Catskill JAM 2011, August 12-14, 2011

krayfish

krayfish

After poor fishing conditions last year, I'm testing the waters to see if there's any interest in putting together a JAM for 2011.

I'd like some feedback regarding the time of year for the trip. For the last 2 years, the lake turned over early or there was silt being pulled off of the bottom of the lake. Both caused the river to go off color.

I was thinking of shooting for a late August / early September window or October 7,8,9.

If it's an abnormally warm/dry summer, the early date may limit fishing opportunities due to water temps.

Anyone interested in participating, please provide your feedback of the dates selected. Thanks.

I'm in long as i don't have a conflict.

Which dates are better? I'll leave that to those with more experience with the Big D.

FWIW - i still had a blast last year.

On second thought, I can't do early october. That's trib season for me, and I'll probably be chasing salmon and steelhead.

Any time after the first week of august is good for me.

Just an FYI, made two phone calls and it looks like I'd be leaning toward early October so that the water temps are good in the other sections of river. It would keep the group from being confined to the WB or the upper mile of the D due to water temps being too warm. I'll keep an eye on this new flow agreement and see if it helps out with temps further down river.

I was worried about conflicts with bow hunters and forgot all about the lake run slobs. I'll probably pass on trib fishing this year anyhow.

Ahhh - yes - i may be doing the salmon thing then as well.

Like i said "if i don't have any conflicts"....

Ya I'll be lifting errrrr snagging errrrr flossing ummmmm catching (?) rotten salmon, otherwise you know i'm in

Count me in.

I'm pretty sure I'd give it a shot again. Early October is OK and I'm at least as avid a bowhunter as a f-fisher. Now late October, that's another story. Count me in as well.

Please read below information and PM me to let me know if you’ll be attending. Since it is such a small town environment up there, I’d like to give the motel owner and local diner a quick heads up if there’s going to be a group of 15+ people making the trip.

Due to feedback and conflicts with mud shark fishing, the ‘mini-jam’ 3 day weekend will be August 12, 13 and 14 or August 19, 20 and 21. I should be up and fishing on Thursday if anyone would care to join me. If you want to join us for 1, 2 or all 4 days…. come on along! If you are unable to make the August trip, I’ll be heading back up in early October. PM me if you can fish then.

Things you should bring:
8 ½’ or longer fly rods in 4-6 weight
Waders with studded felts or studded rubber soles
Rain Jacket
Net
Wading staff (for some)
Sweatshirt
Camera
Sulphurs, ISO’s, Caddis, Olives, nymphs, streamers
Patience and sense of humor
Also….
Feel free to bring a canoe, kayak, drift boat or pontoon boat if you have one. There’s plenty of parking at the motel and I’m sure you’ll be able to find a group of guys to float with. Several area shops or locations also rent canoes, kayaks or drift boats. If you are bringing a boat, please remember to bring your oars. I’m not towing anyone this year.

*** The Catskill Fly Fishing Museum is 30 minutes away. Let me know if this is something that would interest you.

*** You may follow your GPS which takes 15-30 minutes longer or I can PM detailed driving directions for you.

I will be operating out of the Capra in Hancock. It’s walking distance to the store and McD’s. I’ve checked with the office and both weekends in question are open for our group. Sorry but we won’t be hitting the “Harvestfest” weekend this year.

Area Lodging:
Capra Motel
The Hancock House
The Delaware River Club
West Branch Angler
Smith’s Colonial Motel
East Branch Motel
Timberline Motel
Deposit Motel
The Baxter House

Area Fly Shops:

Border Water Outfitters
The Delaware River Club
West Branch Angler

Catskill Flies
The Beaverkill Angler
The Baxter House

Area Brown and Rainbow Trout Waters:
12 miles – Delaware River main stem
17 miles - West Branch of the Delaware River
17 miles - Upper East Branch of Delaware River
12 miles – Lower East Branch of Delaware River
15 miles – Beaverkill River
7 miles – Willowemoc River

Too many area wild brook trout streams to mention.

Fishing this late in the season will likely cancel out fishing the lower East Branch and much of the Main Stem due to water temps. The insect activity is slower or more spotty than in the spring but still should rival or surpass what is seen by most anglers when fishing in PA. This trip will give you an opportunity to take wild browns and rainbows between 16-22”. At that time of the year all methods will be effective (dry, nymph, streamer). Die hard fisherman will have the chance of a fish in the 24-30” range during low/no light periods on streamers or stimulator dries.

If you haven’t been to that area in a while, it’s time you got back there again. If you’ve never been there but are curious to see what all the chat is about or if you’d like to experiment on new waters, please join us. I’m not discouraging ‘newbies’ from coming but the fishing is fairly tough / technical. If you’re a beginner, we’ll find a way to get you catching fish but don’t be disappointed if you are less successful than on your local waters.

Fishing during the day, grill out, swap fishing stories and a little beer on the motel porch in the evenings. I will also be setting up a boot wash station for cleaning your waders after fishing.

I'd be interested. August maybe? Pretty much any time between July 31 and Sept 5. So like I said, August....

I think I might be able to make one of these weekends. I call your other pontoon if it's available! Will be looking for someone to stay with me. RowJimmy? Jdaddy? Wsender? Gfen? Ok, that last one was a joke...........

Aren't you supposed to be leading people down the lehigh or something?

Nope, I have to go to work right now.

LRSABecker wrote:
Nope, I have to go to work right now.

You appear to be working quite hard as we speak. You could've gotten people started this morning.

You're a bad organizer. HA would've been there two hours early with doughnuts, coffee, and a smile.

Also this will be a great time to fish Lordville south on the Main steam for smallmouth.....anybody with half a clue could land 20 to 30 bass a day with a few in the 14-17 inch range.

Hancock is full hot chicks as well.......and as I've been told the more time you spend there the prettier they get.

You guys can start pairing up for rooms if you'd like. I have 1 spare pontoon for sure. LRSA called it first so he gets the first EPIC FLOAT. Start working out now! You do have to give someone else a shot at using it too. Rental boats available at Borderwater. The river should be pretty low and boats may not be needed at that time.

Jimmy is right, good smallie fishing on the main stem if you want to have a go at them. With any luck, Jimmy will join us and row.

RowJimmy wrote:
Hancock is full hot chicks as well.......and as I've been told the more time you spend there the prettier they get.

It's called Hancock Hot. Very strange scale imo.

krayfish wrote:
Please read below information and PM me to let me know if you’ll be attending. Since it is such a small town environment up there, I’d like to give the motel owner and local diner a quick heads up if there’s going to be a group of 15+ people making the trip.

Due to feedback and conflicts with mud shark fishing, the ‘mini-jam’ 3 day weekend will be August 12, 13 and 14 or August 19, 20 and 21. I should be up and fishing on Thursday if anyone would care to join me. If you want to join us for 1, 2 or all 4 days…. come on along! If you are unable to make the August trip, I’ll be heading back up in early October. PM me if you can fish then.

Things you should bring:
8 ½’ or longer fly rods in 4-6 weight
Waders with studded felts or studded rubber soles
Rain Jacket
Net
Wading staff (for some)
Sweatshirt
Camera
Sulphurs, ISO’s, Caddis, Olives, nymphs, streamers
Patience and sense of humor
Also….
Feel free to bring a canoe, kayak, drift boat or pontoon boat if you have one. There’s plenty of parking at the motel and I’m sure you’ll be able to find a group of guys to float with. Several area shops or locations also rent canoes, kayaks or drift boats. If you are bringing a boat, please remember to bring your oars. I’m not towing anyone this year.

*** The Catskill Fly Fishing Museum is 30 minutes away. Let me know if this is something that would interest you.

*** You may follow your GPS which takes 15-30 minutes longer or I can PM detailed driving directions for you.

I will be operating out of the Capra in Hancock. It’s walking distance to the store and McD’s. I’ve checked with the office and both weekends in question are open for our group. Sorry but we won’t be hitting the “Harvestfest” weekend this year.

Area Lodging:
Capra Motel
The Hancock House
The Delaware River Club
West Branch Angler
Smith’s Colonial Motel
East Branch Motel
Timberline Motel
Deposit Motel
The Baxter House

Area Fly Shops:

Border Water Outfitters
The Delaware River Club
West Branch Angler

Catskill Flies
The Beaverkill Angler
The Baxter House

Area Brown and Rainbow Trout Waters:
12 miles – Delaware River main stem
17 miles - West Branch of the Delaware River
17 miles - Upper East Branch of Delaware River
12 miles – Lower East Branch of Delaware River
15 miles – Beaverkill River
7 miles – Willowemoc River

Too many area wild brook trout streams to mention.

Fishing this late in the season will likely cancel out fishing the lower East Branch and much of the Main Stem due to water temps. The insect activity is slower or more spotty than in the spring but still should rival or surpass what is seen by most anglers when fishing in PA. This trip will give you an opportunity to take wild browns and rainbows between 16-22”. At that time of the year all methods will be effective (dry, nymph, streamer). Die hard fisherman will have the chance of a fish in the 24-30” range during low/no light periods on streamers or stimulator dries.

If you haven’t been to that area in a while, it’s time you got back there again. If you’ve never been there but are curious to see what all the chat is about or if you’d like to experiment on new waters, please join us. I’m not discouraging ‘newbies’ from coming but the fishing is fairly tough / technical. If you’re a beginner, we’ll find a way to get you catching fish but don’t be disappointed if you are less successful than on your local waters.

Fishing during the day, grill out, swap fishing stories and a little beer on the motel porch in the evenings. I will also be setting up a boot wash station for cleaning your waders after fishing.

tl;dr

????

Krayfish wrote:
....the ‘mini-jam’ 3 day weekend will be August 12, 13 and 14 or August 19, 20 and 21

I'm interested. Which weekend? August 12th-14th may work best for me.

Back