Speedwell - fill 'er up, please!

wgmiller

wgmiller

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/after-empty-years-speedwell-forge-lake-being-filled-again/article_eb210f76-c9e9-11e5-a066-c70c5efb25c7.html

Thanks for posting up that article Geo. It'll be good to see that WW fishery reestablished over the next few years. I hope the Crappies take hold.

I am of opposite opinion ;-)

I think that 6.5 Mil could have been used to restore more of the native brookie range instead of making an artificial fishery. But that's just me. Conserve the natural resources instead of sacrificing them for unnatural resources. I may be alone in that.

The lake is just gonna fill up w/ silt again in several years anyway. Then what?

The lake never was any good fishing. I doubt it ever will be. Waste of resources. I'm with Sasquatch.
All the owners of fancy homes around there now just want the lake restored to add value to their properties.$$$$$$$$$$$$

Saw on the news that the dam project only cost 4mil not the projected 6.4m and expected to last 50 yrs. also its a boating resource too and that in addition to the fishing adds econimic benefits to the area.

Way more than gemmie fishing.

Haha well I wasn't thinking necessarily of the gemmie fishing, just of what should be there naturally.

The largemouth bass population was exceptionally good. Everyone who witnessed the fish salvage operation at the end of the lake's drawdown was impressed. The bass were there, but there were no guarantees given that angler's could catch them. Electrofishing had documented this population year's before the drawdown and the drawdown affirmed that observation.

The wild card, as usual, is the question of what typical lake or pond species, if any, remains in the creek that could reproduce and have either a positive or negative impact on the initial population balance. Before someone suggests it, given the lay-out and large drainage above to harbor incidental individuals, removal would have been futile.

Fill 'er up, but not so fast!!! :-D

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/speedwell-forge-lake-intentionally-drained-after-it-filled-too-fast/article_be663154-d426-11e5-8e8a-dff3a98a0ccf.html

Back