baby bird fly?

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

While driving up north for the trout opener i had been thinking of crazy flies. I have been fishing at Glendale Lake for a long time and notice a lot of Barn Swallow by the breast of the dam. A lot of birds nest along bridges and the tower on this lake. I was wonder what you warm water guys would think of making a baby bird fly to catch you toothy critters.

I imagine many of these baby birds fall from the nest and flop on the top water only to be smashed by pike, musky, or walleye. Maybe i am wrong but thought i would share the thought. A google search revealed some lures that have been made to mimic this so why not try a fly.

I think anything thrashing around on top of the water is going to get the attention of a toothy critter. I have seen several fly patterns that imitate ducklings. Musky and pike often eat things on top like big frogs, ducklings, mice, even muskrat.

Mike Williams ties a cool duckling fly

Somerset-19.jpg

That is a cool fly. I have seen some duckling patterns but that one is the nicest I have seen. Very realistic.

Thats wild.

Now that's a fly you don't see everyday.

Pat Cohens baby bird fly is the best I seen.
SANY0048.JPG

what an awesome fly!

Gotta love Pat Cohen's work!

Some damn fine fly tying there. I think anything splashing around on top water would work. Night time would probably be the best bet.

Topwater can work anytime had a musky take topwater last sun @ 2 in the afternoon (bright sunny day to boot). And seen another 5 mins after. Musky on the fly is tuff, topwater takes it to a whole other level!

Yea it will work anytime, but through my experience surface fishing peaks in the late night hours. Of course time of year and water temps would also play a role in that. It's not full proof just a theory i have formed in the many years of warm water fly fishing i have done.

It really happens..I also sometimes think that many of these baby birds fall from the nest and flop on the top water only to be smashed by pike, musky, or walleye..

This was completely unintentional, but I tied up an Optic Minnow style fly with lots of yellow and chartreuse material, including a couple barred marabou feathers. When i would cast it the water would shed and it would float on the surface and I would have to yank on the line to get it back under water. After two or three times of this I noticed how much it resembled a baby duck.

So I spent the next 20 minutes slowly retrieving it on top. No luck though, but it looked good enough I may have to add a couple pieces of leather to mimic feet and try again.

Back