Warm Water Mini- JAM 7 August 2010

F

Fishidiot

Attention PAFF Team WWI (warm water insurgents :) ): Let's get together for some warm water FFing. On Sat, 7 Aug we'll team up for a float/wade trip on the Juniata River - target smallmouth bass and muskellunge. I think a mini Jam in August ought to fit in between the trico Jam and presumably a steel Jam in the fall (so many Jams - so little time). This will be a combined float and wading trip. If you have a canoe, johnboat, or kayak by all means consider bringing it. When we get the group together we'll see if there are additional spaces in boats and how to pair up. Those without boat opportunities will have ample wading opportunities at both the start or end points of the float (or anywhere else they care to fish on the river). We'll meet at the PFBC boatramp at Thompsontown at noontime and float downriver to Millerstown, about 5 miles and finish the day at dusk. Big WW rivers in PA usually fish best in the evenings during high summer. If you're new to bass fishing I'd be happy to provide some tips and check your rigging at the boatramp when we link up as well as suggest some locations if you wish to drive up or downriver and wade. If you've never fished it, the Juniata is a very scenic river with nothing more than Class I riffles that might require a bit of dragging if the water is low in the area we're fishing. Wade fishing is easy although I recommend felt soles or cleats (skip the cleats if you hope to fish from a boat). The river is roughly about 100 yards wide with an average depth of about 1 foot dropping to several feet in some of the deeper holes. The bottom is mostly cobble and ledge rock with river grass islands. Thompsontown is off RT 22/322 between State College and Harrisburg. (Note: the PFBC boat ramps require that canoes/kayaks be registered or have a launch permit sticker - and of course don't forget a PFD and an extra if you've got one). You can fish with trout tackle but I'd recommend a 7 or 8WT rod (or bigger if you want to target muskies specifically). Poppers and Wooly Buggers will cover most of the bases. The SMB population in this part of the J is somewhat lower than the glory days back in the 1990s but it's still good with good numbers of big fish over 15 inches.

I'm 50/50, not gonna know until closer to time. Sounds like fun though.

If I do make it, I have no boat. Would appreciate a spot in someone else's. If not, just as well, I'm cool with wadin, too.

FishIdiot,

Don't forget to mention the trip to the Catskills. You missed that one and we've got 9 guys signed up already.

If I'm not working that day, I'll join the group on the J. Haven't bass fished in years. Just wish that Dauphin was a little closer to the river.

I'll be in for this one...as of right now I have no competing plans.
I have no boat, so put me on the list of an angler looking for a float.
John

Hey Dave, great idea. Count me in. I have a canoe to use but don't know if I have it filled yet. So I possibly have a seat open. Keep me in for a maybe.

Caught two at Wrightsville last night during the whitefly hatch. Its early this year.

As a newbie I would have loved to make this trip to fish for bass with the fly rod for the first time, but I am already going for smallies that weekend on the Delaware up near Barryville and Narrowsburg. If I decide to take my Fly rod on that trip what kind of flies would you recommend? Hope you guys have a great day out there!

Sounds like fun. A boat would be a must for me, to tough to wade for me anymore. I do have a few poppers and some other bass stuff, would have to wipe the dust off them.

PaulG

Attachments

• SMB in.jpg
    SMB in.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 5
sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Don't forget to mention the trip to the Catskills. You missed that one and we've got 9 guys signed up already.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I was thinking there was something in Sept and that the dog days of Aug would be good for a WW event.

LRSA,
Good luck on the Big D. For flies it's much less complicated than chasing trout on that river :)
Have some Clousers about 3-4" in white, chartruese, and earth tones; several poppers in whatever style suits you (smaller ones cast easier - I prefer poppers with cupped faces that make a commotion); various nymphs, trout nymphs are fine but have some larger ones 1-2" - black with rubber legs is a killer. Finally, in case there are some white flies at dusk have some small white poppers or "wulff" type dries. Good luck with your trip.

Just saw this - I'm in! Will be bringing my kayak along and for a "Plan B", the wading gear. My vehicle only has one boat slot, so hopefully we can work something out in the shuttle department. That's the only drawback to float trips.

Saw the river was looking a little low a few weeks ago when I travled upstate. Hopefully things will pick up in the precip department between now and early August...

Gonna get started on cranking out the buggers now.

I don't have the right gear or else Id consider this trip. I have 5 weight and 9 weight, to light then to heavy. I don't even have the flies ha. Wait I have a crap load of wooly buggers.

bassist

If you really woild like to go and Im able at the time, Im sure I have a rod you could use. I don't have much in the way of bass flies and plugs but your welcome to use one of my rods.

PaulG

You might check out renting canoes and shuttle services from Millers. I've never rented from them but have heard good things about them.

They also have a campground.

http://www.enterit.com/MILLERS3159/

A 9wt is not too heavy...

I will be using a 9wt if I come. Certainly not too heavy.

Jon,

You can get away with either rod.

troutbert is right. For years, Bobby Clouser has had his truck shuttled by the campground. Not sure of cost but it's only a quick call to figure it out.

Yeah I think I'm in, ill use my 9 weight. Thanks Paul for your offer.

Just ordered some top flies and other stuff.

I just got a GPS so driving shouldn't be issue for me any more.

Oh I want to catch a Muskie, what is the likely hood of finding some?(never caught one before)

Here's another campground to consider, if anyone's staying overnight.

Pitmans Riverside Campground, 1 mile east of Millerstown, adjacent to PFBC Greenwood access.

Stayed there back in 2001 and it was a well maintained campground with nice owners.

bassistjon112 wrote:
Oh I want to catch a Muskie, what is the likely hood of finding some?(never caught one before)

The Juniata is a first class muskie river but to be perfectly frank catching one takes a lot of time and commitment. If you'd really like a shot at a muskie I'd honestly recommend conventional tackle but keep in mind muskie lures are large and very expensive. As for simply finding one, the odds are better. I'd estimate that of the float trips I've made on this river when the sky and water were clear I typically expect to see a muskie or two. However, clear water and sunny days aren't the best days for hooking muskies but just seeing one of these fish is a thrill. If you're wading certain areas seeing one is a possibility. They average about 30" long but every year there's a fish or two in the upper 40" range that gets caught in the Juniata, often incidentally by guys targeting SMBs or walleyes. I know of a reliable report of a 52" fish released back in 1997. The muskies in this river are very fat (at least every one I've seen). When we link up at the beginning of the day, for those who are new to the Juniata or otherwise interested, I'll put out a brief discussion of some of the hotspots on the river and for those interested in muskies I'll suggest where to look for them if you're floating or wading. I'll definitely spend some time targeting muskies with my 10WT on this trip and if we're lucky and the fishing gods are smiling on us there's a good chance one of us that day will have a run in with Mr Muskie, even if it's just a follow or missed strike.

Back