Getting into Fly-Fishing

robbie514

robbie514

I am just starting to get into fly fishing. I have already practiced casting so I am not completely new. What I would like to know is the gear I would need. I will be fishing for trout in Hay Creek and panfish in the Schuylkill River. I will probably end up catching the occasional smallmouth too(they aren't big, maybe 8 to 12 inches average). I need to know what weight rod I will need, what size leader/tippet needed, and what size flies I should concentrate on.

A good general purpose rod would be a 5 weight, 8' 6" or 9'.

But that's barely a starting point. If possible try different rods to find what suits you best.

For me, I preferred a medium fast action but now like my rods a little faster than originally.

Thank you Cathy G. for the new information. I think I will just use a medium action to start, but what weight rod(4 or 5) should I use. Also any other answers to my other questions are welcomed.

Welcome to the forum.

Given Cathy's recommendation you should consider getting a combo outfit which includes rod, reel and line. Cabela's has the largest selection.

Rod & Reel Combos

IMO, the go to fly would be a woolly bugger size 8 and 10 in black and olive.

I'm still a novice at fly fishing for trout and don't want to give advice on other flies or tippet and leader sizes.

I'm sure some other more experienced members will supply additional information.

Hi Robbie

Welcome to the Jungle.

Given that you are planning to target SM Bass as well as trout, I would also suggest a 5 wt rod.

My first set up was a Cablea's Prestige outfit that my wife gave me for Christmas in 2011. I still fish the set up and was told by a much more experienced FF'er that it would take a long time for me to out grow the rod. It also came with some things you will certainly want to have as part of your gear. Nippers, Forceps, Leader Straightener, Split-shot and Strike Indicators. Also included a small pouch to keep it all in.

Look at the hatch charts for the areas you plan to fish and it will give you a good idea of flies and the sizes to use.

Read this forum, in paticular this section of it, and you will learn a lot from the questions that you (and those of us that have preceded you) ask and the answers provided.

Keep an eye out for the Newbie Brush-up day to be scheduled in the near future. It will be on water instruction provided by some very skilled anglers.

If you would like to see the hand-out that we prepared for the Newbie Jam held last week, PM me an email address and I will send you a copy of the file.

Best of Luck

5x tippet and 5x leaders, pheasant tail and hares ear nymph variants in sizes 14-18, adams and elk hair caddis in 14-18, then a few attractors such as eggs in 14 and san juan worms

Thank you everbody. This was very helpful. I think I am going to get a 5 or 6 weight rod with various leader sizes. Thank you for the recommendation on flies:)

Back