Warm Water Action

D

dubthethorax

Anyone else been out chasing the panfish and bass? I've been going out from 10pm-12am every night to fish for rising stockies and have been pretty successful, but the last two nights have been a blast with rock bass slurping hoppers off the surface. Nothing huge, but still fun.

I stopped at a local pond yesterday and caught about 20 bluegills in half an hour on mini-hoppers, some nice slabs too. Saw some LMB swimming around as well, but all I had on me was my terrestrial box and the werent having it.

Ahh....spring is here.

2nd day in a row that I got the skunk on my local river. Huh. Very unusual for WW for me.

Picked up some small bass and 'gills on my usual local WW haunt.
Got some nice picks at Towhee the other day as well.

Walleye and a handful of crappie so far for me this year. The crappie should really turn on here soon. Haven't fished for bass or gills yet.

what did you use for crappie

sz10 white beadhead buggers with some flash.....they seem to do really well on crappie

Here are a few pics from Tuesday's outing. Second time out in the new toon and loving it. Ended up with well over 200 crappie for the day but only kept 35-40. I also picked up a few bass and perch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 3
I smell a fish fry!!! Congrats Dan, nice day.

I went to my local pond the other day to see if the bass and panfish were getting active. I caught a huge slab of crappie. This was the largest crappie I have ever seen! I got several bass and bluegill too. A lot of fun in a half an hour.

Been tough for me this spring (blasted wind!)

Did manage to get out a couple hours a couple days ago looking for toothy critters and panfish. The wind played havoc with my canoe and casting muskie flies was harrowing. Deciding that I didn't want to start any new feathers and piercing trends...decided to hit some protected bays where I usually expect to find crappies in bushes this time of year. Didn't see or catch a thing. The water was very clear and I could see down into the brush. No crappies or panfish were visible. The lake was also noticeably barren of any early weed growth.

Been a strange spring for WW species, to say the least, and definitely has me scratching my head.

Nice catch Deltadog!

(This thread will be moved to the Warm Water forum)

I've been getting Pickerel at a local lake since the end of Feb. Was out for 20 minutes at a local pond in Lansdale after dropping my kids off on the way to work this morning. Landed about 20 bluegills, and lost a really fat bass, about 5 lbs who wrapped me around some submerged branches. Damn 5x. All on hoppers :)

Went back out again today ended up getting about 75--100. Picked up a few pigs and lost some bigger pigs. All in all a great day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 3
Nice crappie delta dog! those are some big #'s and fat slabs. gotta love springtime panfishin.

This is the big crappie I caught the other day. This is not the best picture (from my phone), the fish's tail is lifted away from the camera making it look shorter than it was.

Attachments

• Slab Crappie.jpg
    Slab Crappie.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 4
The Conestoga is STILL under normal flow for this time of year, despite all the rain.

Thanks DD, you had a nice haul yourself!

I went out to a small local quarry lake today, that I have never fished and took the FF806. Man I had so much fun with the BIG bluegills. I have never caught big ones like that before. A Walts worm was the most successful fly. Cast out and let it sink for a few seconds and then slowly start stripping it back in. Man I wished I had a bucket and a camera. These things were easy 9 or 10 inches long. Would have made a nice fish fry. Gonna have to go back. It was difficult casting, Just a few open spots for a back cast so I was doing some pretty impressive roll casts.

Dude you gotta get me into that action! We should team up and fish together anyway, put the glass hurtin' on them Lancaster Co fish.

Had my first successful WW outing yesterday.... got my first bass, carp, and catfish on the fly and a WHOLE lot of crappie all at Orangeville. No striper or walleye though.... I'll have to keep trying.

Back