considering fly fishing HELP!!!!

U

UraFish

Hello all.....

If anyone could steer me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. Im 29 yrs old from somerset county PA. I have been fishing as long as i can remember. but recently i have really got into fishing... its more than just a hobby now! I have been watching guys fly fishing, and have become very interested in it. I really think it would be something i could get very passionate about. I need to know where to start. Obviously i need gear but... i.e what kind of rod? how do u know what flies to use at what times? surely its more than trial and error? i mean i went to gander mtn and there are thousands of flies? i wouldnt have a clue where to begin! thanks again

Read up as much as you can on here and ask more specific questions and lots of them.

My first suggestion would be for you to hookup with someone (maybe a kind board member) in your area with gear to let you use for an outing, just to make sure it's really as fun as you think it will be (Even though, it will). That way you can also learn the basics.

I've never been much of a "class taker" but local fly shops should provide those as well if thats the route you wish to take. I'm more a trial and error (and error and error and error) guy myself.

Welcome!

My suggestion is to get a cheaper 4 or 5wt combo, for around $50. It's good enough to give you a full year of fun. Then you can decide if you want to keep at it or not, and you'll have a pretty good idea of your personal style and what to look for.

If you take a poll of everyone on this board, you'll get hundreds of answers on what to get. I'd just say for your area, 8'6" 4 or 5wt will do you just fine. This way you're not spending a lot of money on something you're unsure about.

And concerning flies and at what time... Consult a hatch chart. Or use the basic fly outline Gfen has on here (No idea where it is). Just search "Fly suggestions" or something similar.

I can get the redington for 60 bux.....? so 10 dollars more for a better rod.... i should do it right?

$100 is not a lot of money anymore so find some one near you-ask on here if someone can show you in a store the difference between a bargain and a cheap rod.
This is no reflection on the above replies but I can remember a fellow so excited about his new fly rod he brought it to work so I could try it.
How do you tell someone he bought a piece of crap?
Helps greatly if someone can show you in the store or at their home or riverside.lol
I am with BPS on this.

IMHO, I'd check the classifieds on here and ebay, and see if you can't afford a decent used setup for the same price as a new combo.

I'm a newby at this too; basically started late last year and what I did was picked up a 5wt 8'6" Cahill combo at Cabelas. The combo works quite well and it has gotten very good reviews on the Cabelas website. As far as fly selection; picked up an eastern trout assortment at cabelas along with the usual streamers and nymphs. As far as tips and tricks, ask a lot of questions on the site here and just go out and have fun. Just try not to get too frustrated if you are not catching anything your first couple times out, because it will happen, trust me.

For $100 bucks at LLBean (store in Pittsburgh or free shipping) you can get a decent 4 or 5 weight rod, reel, backing, leader and case - with a lifetime warranty.

Your going to spend at least another $50 - $100 on supplies and a few flies.

This assumes you'll be bank fishing or wet-wading.
Add another $200 if you want waders/boots.

Alright. I'm younger than you, and I started on my own, had some help from the guy at the local fly shop, and read some books here and there.

Get a combo rod, or as previously stated, get yourself a cheaper used rod(WITH GOOD LINE).

I'm assuming you will be fishing for trout, so here you are left with 3 options.

1. Dry Flies- Personally, I would start out with this, because I did start out with this. It is fishing those top water mayflies, caddis, stones, midges, etc.. It allows you to practice long distance casting, and allows for some frustration on the water, but fun in that first strike.

2. Nymphs- This is also a very good way to start off. If you do it the right way, unlike what I did. You start off with flies that are usually smaller and under the water. USE INDICATORS....I never did to begin with, and I was pretty much just letting a fly drift down the water, and not really noticing any takes. It can be compared to fishing with a worm and bobber and is pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

3. Streamers- Not what I would recommend to start with, it can be compared to spinner fishing, kinda.... You are using what appear to be little fish(most of the time) and it can be tiresome with little reward when first starting out.

No matter which way you choose. Get a pair of waders and a vest. When you start looking at flies stick with the basics, because they work. Just a couple examples.
Dry Flies- Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Royal Coachman(I'm a big fan)
Nymphs- Pheasant tail, Gold Ribbed Hare's ear, caddis pupa***One of my favorites.

Just have fun man. If you try it once, on a nice day, when the sun is just coming up, or just going down. Flies bouncing off the water, trout rising all around you. It's surreal. Everyone on here has knowledge about one thing or another, and tap that resource. I've been in your shoes, and it can sound like a lot, with a lot of new things you've never heard before, but ease yourself in and don't burn yourself out. Fish on man.

~Hugh

words of advice,when starting out consider the size of the water you will most often fish.if its small brooktrout or mountain streams use a 7'-7'6" 4 or 5 weight rod. If you are fishing bigger water try and get a 8'-9' rod marked for a 5 weight line.
Remeber one thing just because it says 5 on the rod blank doesnt mean you can't use a size above or below the listed size rating,sometimes you might be surprised at how much that rod casts with a line heavier or lighter .Also look to see if you can get a an outfit that has a reel you can buy extra spools for that way you can use your 5 weight line on one spool and place a 4 weight line on another sppol and a six on the other spool,then if you have trouble with wind ..just switch to the 6 weight or if it gets real calm switch to a 4 weight.
BTW i started out with a Cortland just add water outfit and caught plenty of trout before i became a equipment addict for a time.
One thing about that cortland outfit was that it came with rod tube ,rod a two piece 7'6" 5 weight ,a cortland 444 double taper floater,a leader a video a crown 2 reel and proper amount of backing. I considered this a steal at 150 bucks.
The flyfisherman you see, go and see if you can approach them and tell them you are very interested in trying this type of fishing out and would like to try it but dont have a oufit or idea how.Maybe surprised to get asked to go along or borrow a rod and fish withthe guy sometime.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. stay away from walmart ..Martin outfits wont make your fishing pleasure cut it.

I second the last comment. STAY AWAY FROM WALMART....Excuse me while I rant. The flies are junk, the rods are junk. Hell, half the equipment is junk. You are better off going to a local shop, or making your own. ;-)

So I bought the redington crosswater 8ft 5/6 rod reel combo on ebay, it already has the line on it. There is a creek behind my house that holds ton of brownies, and also plenty of natives! Can't wait to give it a whirl! What flies should I be using right now......

PS thanks for all the info! I appreciate it so much! I can't wait to post the pic of my first FF hookup!

I would first buy a book like the orvis fly fishing guide. Read up on how the aquatic cycle works for mayflies, caddis, and stoneflies.

Start w. nymphs, without a strike indicator. Learn to high stick and be in constant contact with your fly line. Then, when you start feeling the strikes, throw the indy in.

Move on to buggers. Don't fish them like a spinner. Fish them with style. Learn to swing/strip at the end. Here, you can also start using wet flies.

Then, after you've spent some time in the lawn casting loops, pm me and I'll take you native fishing. You will go through phases like all of us have.

I started fly fishing after a solid year of avid centrepinning with flies. Without the knowledge of how the aquatic cycle works, the transition would have not been as easy.

It's your world, your life, and your realm... forge you own paths.

as far as flies, nothing beats a standard high floating adams or size 12 stimulator for dumb wild freestone fish. Upstream approach, learn to stay in a casting lane to avoid tree trouble, and start with a 9 foot leader (you'll thank me later on).

When fishing up, don't make far casts. Stay low, employ a side arm cast, and fish the bottom of a pool first, then the middle, then the top. Take your time.

I also want to fish your native stretch :)

since i'm triple posting, I'll add this.

PatriotFly26 wrote:
I second the last comment. STAY AWAY FROM WALMART....Excuse me while I rant. The flies are junk, the rods are junk. Hell, half the equipment is junk. You are better off going to a local shop, or making your own. ;-)

he's right... except for one thing. If your local wally world sells fairplay tapered leaders. Buy them. They are reliable. I would then, since they are only 7.5 feet at 1.96 cents, buy a spool of rio powerflex in 0, 2, 4, 5, and 6 x. Buy tapered leaders at 5x to start out. Add 3-4 feet of 5x powerflex to this. When you burn through 2 feet, add another 3 feet. This leader will last you a long time.

I use recycled butt sections of leaders. I also build my own. I start off with 2 feet of 0x, then triple surgeon 2 feet of 2x, and so on until i reach the point I'm fishing. For streamers, I stop at 4x, but mostly use 3. For dries and nymphs, I use 5x unless 6 is needed.

I go drone on for hours, but I hoped my buzzed rant has helped you in some way.

Jeez steve. Sounds like me on refill day. Lol

Wow, I am totally impressed with this site! I just signed up today, and I have gotten a lot of advice already! THANX!!!!!

BPS wrote:
Jeez steve. Sounds like me on refill day. Lol

haha nail on the head dude... i woke up this morning thinking, "Did I really triple post all that crap?"

I'd say try an borrow the stuff to make sure you like it. Then if you do indeed like it buy top of the line. I did the always upgrade kinda deal and you end up spending alot more money then just going and buying the top of the line and being done. But that being said thats just how I am.

i appreciate the triple post dude!!!!!!! i appreciate all the posts! I mean i kinda feel like a blind/deaf dude walking through the middle of town! its a lot to take in when youve been bait fishing since a young buck! this is uncarted waters to me ((((for now!))))

Back