Bought myself a winter toy

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Today, my practice caster rod showed up at my house. I figured it would be helpful to practice at home and get my casting better that it's current state.

Has anyone used one?

Which one did you get? Give a review of it if you would. Thought of getting one but never pulled the trigger.

Joan Wulff recommends a practice caster in her video Dynamics of Fly Casting but I don't think they help in seeing if your leader and tippet roll out in a straight line.

RC,

If you can make the line properly "turn over", even a poorly tied leader should follow suit.

krayfish wrote:
RC,

If you can make the line properly "turn over", even a poorly tied leader should follow suit.

When I first got started I spent a lot of time in the backyard practicing w/o a leader and a piece of yarn. I thought I was casting great, putting the line where I wanted, but when I hit the stream my leader and fly were landing in a clump.

When I posted about the problem, Heritage-Angler was nice enough to help me and solved the problem. I was bringing the rod back too far on the back cast.

I believe the indoor practice rods use a long piece of yarn instead of regular line so maybe they do help with getting the leader out in a straight line.

As I mentioned before, Joan Wulff recommends the in-door practice rods.

Here's a pic of what she used in the video:

royal_wulff_fly_o_rod.jpg

I picked up the Redington as it seems to be the best value

I've had the Wulf practice rod for about 6 or 7 years. I find it very useful. A good investment. It's a mistake not to practice casting and many if not the majority don't practice.

I'd buy one but I want to see it first as opposed to looking at a pic on my screen.

I have one that I got from Orvis. I think it works best for muscle memory when u can't get out much. Don't use it nearly as much as I did when I first got it last winter.

I am so close to a creek (10 minutes) that I get to practice all the time and get lucky and catch a stockie.

Some of you may recall that I underwent Achilles Repair this past Sept. I am not 100% up to being fully recovered. So my real winter toy is "I invested in" a Snow Blower. Hope I get to use it several times more this winter season. Yes, Lord, Bring me some snow that I can cast out with the new equipment!

I should've brought a snow blower. Purchased an electric shovel instead (basically a very small blower) and had a hard time with it this past friday. May exchange up ...

Well.... On the 31st I had hernia surgery and can't wait to play with my rod...

Rob, that last post had me laugh so hard, I think I just got a hernia.

RC
Go to YouTube and search 'echo practice rod'. Rajeff gives a demo against a dark background where it's easy to see the line / yarn. Found it to be pretty interesting.

here.... I found it. Also one for spey casting!!

I have one of the Echo practice rods, works nice but drives the dog nuts

I have the echo but my cat insists its a cat toy

CathyG wrote:
I have the echo but my cat insists its a cat toy

I had a cat and used to play with her in the back yard with a regular rod, fly line and a big fluffy indicator. When I got tired of playing, the cat would scream at me not to stop. It was funny.

Who has tried putting a 2wt line on one of these?
How about a spinning reel?
Has any body considered ice fishing with one?
Spet rod technique for sunfish...

krayfish wrote:
Rob, that last post had me laugh so hard, I think I just got a hernia.

RC
Go to YouTube and search 'echo practice rod'. Rajeff gives a demo against a dark background where it's easy to see the line / yarn. Found it to be pretty interesting.

That was the idea... I try to be a funny guy... But not usually successful

Back