Buying Flies

robbie514

robbie514

I am new to fly-fishing in general. I have quite a few questions, but the one I am asking is, can I cast a size 2 fly with a 6 weight fly, and what is the smallest fly a 6 weight rod would cast. I ask because I don't want to buy flies that are too big ang waist money, but I plan on tying flies eventually:) Like I said I'm new so I don't have too much common sense when it comes to fly fishing. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

The size does not matter to the rod casting except if it is too heavy to cast. Example your rod with a medium fast action could cast medium size bass flys such as Clousers with the dumbell eyes. It could also cast a size 24 Trico with out any problem. Fishing a very small fly may be a little problem with setting the hook and breaking them off due to a very light tippet. Also it is easier to present a small fly in low clear water without a disturbance with a lighter weight line. Many years ago we had rods called c instead of a 6 weight and there were not many lighter weights that I can recall.

Thank you addictedangler, your reply helped greatly.

robbie514 wrote:
can I cast a size 2 fly with a 6 weight fly, and what is the smallest fly a 6 weight rod would cast. .

Robbie,
There is no relation between the sizes of flies and the sizes of fly rods. Fly rods are numbered based on the size of the fly line that matches them. For example, a "6 Weight" rod uses a 6 Weight (6WT) fly line. As AA pointed out above, you can cast any fly that is not too heavy for the rod. A fly's weight depends on the materials it is made of - not the size number, which is merely the hook size.

A 6WT is fairly big for trout fishing and with that rod you can probably cast just about any trout fly you would likely be fishing with in Pennsylvania...and that includes the smallest flies.

Robbie im going to PM you a guy that will hook you up with good flies and advice. he helped me greatly when i started out. He didnt even know me prior and advised on casting, where to fish, and most of all flies that really actually work. Email him and tell him Nate sent you.

Robbie, if you don't get that e-mail address by PM, let me know.

i sent it.

Robbie, have you bought a rod yet? I agree with the above posters. You have mentioned Hay a couple times. A 9' 6wt would be a bit much for that stream but if thats what you have it will work. If you are in Berks and want to go to TCO to pick up some samples for ordering from pn8's source (which is a good source and good guy) let me know. I have a bunch of stuff you can take a look at as well (part of a large lot I bought with lots of duplicate flies I'll never use).

Robbie.

Regarding buying flies... they can be expensive so be careful of what you buy. Make sure the flies you select are good choices for the waters you want to fish. I'm assuming you are going to be fishing for trout, is that right?

Here is a list of very good nymph and streamer choices for most trout waters in SE PA.

Hares Ear nymph #12 - #16
Prince nymph #12 - #16
Pheasant Tail nymph #12 - #18
Copper John nymph #14 - #18
Coachman wet fly #14
Any black stonefly #12 - #14
Any brown stonefly #12 - #14

Black Woolly Bugger #6 - #10
Olive " " #6 - #10
White marabou #6 - #10
Glo-bugs (imitates fish eggs) #12 - #16

That's eleven subsurface flies that will catch you plenty of PA trout. If you shop around you can buy all of these flies for less than $40.00.

If you PM me your address I'll tie some of them for you and mail them to you.

You certainly can cast that size fly with a 6 weight, but you are over equipped for Hay Creek with a 6 wt. If that's the only rod you have it's fine. I used to fish small streams with a big rod, because that was all I had.
A 4 weight 7'6" rod would be perfect for Hay Creek or any stream that size up to one about the size of the Tully, though I would probably go bigger for the Tully. As to being able to cast a #2 with a 4 weight, if it's a moderately fast rod yes.

Love the advice you guys are giving Robbie and I will be using a lot of it myself. I too could use some good contacts for buying flies and advice on matching and areas to fish in and around the Lancaster area. Also wouldn't mind the occasional road trip sites.

JVenezia wrote:
Love the advice you guys are giving Robbie and I will be using a lot of it myself. I too could use some good contacts for buying flies and advice on matching and areas to fish in and around the Lancaster area. Also wouldn't mind the occasional road trip sites.

PM sent

Back