First time in 20 years

KeithS

KeithS

Now that the kids are grown, I'm not coaching anymore. Consequently, I'm fishing as often as I did when I had no kids.
I ran into a couple of guys over the last few weeks who MOSTLY fly fish and it got me started up again.
With a new WF7F and leader and 3 rods,(one definitely a 7' 6wt. the 2 others 9' for either 5wt or 6wt the other definitely 9' for 6wt) I headed to the Perk yesterday. I hadn't been fly fishing too long when I stopped fishing all together and my casting was horrible. All I remember was knots and frustration. Yesterday was not the case.
Perhaps it is the patience that comes with age, maybe it was more the research into matching lines w/ rods and casting strokes, but I found that I could cast and fish much more effectively than I remember.
I still had some knots, but I was able to correct my mistakes and
avoid wind knots enough to catch some SMALL fish.
You wanna talk about stoked?
I hope I can make it to the WW JAM in August!! I gotta learn from you guys.

Welcome aboard! Great to hear it all came together for you. We look forward to seeing you at the WW Jam in 2 weeks. See you there.

Those small fish can be a lot of fun. You're fishing for bass right now?

Welcome aboard.GG

If you ask the fish, they'll say Verysmallmouth, But I am getting some fish. Of course I'm also picking up sunnies and bluegill. I guess I'm one of the few that don't mind them.
I need to stock up on some flies badly. What can anyone suggest for the Juniata? I'd like to try to make the WW Jam, if I can take the embarrassment.

KeithS wrote:
If you ask the fish, they'll say Verysmallmouth, But I am getting some fish. Of course I'm also picking up sunnies and bluegill. I guess I'm one of the few that don't mind them.
I need to stock up on some flies badly. What can anyone suggest for the Juniata? I'd like to try to make the WW Jam, if I can take the embarrassment.

Keith,
Welcome to PAFF and welcome (back) to fly fishing. Beginners are welcome at PAFF jams and events and we'll give you some tips on bass fishing if you can make the jam. I will be providing a brief overview of the river when we get there and some dos/don'ts as well as some pointers on where to wade or float. I'll also have handouts with a map and directions to the takeout point as we will rally in the evening at the takeout point about 6 miles downriver from the start point.
As for flies for the WW jam, all you'll need are bass basics: a handful of poppers, some Clouser type flies and Wooly Buggers. I fish a lot for bass with large nymphs too and have some trout sized nymphs for smaller bass or sunnies if the bigger fish are uncooperative.

Suggested sizes? I seem to remember reading #2 through #6?

Keith,

You've got a few guys that live right down by the Perk. Maybe one of them will jump on and work with you a little to get the mechanics better.

Get some #2-6 crayfish or some big helgramites for the WW JAM. Can't go wrong with those.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Keith,
It was a pleasure meeting you - glad you could make the WW jam. Woulda been nice if the fishin was better but otherwise it was a great day.
I watched you casting that morning - you've got a good cast. The lack of fish action certainly wasn't due to your casting ability.

Thanks, Fishidiot. I haven't looked @ this post in a while.
I appreciate the help and advice.
Next WW Jam, I'll be floating. It was frustrating, being limited in my mobility, more this time than ever before. Of course, I always fish alone.

Back