Grass Casting

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

Was wondering what kind of effect practicing to cast in the yard has on your fly line.
I've always practiced casting in a pond but its more convenient to do in the yard.

I've wondered the same thing, and how long can you actually baby your fly line. I find myself fishing in sand, mud, etc. I try to keep it clean and treat it, just seems like it's inevitable it will have to be replaced.

How many seasons can a "normal" guy get out of a decent fly line.

Not sure how much casting on grass actually harms the line...There have been a couple of threads about this. I keep a cheap line on an old reel now when I cast in the yard, but that's how I started.

As far as how long does a line last...keep it clean, check it for cracks once in a while and it'll last a LONG time.

I change mine atleast once a year. But then again I fish more than most.

I would think that as long as it's grass you are casting on and not gravel or hot coals all it would do would be make it dirty. As long as you clean it good before you fish water you should be ok.

Yeah I cast in the back yard all the time, especially if I ha e something new to play with. a little piece of mariboo or some of a cotton ball to stop the "whip crack". Also never cast just a line, the whip crack will destroy the tip/loop.else wise cast way.

I once read put objects around your yard in different spots to use as targets . I believe that was pcray who wrote that, but id doubt the first to ever write it.

It wont destroy the tip loop unless you use a nail knot.

Ya it was in the practice casting thread. Almost caught a groundhog while hoola hooping

YoughnessMonster wrote:
Was wondering what kind of effect practicing to cast in the yard has on your fly line.
I've always practiced casting in a pond but its more convenient to do in the yard.

Generally speaking a good base of grass shouldn't have an adverse effects on your line. If your ground is rocky, rough et al it can do some damage. I typically practice on my lawn, however I keep a couple of spare reels with line from several years ago that I use for practice that I clean to keep in decent shape periodically after so many practice sessions.

You'll be fine as long as there's nothing on the grass that is abrasive or sharp.

Maybe safer for the flyline in the yard. Ponds tend to have alot of chemicals that can degrade you flyline.

It's alot of fun to practice in the yard with squirrels. have them investigate your fly and than you give it a good tug and watch them jump like crazy.

Back