Newbie Jam?

krayfish

krayfish

Anything started on this yet? I'm in...Josh wants to help again....the nephew wants to come along. Where ya at Ed?

I heard the newbie jam is going to be held on a brookie stream. You may want to reconsider.

OK Andy - you're scaring me.

I JUST got off the phone making the arrangements with the Wildlands Conservancy and my sidekick, da Fox.

It'll be on March 15th (Saturday).

I'll make the official announcement tomorrow, after I talk to pcray.

I will hang with Kray and do casting again, unless you need me for something else. Depending on date I should be good.

Sounds good, Shane.

I gotta call the Southpaw to see if he can make it too.

We were pretty much locked in to do this on the 15th - I really had no choice. The 22nd is the big TU Spring event, and the 29th is the regional trout opener.

The Wildlands Conservancy is really pumped to host us again. Their Director of Education Programs will be in attendance.

March, correct?

Correct. Saturday, March 15th.

The Southpaw says he should be there too.

It'll be nice for you guys to get breaks to warm up inside.

I've got M-80's if you guys want to hit a brookie stream afterwards. Before you jump on me for that post.... I'll have you know I cast them on a bamboo rod so I'm pretty sure it's legal.

Thanks for the heads up H-A. I'm thinking I may do brookie setups. Rods, leader, knots, flies, tactics, etc.

I'm going to ask Bob if he will do "Finding Brookie Streams", using all his vast map tools and skills.

Already pumped for it!!

I want to try to make it. It might be a couple weeks before I can commit.

H-A

I'll check the calendar and with "She-Who-Keeps-Track-of-What's-Going-On" and will be there to help if I am free. Should be an open date for me.

Dave

Well, HA got ahold of me. Of course I'm in. Sounds like I got "where and when" as my topic.

Wow - This thing is really coming together fast!

Nice to see our past instructors jumping right in - you guys are REALLY the ones that make this event work.

Pat - Honestly, I can't think of a better instructor for your topic than you. You are typically involved with answering the questions on this topic throughout the year on the forum anyway. I'll be sure to invite UFMGuy (Mike Gogal) to attend as well. Meshes nicely with a site sponsor and his products.

Dave - Hope you can make it. Same drill as last year for you.

Volks - You're the tying dude again, as usual. We'll get you some help with this (non psychiatric). ;-)

Cathy - Really wanted to get you involved with this. Your fishing skills and teaching ability are a perfect fit for this event. We'll plug you in to a station as soon as you can commit to attending.

Gotta contact our knot/leader guy yet. He's done such a great job in years past that it'd be unfair to not invite him to instruct.

The only topic not covered so far is entomology/immitations. Hopefully, a past year's instructor will step up to the plate on this.

Anyone looking to help instruct can feel free to jump in - it's always nice to have at least two people instructing at the stations. I'll post the list of stations in the "official" announcement tomorrow for anyone looking to get involved.

H.A.

Just an FYI:

This event is being run by Foxgap239, pcray, and myself. We've worked together on this event in past years, and any of us can answer any questions regarding the event.

Fox - Your topic is already listed as being part of the program. Do as you see fit - recruit help as you want to. Dog can jump in wherever he wants to as well. Hopefully, he'll man the cookie station. ;-)

Ed Im beginning to think your using me for my wife's cookies ;-). I can either tag team with George or JT or do whatever you need me to do.

So where will this take place? I may be able to help out if you need more people. I have been FF for over 42 yrs.

GenCon

Hi GenCon - Please see the announcement of this event in the post in this forum.

Directions to both the Wildlands Conservancy's Pool Wildlife Sanctuary, and the special regs section of the Little Lehigh where we'll be doing the on-stream portion are listed.

It'd be great if you would like to instruct! Right now, there is no one that volunteered to do the entomology/immitation part of the presentations.

This is easier than it sounds. I have laminated pictures of the major food sources that trout have available to them, and all you'd need to add is the flies you use to immitate them. Of course, explaining them and their behaviors/characteristics/etc is up to you, but it should be a piece of cake for you to do.

You could also jump in on any of the other stations as well. We'd like to see at least two instructors at each station, so just pick something and you're in.

Welcome aboard!

H.A.

Almost forgot - all of the intructors are encouraged to bring your fishing gear to help with the on-stream instruction in the afternoon.

Ideally, it'd be great if we could assign as small a group of students to each instructor as possible - it'll allow more one-on-one instruction, and keep things more manageable.

This could even be as simple as a small group just watching you fish, and explaining what you're doing as you do so. If the newbies have their own gear/license, you may wind up helping them fish.

Lots of newbies have caught their first fish during these types of events, so bring a camera if you have one!

Back