Bass N' Bourbon Weekend

J

jjsjigs

July 22, 23, 24, and 25, 2011

2011 Bass & Bourbon Weekend at "JJ's Jigs HQ Bunker". An annual event for anglers all over good 'ol Pee-Aye and NY. We have been doing this for 3 years. It started with a cadre of 5 members of the Dirtbag Flyfishing Posse. This year it will be held from Friday July 22 to Monday July 25. Come one day, come all days!!! Come on up to "gasland" central. More frac trucks than you can shake a stick.. or rod at!!

It has now morphed into a large ugly animal!!! All are welcome. We fish the NB Suskie in Bradford County (or if flows are too high or muddy to wade fish) we hit a few bassy warmwater creeks. Yes, we fish all 4 days!! I normally list a tentative schedule of where and when we will be fishing so if you can't make it to the "Bunker" for the morning muster roll call... you can meet us on the stream.

Flyrod NOT necessary... spin/bait anglers are welcome!

We grill 'dogs and burgers, drink beer, and of course sample various brands of bourbon. Last year we had 8 different brands to sample and critique. Usually this grill and sample fest takes place on the evening that most attendees show up. (usually Saturday night). We will be showcasing some lively spirits from Finger Lakes Distillery this year. A rye, a bourbon, and some super secret "Granpappy's Corn Squeezin's". Leave yer keys at the door. That stuff is POTENT!

We dry fly fish the white miller hatch in the evenings as well if it's coming on heavy.... last years start of the hatch was sparse.

So if anyone is around the Towanda area during our B&B weekend... YOU ARE ALL WELCOME! PM me for directions and details. One may crash at my place "the bunker" Plenty of yard to pitch a tent.. (no fishing in my goldfish pond though!!) Plenty of floor space and beds if you wish to crash indoors.

(If you have a pet allergy... I do have a yellow lab dog and a short haired housecat)

I just need to know if your coming so I can buy enough meat for the grill. (We always have plenty of booze.... ALWAYS!)

So grab yer flyrod and a handfull of bassy streamer flies and come on up to the 2011 Bass & Bourbon weekend. It's always a good time.

Sounds like fun. Let's hope for a good bassin summer.

Amen! The NB Suskie is just starting to look good for wading... give it about another 5 days and it should be perfect. I can't wait... it's been so muddy and high for months.

The pre-spawn bass in the tribs have been excellent this year. I believe the YOY class will be stellar. Thank god the Suskie up here is healthy and productive!

Way too far for rough fish, for my taste, but it sounds like my kind of long weekend as far as the samplings are concerned. Grandpa's Corn Squeezins' nothwithstanding, it would be the craziest thing I'd ever done-- driving that far to taste some bourbonish moonshine.

obviously you have never experienced the complete awesomeness of the NB Suskie? The bass, pike, and muskie are EPIC up here. 57 bass yesterday ALL on topwater dries!! STELLAR!!

I couldn't even count that high.

can you do 21 if you wade barefoot?

barefoot? jeez... a lot of broken glass in that river. Not to mention you probably would contract Hep C.

JJJ need a report.........here's a pic I found from you B&B weekend .... ;-)

Attachments

• Jack missed out.jpg
    Jack missed out.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 7
Sure. OMG where did you find that pic? I was soooo wrecked that night!

I have pics to go with this report... if anyone is interested. Usually not many read what I have to say... to instead of wasting my time posting pics... oh, what the hell... no order here just random pics from my dig cam

558305602_photobucket_25417_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_23208_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_29083_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_23217_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_29084_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30460_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_29437_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30456_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30455_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30463_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30464_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30466_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30467_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_30468_.jpg
558305602_photobucket_30470_.jpg
558305602_photobucket_33057_.jpg

Day 1 Friday: We fished the Suskie for the sparse white fly hatch. We picked up about 10 fish between 3 of us on dries. Smoked a nice cigar and drank beer.

Day 2: Hit the Wyalusing and fished about 3 miles of it. We saw every warmwater species... except a muskie. Chubs, pike, 'eyes, quillback, carp, fall fish, sunnies, 'gills, LM and SM bass. We all got into lots of fish... the action peaked and waned throughout the day but I would say we all scored at least 15 each. Some caught 15 in a single hole!

Then we drank... oh so much bourbon. I promptly passed out after 12 glasses full. I tasted each bourbon and went back to re-taste my favorites again!

Day 3: Fished the Chemung at the PA/NY border. A little slow in the afternoon since it hit 98F out. We ended up going to a trib of the Suskie and found a thermal refuge that had about 60 bass in a 100 yard stretch. We hammered 'em for 3 hours.

Day 4: Hit the Towanda Creek at 0-dark-thirty. Smashed smallies with caddis dries until the sun got too hot around 1100.

Some hard core fishin! Looks like yuh had a great time and thanks for the pics. I still haven't had a great year for bassin but water levels are sure better than last year. Great to see some folks out hitting the big (and not so big) rivers.

Back