Mini-jam Fall 2010, NE Pennsylvania and Catskills.

• Thread starter sight_nymph_17109
  • Start date
sight_nymph_17109

sight_nymph_17109

The details are still a little fuzzy but the tentative dates are Fri-Sun September 17,18,19 or Fri-Sun September 24,25,26. I was going to wait until August 1st to put the dates "in stone". I may head up a day early if anyone wants to join me.

I'm trying to work out a deal with the management of a motel in Hancock, NY. Depending on the response from the forum, we may be able to fill the entire place up for him. If we can, I'll lobby for a discounted rate. The rooms have 2 beds and can accommodate a roll-a-way if you will have 3 or more guys in one room. There are also other places < 15 minutes away. For those requiring more than just a motel, there is The Hancock House, Delaware River Club, and West Branch Angler. FYI, they will charge 2x or more than what the motel charges.

Some of the fly shops close around Labor Day. I'll confirm with the shops who will be open and what hours they will offer. There are 2 fly shops in Hancock and 2 on the WB of the Delaware.

This location will offer just about every type of fishing you could imagine. You could fish for wild brookies in a tiny trickle of a stream and float the Delaware River in a drift boat the following day. This location will offer the opportunity for wade fisherman, drift boats, pontoon, kayaks or canoes. The WB Angler does rent Hyde drift boats and provides drop off/pick up of the boat.

The WB and EB flow into the town of Hancock to form the Main Stem. You will have aprox 15 miles of tailwater on the WB to your west and aprox 12 miles of the Lower EB to your East. From Hancock, RT 17 E will take you toward the Lower EB, Upper EB and Beaverkill (Roscoe, NY). Basically, < 20 minutes drive will give you about 30 miles of tailwaters to fish as well as 12 miles of water on the Main Stem and 12 miles on Lower EB. If you drive 25-30 minutes, you'll have 20 miles or so of the Beaverkill and Willowemoc to fish (freestoners). If you want to do some serious nymphing or look for early spawners running out of the lakes, you can fish above the lakes or head to the famous Esopus in less than an 70-80 minutes. All around the area are beaver ponds and small native trout streams. I'll have to do more looking into brookie fishing so that I can provide you the correct info.

Fishing in PA, the WB from the gamelands to Hancock or the Main Stem will require a PA license. If you'd like to hit the Beaverkill, Willowemoc, East Branch, a NY license is needed.

The Upper EB offers 15-17 miles of tailwater that resembles a chalk stream. Low gradient, flats and crystal clear water makes taking fish on this river a real challenge. IMO, it holds some of the biggest fish in the area but you will work very hard for anything you catch on this river. MANY will leave this river skunked.

The Beaverkill and Lower EB are very similar in water type. Mixture of pools, runs, riffs and tail-outs. If you want to mix up weighted nymphing and do some dry fly fishing, these will offer you all types of water to fish. How these rivers fish will depend on how brutal the temps get over the summer. It's been documented that some fish in the river system have moved upstream 15-20 miles during the summer in search of cooler temps.

The WB and Main Stem will all depend on flows. I could tell you that the WB and Main are very placid water w/ mile long pools and only a few riffles. That may be true at 750-1500 cfs but it changes character at 1500-3000 cfs. The WB is the main supplier of cold water and it's hard to say if they'll be draining the lake for winter or have it shut off to a trickle.

If you are interested, I'll start to compile a list of possible participants. Once closer to the date, I'll post the phone numbers of the motels and you will be responsible for making your room reservations.

Thanks,
Andy

I am in. The earlier weekend may not work, but I am not sure yet.

I'll have a pontoon.

In the event of abnormally hot weather or flooding rains, we may golf one afternoon. There are 7-8 courses less than 60 minutes drive. They range from a basic 9 holer to a true championship course that is over 7000 yards from the white tees.

In the evenings, we will host beer drinking, fishing stories and a 0.25 - 0.50 poker game.

Jay has stayed at the motel I'm mentioning and believe the accomidations were acceptable.

i'm gonna do my best to make this as well. crossing fingers....

Sounds like a great time - been over 20 years since I've fished the Catskills.

I'm in.... :-D

Sight did an excellent job describing the fishing opportunities in the area. The flow/temp/clarity thing on D is impossible to predict, but as SN said, there are plenty of fishing possibilities (great ones too) close by if you remain flexible.

Unfortunately, NY fishing licenses run thru Sept 30th, so if you would like to explore the Upper WB, EB, BK or Willow, buying a season non-resident license for $70 and using it another time is not a option. There are NR licenses available for $15/day or $35/ week which may work.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html

Hell, if you get tired of catching those skinny-assed trout up there, I know where we can find some great SMB fishing not far away.

Thanks Sight, for stepping up and getting this thing going. BTW buddy, anyone that buys a Sage TCX 4wt to fish up there is a real hardcore D man....... ;-)

I look forward to the trip.

Count me in too.
BTW,Andy.That description(positives and potential negatives) of the trip is outstanding!!!!
Tom C

The hotel was great. One of the best places I've stayed for the money.

I severely doubt I'm in. I'd love to go, but I won't be able to take vacation in that time frame, and its a bit far for a 2 day weekend...

I'm in. It's been a few years since I was up that way, but I had fun.

Afishanado hit a point that I'd missed completely.... if you like smallmouth fishing, there's plenty in the Delaware. If you spin with plugs, don't be surprised if you catch bass, trout, walleye and even a stripper. Rumor was that a 40" striped bass was taken in the junction pool not too many years ago. If you have a canoe and are a good minnow fisherman, you will probably outfish everyone else.

NY does have that goofy date of September 30 for licenses to expire. This is a good way to see if you like fishing that area AND if you go for the salmon/steelhead run.... you'd probably be better off getting a season non-resident for 2010-2011.

The lakes that feed the WB and EB have some really big fish in them. Motors aren't permitted on the lakes and spin fishers could take a trophy of a lifetime. One of the guys I fish Beaverkill with uses a canoe and minnows on the lakes. He's got photos from last year.... 30 browns over 10 pounds..... plus some nice bows, smallies and walleyes.

Just so everyone understands... there are hatches that time of year. Not the intensity you'd see in the spring but still plenty of bugs on or around the water. Late season will call for BWO in 16-22. You'd be amazed at the size of some of the risers feeding on those little flies. ISO's in a 10-12 size. Caddis, caddis and caddis is the other hatches. You may see anything from a #22 tan micro-caddis to a #8 October caddis. Depends what weather mother nature hands us and if you're on the river early or late. You can not have too many caddis patterns for that region. The other factor is how much is being released from the lakes and there's no way to predict it.

I'm going up this weekend in hopes of hitting the big olive (cornuta) and brown drake hatches. The water is quite low and I haven't had a good season so far.... hope to turn things around beginning Friday eve. Maybe I'll be able to post a fishing report of something other than..."High Winds Again / Impossible fishing conditions". The forecast makes me think I'll have to avoid lightning this time up as well as the regular black bear encounter.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Afishanado hit a point that I'd missed completely.... if you like smallmouth fishing, there's plenty in the Delaware. [color=CC0000]If you spin with plugs[/color], don't be surprised if you catch bass, trout, walleye and even a stripper. Rumor was that a 40" striped bass was taken in the junction pool not too many years ago. If you have a canoe and are a [color=CC0033]good minnow fisherman[/color], you will probably outfish everyone else.

NY does have that goofy date of September 30 for licenses to expire. This is a good way to see if you like fishing that area AND if you go for the salmon/steelhead run.... you'd probably be better off getting a season non-resident for 2010-2011.

The lakes that feed the WB and EB have some really big fish in them. Motors aren't permitted on the lakes and spin fishers could take a trophy of a lifetime. One of the guys I fish Beaverkill with uses a canoe and minnows on the lakes. He's got photos from last year.... 30 browns over 10 pounds..... plus some nice bows, smallies and walleyes.

Just so everyone understands... there are hatches that time of year. Not the intensity you'd see in the spring but still plenty of bugs on or around the water. Late season will call for BWO in 16-22. You'd be amazed at the size of some of the risers feeding on those little flies. ISO's in a 10-12 size. Caddis, caddis and caddis is the other hatches. You may see anything from a #22 tan micro-caddis to a #8 October caddis. Depends what weather mother nature hands us and if you're on the river early or late. You can not have too many caddis patterns for that region. The other factor is how much is being released from the lakes and there's no way to predict it.

I'm going up this weekend in hopes of hitting the big olive (cornuta) and brown drake hatches. The water is quite low and I haven't had a good season so far.... hope to turn things around beginning Friday eve. Maybe I'll be able to post a fishing report of something other than..."High Winds Again / Impossible fishing conditions". The forecast makes me think I'll have to avoid lightning this time up as well as the regular black bear encounter.

Spinning......plugs......MINNOWS!.......OMG :-o

OMG? Wasn't there a recent thread on the right of spin fisherman to have access to water? I never want to come across as the stereotypical snobby elitist type of fly fisherman. I haven't kept a fish of any type in 25 yrs. I don't even eat things that swim so it's not appealing to me. I also don't agree with wild fish being kept but anglers have the right to harvest and I won't hold that against anyone.

I own a spinning rod but would guess that the line is dry rotted since it hasn't been used in 8+ yrs. I threw that out there in the event that some guys wanted to fly fish but also would like to catch other stuff (bass/walleye, etc). Unless you've got some really heavy fly line with an anchor tied to it, spin fishing is what would have to be done in the lakes if anyone wants to go that route.

15 yrs ago, I watched a minnow fisherman go through a pool on the WB that was filled with us 'fly flingers'. Fly fisherman 0, minnow guy 8 (all fish were in the 18-22" range). He released all of them too. "Thank you kind bait fisherman". Took my dad up the next week since he stank at fly fishing and put a minnow on for him. 2 days later his fish count was still 0. I guess there's an art to it just like anything else.

Andy,

I'm pretty sure Tom was 100% joking.

Pulling my leg? OK. Didn't know that. I was just in the back office catching twice my limit of sweedish fish. I guess that I do eat fish after all. :)

Sight_nymph......You look like a nice guy from your avatar.....just funning you Dude ;-)

A fellow malaco fan? I'll bring a 5 lb box on this trip!

My regular fishing partner brings the following every trip to the Catskills:

5 lb ham
Potato rolls
Pickles
Various cheeses
Peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets
Case of sweedish fish
Case of gatorade
12 pack of water
12 pack of beer
Deer balogna
Jerky
Toastchee crackers
Granola bars
Bag of apples

All of that stuff for a 3 day trip!!

We usually set up a crockpot before heading out to fish. When we come back, hot chicken rice soup / roast / beef stew / etc.

I just spoke with the motel manager. There was a bit of a worry that there may have been a schedule conflict with the 16th annual, 2010 "harvest festival". It appears that they will hold their gathering in early Oct. BTW, I did find out that the harvest fest is a gathering of 'like minded' individuals for the purpose of hanging out, music and pot. Yes.... pot. Patchouli oil will not be required by any attending the fall mini-jam. I guess if I was planning to go back in early Oct, those plans just went "up in smoke". Hardy har har.

Two weeks vacation. Late sept through early Oct. Check. :lol:

If you brought that kind of food supply to the harvest fest, you'd be treated like a king.

Back