Suggestions for Jacksonville Florida

slay12345

slay12345

I'll be in Jacksonville Florida for work in April, then tacking a few vacation days for the weekend of the 11th-13th. I'm looking for suggestions on guide services in the Jacksonville area. Would like to use fly gear but open to spinning gear as well. I have minimal experience in saltwater so I'd love to target reds, spotted trout, tarpon or any fish species that is willing to bite for that matter.

I'm just starting my research now so let me know your thoughts on what to target or who to hire.

St Johns River, dude!

http://www.flyfishingjacksonville.com/

I went down several years back. The Salty Feather was like, the only fly shop in town. I guess it closed in 2011. Bummer. Great shop.

Yeah I did a little reading at lunch on the St. Johns River... Would be awesome to target reds and trout on the fly, but I'd be willing to use spin gear if it meant landing the first one for me. Looks like Capt. John Bottko who used to own the Salty Feather guides for Blackfly now.

I'm open to any suggestions on a guide service as I wont be able to take any gear with me.

Although it may not make sense seeing as you will already be around some decent fishing, Mosquito Lagoon is about 2 more hours south on 95. Great fishing and a great host of guides in the area for fly and spin fishing. Just a thought.

Try Rodger Bump. WWW.captainrodgerbump.com.
I haven't fished that area ',but theStJohns River has a lot of reds and trout that run in it. GG

go more south with the colder temps we are having fish will head south and deeper water..

Thanks everyone, will be looking in to all the suggestions.

The salty feather has closed; the fly shop here in JAX is blackfly outfitters:

http://www.blackflyoutfitter.com/

It's across the street from where the old salty feather was, if you're familiar

The guide behind the link Sasquatch mentioned is Rich Santos. He is well known in these parts, and I've heard nothing but good things about him.

You will probably want to schedule your fishing trips around the tides. Around the lower St. Johns and its feeder creeks (all tidally influenced), I usually have the best luck on a falling tide. That time of year you can catch Reds, Speckled trout, Flounder, Jack Crevalle, and a number of other saltwater species.

The dates of 4/11 through 4/13 coincide with the full moon, which typically means higher than usual tides. When we get "flood tides," the water comes up into the grass in the marshes, and reds come into the flooded grass to feed on the fiddlers. Flood tides make for exciting sight fishing, and many local fly-fishers look forward to them, much like the hatches in PA.

When you get closer to your date, send me a PM; I can suggest a few wade spots to check out, and maybe even give you some company :)

Hey Mike - good to hear from you! Glad to see you're still checking PAFF from time to time. :)

When you cross the inter coastal on beach boulevard there is a place on the north side where you can line up a guide.Or you can drive down to Mayport on A1A and find one.Jacksonville beach is the area for good fishing.If you don't mind using spinning gear the blues and spanish should be in the surf big time in april.Gotchac's get them .
also on A1A down in the Mayport area there is a lot of great wade fishing.Also you can find jetty fishing in the Mayport area.

and as good fortune mentioned the tidal creek fishing in the area is really fun.Google it up.Canoes and kayaks work.Some slot reds work up the creeks on high and you can ambush them moving down.If you are into bait fishing-live shrimp will catch anything you would want to catch.and a few you don't.

Yeah I'm glad Mike still pokes around because I sense a trip down to Jacksonville is in order for my family in the next few years.

I'm getting excited the more I think about this. This will be a first time fishing Florida for me. Mike thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted when it gets closer to that time. Shoot me a pm with an effective way to contact you and maybe we can talk in person phone or email.

Fishidiot wrote:
Hey Mike - good to hear from you! Glad to see you're still checking PAFF from time to time. :)

Yep, I still poke around from time to time here. I miss fishing all of my favorite streams in PA (and MD), as well as all my fishing buddies. I get to fish vicariously through you guys when I read your posts :-D

I'm getting excited the more I think about this. This will be a first time fishing Florida for me. Mike thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted when it gets closer to that time. Shoot me a pm with an effective way to contact you and maybe we can talk in person phone or email.

It's not everyday that my hometown gets mentioned on the boards, so it drew my curiosity. Slay, I'll send you a PM with my contact info. I hope you can get on some good fishing while you're here.

Yeah I'm glad Mike still pokes around because I sense a trip down to Jacksonville is in order for my family in the next few years.

Squatch...whenever you're ready, give me a holler.

I was in error with the link to Rich Santos site in my 1st post; here it is below:

http://www.flyfishjax.com/

Check out some of his videos when you get the chance, whether you go with him or not.

P.S. - Pete, are you in the area? Just curious...

Thanks for the updated link Mike.

So, I wanted to give a follow up on my trip to J-ville and thank you all for your input and suggestions... here's the "long version"

I made it down to Jacksonville FL and covered the the business end of the trip quickly, (although it was good, I couldn't get out of business mode fast enough).
My vacation started Friday April 11th around lunch time. I took some time to spend with my wife that day who spent most of my business trip relaxing and reading around the roof top pool at the Hyatt. We walked the Jacksonville landing and ventured downtown to a museum and garden and enjoyed the trolly ride to travel. It was a good time, but now for the good stuff...

I had booked my trip with Captain Rich Santos of First Coast Fly Fishing Unlimited earlier and spoke with him off and on throughout the week about where to meet up, what times would be best to fish and what we would most likely catch. I told him I wanted to try with the fly gear, but wouldn't be opposed to spinning tackle if the conditions weren't quite right.

I have to say I was used to throwing my 7' 3# and 8.5' 5# outfits up here in PA... the 8# and sinking line outfit was a little intimidating to me!

I met up with Captain Rich at 10am at his boat... our goal was to fish a few productive productive areas but start at a hole on Brown's Creek until just before the tide was too low to escape, then sight fish out way around Clapboard Creek looking for reds or trout feeding.

The trip proceeded, everything going as planned. I blind cast to the hole using spinning gear, while Capt. Rich set up the fly outfit. Things were looking good, conditions were as expected and the tide was slowly receding.
Now came the hard part... I got the giant sequoia ~err~ 8# outfit in my hands. WOW! I was not prepared for this. I practiced a few short casts to get the feel of the sinking line, easy enough. Then a couple false casts to get about 20 feet of line out. Here is where I started falling apart... I closed my eyes and took a deep breath and thought back to a discussion I had with Tim Robinson standing on the Orvis floor playing with one of those little practice casting rods... timing, angles, double haul... my cast started coming together. I was consistantly pushing out to around 40ish feet and getting comfortable with the casting. This was almost far enough for this particular hole. Here's where Captain Rich stepped in and offered some suggestions to tweek my casting stroke to flatten/straighten it out. This proved fruitful and I was quickly casting 50+ feet. A quick reposition of the boat allowed me the right angle on my back cast to avoid any push-poles or platforms. Finally getting the distance for a good sink and "drift" that I needed, I was hopeful to hook in to a fish at this hole.

Then it happens... along comes crabby trapper, drifting down stream in his boat before the tide got too low for him to pass... right through our little hole. I dont blame him, he was just trying to get where he was going along a small passage, but that pretty much ensured no catching at this spot. Not for lack of effort, we continued to throw the fly, and a couple different colors and styles of soft baits, but the fish just weren't hungry in this hole.

Time to move on, we traveled up stream to sight fish for reds. Only by this time, the wind had picked up quite a bit, a little too much for me to overcome with the fly rod. So I switched over to a soft plastic on the spinning rig and we started pounding the shallows. I must say, these shallows of only a couple feet deep looked like endless caves in the dark stained waters. We were surprisingly often drafting in just under a foot of water but I couldn't see bottom. I routinely witnessed mullet darting around the front of the boat, jumping clear out of the water and splashing down. Captain Rich pointed out the differences in zig-zag baitfish wakes vs straight line V runs of the red drum wakes darting away. It wasn't long until I was spotting them myself. He pointed out likely spots to cast far in advance of our approach. I keyed in on them, played the wind and fished hard. We reached one of his favorite spots where he said he often sees and catches drum just off a collection of oyster beds. A couple casts to the near side, a couple casts left with no hits... Captain Rich suggested a cast to the right and in between two oyster beds close the the shore, then a slow reel with a certain twitch twitch pause... twitch twitch pause. I executed the cast exactly as directly, twitch twitch pause... twitch PULL!!! I finally felt the weight of a fish on the other end of my light tackle line. Zig left, dart right, this was awesome! Our battle was exciting each gaining a little ground at times. I outlasted this red's fight and was able to bring him to the boat. After a couple quick photos and releasing this schooly sized fish, I was instructed to continue to cast in the area... where theres one there might be two. This was not the case for us though, so we pushed back and trolled over to a small channel between the a small island and the main land. This channel was the deepest water next to a flat known to offer some feeding reds. Captain Rich spotted a couple wakes and tails of reds so we stopped here to fish until dead low tide. Somewhere along here we got distracted by a great conversation about cameras. He was using the Nikon AW1, the waterproof version of a camera I own. I put down my pole and we talked about the capabilities of this camera and I offered a few pointers and techniques that helped me with this type of camera... well a little karma came from this because my very next cast in I had a good bite and about 5 seconds of fight before another red let go of the hook. I searched for him with a few more casts until I believed he would no longer bite. Dang!

At this point in the low tide we decided to cover some water, I would blind cast to decent looking areas as we motored along en route to a couple more oyster beds. One more light bite and one more red let go of the hook. Dang!

Now as we approached the our last likely spot of the day I noticed a particular squawky bird in the distance. At first I thought it was a heron but we'll get to the identity of this bird in a bit... We now approached what would be our last oyster bed to concentrate on. A few casts near the island with no bites, I changed my angle of approach. I was pulling my lure past the island and in to a deep trough near the boat. I was informed this should be the deepest area due to a crab trap bouey placed here. Well somewhere between the island and entering this trough I felt the tug... a little different feel though from the red. This one had a little more head shake. Captain Rich quickly told me to fight this one carefully, it was a spotted trout and they have much softer mouths. Well let me tell you, this boy was like no trout I ever caught before... TEETH! Fangs to be more exact. Once landed, I was able to inspect these vampire like chompers. They were impressive for sure and I was certainly keeping my fingers clear. A quick photo op with the AW1 camera's new settings and he was back in the water. We quickly repositioned the boat to attempt a similar cast... whammo! Another bite! I carefully fought this one to hand and we got another photo. The spots on these fish are amazing, speckled across the flanks from the dorsal fin all the way back to the tail. Very pretty fish, and pretty scary on the front end too. Well, lets try that again... boom! Repeat story! 3 trout landed at this one spot, and one lost on the "last cast" as we readied to head back to the dock.

At this point I noticed that squawking bird, this time with a little more chirp to it. I scanned the nearby tree line and saw not one, not two, but three bald eagles. Two immature and one adult. Awesome sight, they soared through the air making more noise and the two young birds tussled in the sky for a moment then they all landed in the trees. Not a time to come up short on camera focal length. Unable to get any good shots of the eagles we stood by and just watched. Lock that one away in the memory back for AMAZING!

An exciting day for sure. My first saltwater inshore fishing adventure and most certainly not my last. I had a blast fishing and birding with Captain Rich Santos and would highly recommend him if you're down in the Jacksonville area. He was very knowledgable, extremely helpful and an all around great guy to fish with.

Thanks again Rich!

Red drum photo... attempting to add pic...

Attachments

• DSC_1357-2.JPG
    DSC_1357-2.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 2
Toothy trout 1

Attachments

• DSC_1364-2.JPG
    DSC_1364-2.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 5
Toothy trout 2

Attachments

• DSC_1368-2.JPG