Tiger Muskie - An Interesting Fish

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
I'd mentioned awhile back that I was working on a painting of a life size tiger muskie. It's finished.

Tigers are physically interesting and unique. I can spot one very clearly and differentiate them from purbreds (usually). In particular, their side stripes tend to be narrower and closer together than what one typically sees on purebreds. Also, those stripes tend to have a slightly angled position with the lower end of the stripe tilted a bit toward the front of the fish. It's subtle, but I see it a lot.

The most noticeable characteristic of most tigers are the striking worm track patterns on the gill cover and sides of their face. Most purebreds lack this pattern.

I found these intriguing color patterns to be quite difficult to portray. I had the re-do this fish's flanks more than once to try to capture these patterns and colors. I think it turned out fairly well.

The mat has a shadow box cut-out with a real muskie fly positioned into it.

Tigers are downright cool! Hopefully, we'll hook into some this year.

Attachments

• tg2.JPG
    tg2.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 7
  • tg1.JPG
    tg1.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 3
Beautiful work Dave W... that had to be a time consuming project, and I'm sure quite rewarding now that it is finished. I believe you captured the tiger markings quite well!

I have a love hate relationship with Tigers... the places I have targeted them they tend to be tougher to catch than purebred Muskies. Have landed many pure strain, but only hooked a few tigers and have not landed one yet... hopefully this is the year.

Great work!!!

Beautiful! Love the added fly too!

Back