winding springs \ Dallas TX area

daman1277

daman1277

Heading down there in April to visit some family but my wife told me to bring the fly rod for bass. Have 2 8wts and a 10wt. Any suggestions on where to fish and for what species and what flies to bring?

I've not fished that part of TX but, if it were me, I'd take an 8 and a 10 but would likely fish mostly with the 8WT. April is a good time to bass fish. Expect to fish around a lot of shoreline woody cover on reservoirs. I like big, bright colored streamer flies that push a lot of water and have a weed guard. A floating line would be fine for springtime fishing. Stick with heavy leaders, I'd recommend tippets of 14-16lb test. Some large poppers would be good too. Finally, have some panfish flies as well. Crappies ought to be active in particular. Some of the waters in that area have striped bass too.

Broken Bow OK is 3 hours from Dallas if you're looking for trout. I was pleasantly surprised when I fished the Lower Mountain Fork River a few years ago. It was a 4 hour drive from OKC. I left early and returned late but caught lots of trout. Wild bows in some sections and some stocked pigs below the spillway. I found it somewhat crowded on the weekend. Who knew there were that many fly fishers in Oklahoma.

Back