa

Posted on: 2011/3/27 10:39

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Tricky question. Yes and no. Here's a list I found, embedded in a document in 1914. At that time, the department of fisheries held these streams to be navigable. At this time, the courts consider any stream that is or ever was navigable to be navigable in their entirety. So legally, I think you could make a good argument for the navigability of every stream in this document, and your chances of winning in court would be excellent.

That said, many of these streams are posted. If you fished it claiming navigability, the system is that you and the landowner would go to court, and the judge would decide who was right, with you taking all of the risk. And only then would the final decision have been made. In other words, you have to challenge it in court before it's "official". Here's the link:

hit me

That said, the list of streams that have actually been challenged in court is much shorter. Off the top of my head (might be missing 1 or 2):

Delaware, Susquehanna, Lehigh, Juniata, Little Juniata, Allegheny, Monongahela, Ohio.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 8:28

From Lehigh Valley
Interesting list, except there appears to be some name changes...There's a Poco Poco or Big Creek "up to the falls."

I'm lost.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 9:38

From Eastern PA
That is interesting. Also of interest is page 161 where they discuss pollution cases.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 9:52

Can add the Youghiogheny or Allegheny River for a good river to float.

I also would add that if you plan to float a river such as the Little Juniata (same goes for Penns) during some of April, all of May and parts of June you will be floating by dozens if not hundreds of anglers.

Those anglers will probably not be pleased you are drifiting 5 feet away from them. It would be legal and all but I do not think it would be very much fun getting cross looks from dozens of anglers.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 9:53

From Bucks County or Bridgeville
Here is all the rules as they currently stand. http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/public/faq_public_waters.htm Off the top of my head I can think of dozens of other streams that should be on that list, but it would piss off a wee bit too many landowners, a.k.a. voters.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com