adding weight to pike flies.

S

somersetian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE29rZmqnH0

Anyone know where to buy these beads and cones? I do not believe they are just the same as you would get from a tying shop. I left a comment on the video but the video is old and these guys are from Slovenia so I don't know if they can help. Their videos are pretty cool though.

I use plain old spin gear, cone style slip sinkers to weight my big streamers. You can get them at any outdoor store in the lead weight section. I use 1/16 and 1/32 sizes mainly.

Try doing a search for them on the net. They are cone weights or bullet weights. eBay might have them. I'm sure they got them at cabelas or a sporting good store.

I searched them as bullet weights fly fishing and they popped up. Haven't found bead weights like the guy in the video was using. If regular conehead weights for spinning gear work Ill use gthem though. Sure I can just make the 20 minute trip to wally world and pick up some of them.

Now that I watched it again. All he's using is cone heads for fly tying or beads for bead head flies. Try looking at something like these I guess.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/fly-tying-beads-eyes-cones?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%7BOrderItemID%7D&utm_campaign=BingAds

Euro company, but here are those large brass coneheads.

http://www.adh-fishing.com/fly-tying/tube-systems/adh-fishing-tube-system/brass-pike-tube-coneheads-for-bauer-flies?group%5B48%5D=&group%5B32%5D=2019

You guys think they are worth the money or just use regular spinning weights? This is only my second year going full tilt on lakes and warm water species. I'm going to be concentrating all my efforts to pike in the coming weekends and evenings. Water temp at the quemahoning dam was already 39 degrees on sat.

Bullet weights for Texas and Carolina rigging woukd work fine, no doubt. 39 degrees all ready huh? Not surprising with weather like we're having right now. My pike trip is planned for March 10, 11, and 12 on Presque Isle. I hope a bunch are lurking in the shallow weedy shorelines.

somersetian wrote:
You guys think they are worth the money or just use regular spinning weights? This is only my second year going full tilt on lakes and warm water species. I'm going to be concentrating all my efforts to pike in the coming weekends and evenings. Water temp at the quemahoning dam was already 39 degrees on sat.

That's up to you. If you think it's worth a shot. Bullet should work. You can maybe find yourself some cheap ones to try.

Solitariolupo wrote:
somersetian wrote:

That's up to you. If you think it's worth a shot. Bullet should work. You can maybe find yourself some cheap ones to try.

One thing to keep in mind is that the small, bullet slip sinkers that I use have fairly narrow holes through them. #30lb test line will fit through, but if you plan to thread these sinkers on to wire leaders by pushing the loop through the weight as shown in the video...the holes may be too small. Personally, I don't thread the wights onto the leader as shown, but rather tie these weights in to the actual fly using a mono loop.

Sorry, didn't mean to complicate things, just be aware of the small diameter of the holes in slip sinkers.

Are you saying that you cut the wire, put the weight on the wire then tie the fly back on using a mono loop not, which would work I suppose. Or that you tie a loop of mono to the actual fly itself for the weight to be attached too. Just trying to learn some tips from people who have been fly fishing with big pike flies more than I have. I'm a newbie to everything except Trout and small mouth in streams.

I could drill bigger holes down the bullet wights too I guess.

somersetian wrote:
Or that you tie a loop of mono to the actual fly itself for the weight to be attached too.

This.
The weight is integrated into the fly during the trying process. It's commonly called a keel system and is pretty much all I use for large streamers now.

Yes, you could bore out the weights with a drill, but the ones I use are so small that this would be difficult and probably more trouble than it's worth if you can find a substitute with larger holes, even if they cost more.

If the hole won't slip over the barrel swivel on a wire leader. Here's a suggestion cut the barrel swivel off then tie straight to the line, lose the wire leader completely go with a heavier line, or buy probably a cone head that will fit over the swivel. I tie my own so when I do this I add enough weight to the fly and if I want it to rattle, just add it in. So those suggestions might be something you want to try out. Maybe not the best in some situations but heck might be worth a shot.

I got some berkley nylon coated 7 strand wire. While I was in Gander mountain I tied a perfection loop in one end of the wire that was sticking out of the roll and it seemed to tie alright. I tied about 12'' of wire leader to 5 of my favorite pike flies with a non slip mono loop and put a perfection loop on the other end. I put heat shrink I had over the knots to keep weeds out of my leader. I figure if I wanted to add weight I can probably cut the wire leader and retie the mono loop at least twice before replacing it. I cant find anything more than 20 lb fluorocarbon anywhere near somerset. Even gander only had up to 20 lb fluorocarbon. You would think with all the hunting and fishing opportunities around here there would be a decent tackle store.

Ok I wont drag this thread out anymore but I think I solved all my problems. My uncles friend said you can simply twist nylon coated wire and melt the nylon together to form a knotless loop. I didnt think this would hold but i made a loop like this big enough to fit over the ball pn my hitch, I wrapped the other end around a wrench and gave it a tug test and while i didny break a sweat i pull harder than any fish im going tp catch and it stood up. So now i used this method to form the loop at the leader end of the wire attached to my pike flies. Now regular store bought bullet weights will slide on and off easily. Thanks for all the help and hopefully i can see how they cast tom afternoon.

Back