Stuff I learned

Fredrick

Fredrick

A couple of things I learned this year for saltwater could be easily used for fresh water so I figured I share them with you . Well most bass taper lines suck compared to salwater tapers/shooting heads for wade fishing for bass I think almost all of the bass lines were designed to be used on boats.Pin point accuarcy is nice but getting close enough to cast to were the fish is holding with out spooking the fish or alerting him to your presence is a hole different ball game when wading .When I say this I am only talking about lunkers most of them just slide on out of the area with out you noticing before you get in casting range .Saltwater lines IMHO were all designed to be casted while wading. All you needed is one false cast to shoot out 60 plus feet of line with a saltwater taper line. So there is very little arm fatigue while fishing which equals a better time fishing .
Two handed rods are also great way to stop arm fatigue and gain distance at the same time. Plus they eliminate the need for room for your back cast . At first when I got my switch rod I thought that I was going to have a hard time getting the fish off of my line after I caught it. But this was all solved when I just tucked the rod under my arm to were i could grab the line and it was solved.

Snaps save you money on tippet and give you added action on you fly .Their just like tying Rapala Knot Plus they save you time because you don't have to tie knots . There about 6 bucks a pack for 50 .
SandyHook011.jpg

SandyHook012.jpg

These are all just my opinion of course

Fred,

Would you recommend looking into a saltwater taper line for the wading freshwater bass fisherman?

Thanks for the tips. I've never done any saltwater fishing with the fly rod, but I'd like to give it a try sometime.

To add to Jay's question. Has anyone fished a saltwater line in freshwater? I'm guessing they'd sink at a faster rate due to density differences in fresh/saltwater.

Jayl yes I have used a 6wt floating on the brandywine with good success and a 8wt Int on struble when I caught that carp .

Bam I would think that any line would float better in the salt because of the density of the water .

Fred or anyone- is there a reason you did'nt choose a 5 inch bite wire kind with the snap?

Do just the snaps fish better/cheaper?

What kind of taper/leader are you using?

I really don't know much about salt at all but I look forward to learning more.

You got me thinking about a Saltwater line now.

Last year when I was in Florida- I attended a workshop at Casey Key Anglers where the guy talked about how false casts were not needed. Use the tension from the water on the line to get the cast going. Gotta love the heavy winds though huh?

Also- what kinda stripping basket you got?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

akid,

start here. http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/ Nearly every question you just asked has been tackled on here. Great forum.

Here is an example of a helpful post:

Wading the Outer Banks

Spring is a great time to get out and fish some of the Outer Banks hot fishing spots. You don’t need a boat or a 4x4 to sample some of springs hottest angling! With a good pair of waders and a little sense of adventure you can experience some of the seasons best fishing. It doesn’t matter whether you cast a fly or throw a grub all persuasions can be satisfied.

Wading has many appeals to many people whether you are on a budget, a hard core do it yourselfer or just taking a morning off and looking for a little solitude. I will warn you sometimes solitude is harder to find than the fish. More and more people are discovering the sounds and the wade fishing that is available to them.
Springs sunshine warms the creeks and shallow sound side sloughs. Bait begins to arrive and predators are not far behind. There are several different predators lurking around in the sounds this time of year. They are schoolie stripers, speckled trout, bluefish and puppy drum. All of these fish are eager to please after warming up from a long winter nap.

Tackle doesn’t need to be complicated. A good choice for spinning tackle is a 6 to 7 foot rod with a matched spinning reel spooled with 6 to 8 pound test monofilament. I like to carry three types of lures in my vest pocket. The first and my favorite are several bags of Finn-s lures. These soft baits are the deadliest artificial bait in the sounds. Colors seem to be a personal preference. My choices are different from most people but they work very well for me. They are devilfish (black/red) Texas Chili (orange and black) and Rainbow trout color; other people favor the greens and chartreuse colors. Don’t limit yourself take a bag of each. I like using ¼ ounce heads on all Finn-s, the light the head the better action. The second bait is small bucktail jigs. These are a little heavier and will let you fish in a strong current. The last bait is a Rebel Pop-R, stripers love to chase these top water plugs.

Fly fishing tackle is almost as simple. A 7wt to 8 wt rod is almost perfect but anything from a 6wt to 9 wt. rod will work. You will get more use out of an intermediate fly line than a floating or a super fast sinking fly line. An intermediate fly line will let you fish more of the water column. Your rate of retrieval will let you present your fly from sub surface to the bottom. The second most important thing to have along if you are a fly fisherman is a stripping basket. This apparatus keeps the resting fly line from sinking and lets you cast with out any drag. Besides you fly rod and a stripping basket you will need a fly box full of Bob Clouser’s Deep Minnows AKA the Clouser and Lefty Kreh’s Deceivers. Both of these patterns are extremely effective and easy to fish. If you tie make you sure you tie several in each of these colors; chartreuse / white, black/ red, red/chartreuse, red /white and if you buy these are local colors and they can be found in several tackle shops here on the beach. A simple leader from six to eight foot should work. Most tackle shops now stock a few leaders and if you want to tie your own here is a quick formula for an 8wt. Four-foot butt section of 40lb mono, one-foot section of 30pound, one foot sections of 20 pound then a two-foot section of 15 or 12 or 10 pound. This Lefty Kreh’s formula taken out of his new book 101 Fly-Fishing Tips.

There are numerous wading spots, enough to fill a book, but I am going to mention three that are the easiest to fish and access. All of these locations are on the north side of the inlet. The first one you come to is the Bodie Island Lighthouse Visitor Center. When you are traveling south towards Oregon Inlet it is on the right hand side of the road marked by a brown National Park Service sign. Turn in and head toward the lighthouse , when you arrive at the visitor’s center you will pass a dirt road with a gate across it. You can park on the side of the road. Follow the dirt road until it comers out a creek. This creek is Blossies Creek or Off Island Gun Club. Fish up and down the creek. This is a prime spring spot for stripers and speckled trout. In years past ebb tide was the best tide to fish.

The second spot is actually the mouth of Blossies Creek. Continue to the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and park in the public boat launching parking lot. Beside the parking lot you will see a paved road leading to the Coast Guard Station follow this road until you reach a gate then take a couple of steps the side and follow the path and this path will bring you out to the mouth of Blossies Creek. This is an excellent spot for stripers and trout as well as bluefish. Walk up the left side of the creek until you see riprap this is a great spot to catch stripers when the tide is running strong enough to cause a rip. Ebb tide is the best but any moving water will produce fish.
The last place is in the same area. Hope in your car and move it to the front side of the Fishing Center and drive down the eastside docks all the way to the end. You will find parking places and a big propeller. This is the Propeller Slough. It is bet to prospect here on dead low water. The sloughs will be easier to find and you can learn your way around. The best time to fish here is the incoming tide after dead low water or an ebbing tide This spot is very good in the summer for speckled trout, croakers, flounder and puppy drum.
All of the spots are safe with mostly hard sand bottoms except spots at Bodie Island Light. Take a few mornings and learn these places and excellent spring fishing can be just a step away—

Tom- ok thanks.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in as well as some of my questions still remain.

acristickid wrote:
Fred or anyone- is there a reason you did'nt choose a 5 inch bite wire kind with the snap?

Do just the snaps fish better/cheaper?

What kind of taper/leader are you using?

Bought one of the "snap on each end" bite wire leaders before I went. Never used it. Still have it could come in handy at some point.

I used a 6 ft section of straight mono with a 1ft section of 40lb for a bite tippet. Blues couldn't cut it.

You got me thinking about a Saltwater line now.

I have an Orvis Clear intermediate line and a Cabela's P+ WFF line (came with the reel) haven't needed anything else yet.

Last year when I was in Florida- I attended a workshop at Casey Key Anglers where the guy talked about how false casts were not needed. Use the tension from the water on the line to get the cast going. Gotta love the heavy winds though huh?

It kind of looks like a Spey cast. Its like a roll cast then a forward cast. I don't know I still false cast when I have the room. Its harder in a boat to false cast. In a yak, it irrelevant. But you can false cast less.

Also- what kinda stripping basket you got?

I picked up mine from Orvis I thought but can;t find it on their site. I remember thinking it was quite inexpensive considering who I got it form. A lot of guys buy a plastic dish pan from the store and either glue dowels or hammer large nails up thru the bottom and just run an old belt thru it. I like my store bought one as it pretty durable. Look like the one Fred has in his pics from Sandy Hook but the front of mine is rounded instead of square.

The snap doesn't replace a wire/shock tippet completely . But when I caught that blue their were no bite marks on my line and he took a little drag when I caught him . I was told that wire leaders scare off some stripers so I went with the medium of the two and didn't want to mess with my fly being tied to 40 plus tippet .

My stripping basket is made by orvis its pricey but i'm told its the best and will last a life time

Paul,

I have only used spinning and conventional gear in the salt, but I found that 30-40lb fluoro was fine for a bite leader. While I'm not sold on the "fluoro is invisible under water" thing, I do feel that it's better than mono for wary fish. I've also noticed that it has better abrasion resistance.

One bite tippet could usually last me through a dozen spanish mackerel and a half dozen blues before I had to retie. The blues were worse because they were blitzing. They'd fight over the lure after I hooked one, so the leader got chewed badly.

I originally used barrel swivels to connect the tippet to prevent twisting, but bluefish would hit them and cut my mainline. I recommend an albright knot.

Nice Clouser in that pic Fred

Thanks for the help.

I've found the same thing. I use SA Striper fast sink line with my 8wt for surf fly fishing. It's also great for Susquehanna fishing when the water is deep and fast.
And the snaps are very important. When you use 15lb or heavier tippet, the loop on the snap gives the streamer a much better action. A Clinch or Uni drags the fly and doesn't look as natural.
Also they have smaller snaps made just for flies. Same good action on streamers, just half the size.
I agree that wire leaders scare most of the stripers away. I catch lots of blues and they don't bite off the flouro....... well, almost never!
The stripers are starting to arrive along the NJ coast now. This is more action than steelhead fishing.

Wish I lived closer to salt but the 9 hour ride limits my opportunity or I would probably be obsessing over salt much more.

Hopefully over time I can keep picking up tips and tactics for saltwater like the other board posters. Still evolving as a fly fisher.

If you fit it in with a trip to the Delaware its only another hour or two ride for a day trip.

Not like I get to the Delaware often either with the 8 hour drive. If I lived in eastern PA I would make frequent trips there- big wild trout!!! I want to catch a rainbow there- never have.

I suppose there are really a number of different factors that come into play with saltwater fly tackle. One of the biggest is determining whether you're fishing the "flats" or the surf. Certainly makes a difference in where you need to place the fly or if you just have to "get it out into the surf". Also, what kind of quarry are you going after? Spooky bonefish or super aggressive bluefish?

My experiences from this past summer wading the Oregon Inlet in the Outer Banks was that I didn't have to make casts that were 60-100'. Many of the strikes were as close as ten feet. I also saw the spin guys hooking up at close proximity as well. I practiced my double hauling and it was fun casting for distance, but when it got down to brass tacks, the fish weren't that far away.

I agree with giving your baitfish imitation some "life" by not cinching it in. I use the "Kreh loop" almost exclusively when tying on a Clouser, bugger, or other fly that needs "life". The snaps certainly are an efficient way to change out flies if needed and spend more time fishing.

As far as lines go, I didn't get a saltwater taper line, but instead just a regular WF flaoting line with intermediate clear tip. I'd have to guess that spey casting is a bit different and the dynamics are a bit different than a single-handed cast. Using two hands most certainly distributes the workload between both arms thus extending fishing time. There's no doubt that after a few hours of single-arm casting, you start to feel it. I'd be curious to try a saltwater taper line on my 8wt, but for the few times I saltwater fish, I wanted a line that could pull "double duty" and work on freshwater as well.

Saltwater fly fishing is fun because the fish aren't picky and most if not all of them have teeth! It's a great way to enhance a family vacation and a good diversion from fishing #26 flies to finicky trout! :-D

I have learned the Flyers still blow.

acristickid wrote:
I have learned the Flyers still blow.

Paul- you would be better severed in those general threads where people ask for fishing spots. You could be a fish pimp.

Back